Profile for Skipper > Reviews

Content by Skipper

Skipper

Vitamin D3 Optimum Strength - 5,000 IU | One a Day Easy to Swallow Tablets | 1 Year Supply 365 Tablets |Innopure®
Offered by Get Gorgeous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exremely good value I suffer from COPD and, 31 Dec. 2014
Exremely good value

I suffer from COPD and, as a result, I tend to get lots of colds in the winter months. I've known for some time that vitamin D3 is recommended to boost your immune system to prevent illnesses. Although I have been taking D3 for some time now, I hadn't really seen any improvement.

However, I have read numerous articles on the internet recently about the benefits of using high doses of D3 (5000 iu - 50,000) which all state that the current recommended dosage (400 iu - 1000 iu) is far far too low. I believe that the NHS now are considering changing their recommendations which were previously based on concerns regarding the toxicity of high doseage of D3. In fact, I was invited to be a guinea pig on an NHS funded research project a couple of years ago involving the use of high doses on patients with my condition. For personal reasons at the time, I was unable to attend.

Anyway, having decided to use high doseages on myself, I investigated the costs of the various high dose D3 tablets on the market, I decided that this product offered the best value by far. £12.84 is an amazing price for a years supply of D3 (if using 5000iu per day) particularly as they are manufactured in the UK.

The product arrived within a few days so I an very happy with this company's service.

Live at the Isle of View
Live at the Isle of View

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Dec. 2013
Saw this live performance when I was much younger (1995?) on BBC, I think. Then got the CD which was then lost in a burglary. Got another copy a few years ago but hadn't listened to it recently until tonight. I think it's the best of the 'unplugged' albums at that time and also the best Pretenders album.
Chrissie Hynde's vocals are immense.

A Life for a Life (Parish & Richards Book 1)
A Life for a Life (Parish & Richards Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars This has to be on a parallel universe, 13 Aug. 2013
I can't believe that this book still has 4 stars! :-). I read it a year or two ago, but only out of morbid curiosity after the first chapter or two.

I won't go into detail because I think that other reviewers on here (or at least the ones who, like myself, don't get it) have said it all.

Where does anyone start? Plot? Writing? Characters? Reearch? Geography? Online dating agencies where men get loads of women contacting them gagging for it (?) a few hours after he's submitted his profile?

All I can assume is that the author is having a laugh and this is set in a parallel universe.

Submarine [Original Songs]
Submarine [Original Songs]

5.0 out of 5 stars Apologies if I've already reviewed this album (EP) but ...., 6 May 2013
I'm sitting here at 3pm in the morning and listening to this album again. You can't put this man in a box. This is so far away from the Arctic Monkeys. Everything he does is brilliant. Get it.

The Cider House Rules [DVD] [2000]
The Cider House Rules [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Tobey Maguire
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 16 Jan. 2013
I watched this film a few years ago and loved it.

I then read the book (which I also loved) and realised just what a cinematic work of art this was. The book is over 700 pages long and the film (2 hours long) captured the essence of it. There are films out there that are based on books almost half the size but totally miss the point (The Time Traveller's Wife for example) and do not do the books justice.

If you like the film, read the book - it puts the flesh on the bone.

Submarine [DVD]
Submarine [DVD]
Dvd ~ Craig Roberts
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another film that you love or hate. Me? Guess, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Submarine [DVD] (DVD)
I first watched this film in the early hours of the morning on a long haul flight in November 2011 (I can never sleep on planes) and recently decided to watch it again as it did hit a nerve. It is a film that some people will love (me) and others will not appreciate. It is funny but that depends on your sense of humour I guess.
Although the films are not alike, it reminds me of another British 'comedy' film made a few years ago 'In Bruges', in that many of my friends loved it and often, even now, quote lines from it, whereas other people that I know didn't get it at all.
All that I can say is, watch it and don't rely on other people's views.

PS. The score by Alex Turner is terrific and the book on which it is based is also very good.

The Basement
The Basement

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 23 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Basement (Kindle Edition)
I read Private Dancer by this author because I was recommended it by a friend before going to Thailand for the first time. Prior to reading Private Dancer I also bought some other books for my Kindle by the author because they were cheap.
Private Dancer was ok but very repetitive; the main character constantly repeating the same mistake. I knew everything the author was trying to say by just going on the internet.

Now this book.

I read a lot and a lot of crime/thrillers/police books, whatever you want to describe them as (as well as other books). I was reminded quite early on of the repetitiveness of the book above. It consists of the main character (who is quite obnoxious in order to make you believe that he is the perpetrator of the crimes) and two other characters (the detectives). You go through a sequence of the main character talking about his ideas for film scripts, his interaction with the detectives and the serial killer describing what You(and if you read the book you will know why I say 'You') are doing to the woman who has been kidnapped. After a while it gets very boring (reminding me of Private Dancer). When there is only 3 main characters (apart from the kidnapped lady) and you know there is suppose to be a surprise ending (which you really hope for), guess what? There isn't.

The idea is quite a good one but, unfortunately, I don't think the ending will shock you. Maybe it's me. I think that another writer may have made more out of it.

I have some other books by Stephen Leather to read. I hope that they are better than the ones I have read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2012 1:25 PM GMT