Profile for Borchester Beauty > Reviews

Borchester Beauty

One Chance: A Memoir
One Chance: A Memoir

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 6 Jan 2014
An amazing story. An entertaining read of triumph over difficulties. He sounds genuine and humble. Not a pretty story in places but a good end!

English-Latvian Illustrated Dictionary - Classified
English-Latvian Illustrated Dictionary - Classified
by J. Langs

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and entertaining!, 19 Dec 2012
Bought this for a young Latvian girl at school here in England. Very interesting and amusing book. We have laughed a lot using it and the illustrations are great. A wide range of useful vocab.

Adele - Someone Like Me - The Story of [DVD]
Adele - Someone Like Me - The Story of [DVD]

1.0 out of 5 stars Adele bah humbug, 20 May 2012
My husband said I should return this DVD! When you receive it you notice on the front cover of the DVD the word 'unauthorised' which of course is not mentioned at all in any of the Amazon product descriptions. The Amazon description even uses the phrase 'Adele's own words!' Of course, where Adele speaks the words are from old interviews, etc. I am almost 100% certain they were not made for the DVD. The performances of the songs are not in full, short clips, just enough I dare say to show before you have to pay copyright - am I cynical?.

I watched the DVD all the way through and was mildly amused but feel strongly that I could have got the details from looking at the Huffington Post or the Welcome page on AOL. The DVD feels very much like one of those endless 'chart' programmes so beloved of ITV2. The top 500 pop stars of 2010. Full of soundbites and people talking about Adele. The biographical details were very skimpy. The description of the DVD given by Amazon gives us almost all the details contained in the DVD.

My overall feeling is, well it was entertaining but clearly cashing in on Adele's success, heavily focused at the American market, annoyingly so for a British audience. Sorry but that's how I felt. I still adore Adele and her music but this was not a biography, not her story; unauthorised is the word.
The product is good for what it is but I feel that possibly it was not described accurately, over-hyped and over-priced.