Profile for ianjindal > Reviews

Content by ianjindal

ianjindal "ianjindal" (London, UK)

Incipio Smart Feather Snap On Case for Apple iPad Mini Retina - Black
Incipio Smart Feather Snap On Case for Apple iPad Mini Retina - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fit and feel, slim profile, 1 May 2014
This is my third case for my iPad mini and the first with which I'm satisfied. Fit, feel and quality are all great and none of the vital holes for the retina are obscured.

Corners felt a little bulky at first but they do allow the cover to 'nestle' nicely and also provide protection.

The folding integrated 'smart cover' is OK but doesn't hold the ipad as securely as the Apple version.

Buy it, put it on, feels nice, forget. Can't ask for more.

Leuchtturm1917 A5 Medium Genuine Leather Dotted Notebook - Black
Leuchtturm1917 A5 Medium Genuine Leather Dotted Notebook - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious paper, cuddleable cover and page numbers!, 10 Dec 2013
I love dotted paper since you have the benefit of lines for writing, squares for diagrams and you can just about imagine them disappeared when you want to go off-piste.

The paper in the Leuchtturms is lovely. I prefer to the moleskin paper since it's better for a fountain pen and has admirable resistance to bleed through.

It seems a small thing, but having page numbers is vital and there's a neat index at the front of the notebook so you can set out the contents.

Now in my thirds year of using these and they've outlasted all pads to date in my affections, despite many siren calls...

City Cycling Europe
City Cycling Europe
by Andrew Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully conceived and executed, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: City Cycling Europe (Hardcover)
This is genius - ideal for the rider in your life either when on the sofa and planning or (conceivably) to take for a city break or grand tour.

in the age of apps-for-everything this is delicious artefact, beautifully designed and realised that has real presence and enjoyment.

It's even spawned the notion of taking a brompton on a city break, or really getting something a little extra from bike-hire at the destination as a new perspective on a city.

Targus Laser Professional Presenter - Green
Targus Laser Professional Presenter - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Good heft, useful controls, strong laser, 10 Dec 2013
I go through laser pointers with great regularity, and to be fair there's no better value than the logitech (robust, light, survives being dropped). When I couldn't get one with a green laser I found this via search.

The build is excellent, metal with a rubberised outer, HOWEVER the battery cover is a bit flimsy and comes away when you drop it...

The forward/advance buttons are easy to feel and firm/sure in action. The volume buttons are oddly useful.

The top plate slides down to reveal some additional buttons - one for screen blackout and the other to switch the pointer from advance (forward/back) mode to 'mouse mode'. In the latter mode the black joystick button then acts as a mouse controller rather than the laser. Again, I thought this was a gimmick but now I've used it it's surprisingly useful. Movement's a bit slow, and trying to slide and fiddle with buttons takes some practice, but it's an occasional nice-to-have.

The pointer can be set for Mac or PC, Keynote and Powerpoint, via a little selector switch in the battery department. Fiddly if you use both (as I do), but better to be compatible than not.

Final quibble is that 'parking' the USB dongle into the pointer does not turn it off (as it does in the logitech ones). There's an on-off switch on the unit's left hand side. One thing to remember.

That's it. Bit of a luxury gadget for those who present a lot and like the feel of something more than just plastic. Not sure if it's "worth" it, but I do enjoy using it - and for a thing like a pointer, that's a lot to be said :)

A Quiet Flame: A Bernie Gunther Novel: A Bernie Gunther Mystery (Bernie Gunther Mystery 5)
by Philip Kerr

4.0 out of 5 stars A love story between Bernie, the author and a world view, 1 Jan 2013
This is my second Bernie novel and I'm enjoying the pace, the story lines, the between-the-eyes historical context and of course Bernie's one-line dry reflections on life.

Bernie's liberal sensibilities lead him to occasionally sound like a modern mouthpiece, but the reflections upon what drives normal people to supernormal cruelty are considered, in charact and in context.

Speaking of which, the move to a new milieu in Argentina gives a longer view on the Second World War while showing that it won't as much a point in time as a set of attitudes and opportunities that could be instantiated elsewhere if evil stars align.

This is a fast, rewarding read with enough plot twists for several books and a balance of danger, tension and darkness to keep one on one's toes.

It falls short of a 5 star for me since the first-person narrative occasionally shows us its own cleverness or a modern turn of phrase or sensibility that makes you feel more a part of a finely-crafted history lesson than immersed in a novel. Kerr's crafting of his worlds is so thorough that these occasional moments stand out more. Not enough to put one off the novel - indeed I'm just downloading the next one.

FOCAL CMS 40 (UNIT PRICE) Monitoring speakers Analog monitoring
FOCAL CMS 40 (UNIT PRICE) Monitoring speakers Analog monitoring
Offered by Kazbar Systems

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding clarity - revealing, neutral and an utter joy, 4 Nov 2012
I was initially sceptical about spending this much on a pair of monitors for the computer at home. We had been through the usual Soundsticks, Bose and other Mac-compatible stereo thingies, but to be honest the music was either flat or overly-bassy. The thought of laying down yet another £150 made me pause: might there be something better?

The move into podcasting and needing an XLR input led me to look at studio monitors. I listened to these at West End DJ in London as was really shocked.

Cutting to the chase, they work really well on the desk either side of my mac. For small rooms and close distances they are astounding. This is the 'nearfield monitor' part - they are opimised to be clear and revealing at close listening distances (2-6 ft).

MP3s have a bit more life and space, while AAC and CDs show things I'd never heard before even on an iPod with excellent earbuds. I also have a lot of studio masters and 96khz recordings and I've never really heard much difference between them and CDs - until now.

Despite having a great hi-fi I prefer listening at my computer now.

Note that to get these to work with a Mac you'll need to have something to convert the XLR connections to USB. I went for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. This gives a USB to XLR output for the speakers, as well as a headphone amp as output. In addition it'll accept two XLR or 3.5mm microphones as input too.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2013 11:38 PM BST

Mophie Juice Pack Air External Battery Case Made for iPhone 4/4s in Black - MFi Approved

2.0 out of 5 stars Ugly, heavy, ill-fitting, plasticy - and obscures the buttons, 15 Mar 2011
I am disappointed with this product since it falls down in two important areas:

1) fit and feel.

The feel of the rubberised parts is good, but the 'metal' band is tacky and the fit is so flimsy that the top part keep slipping off in my pocket. In all, a real step down from the iPhone finish or the nicer rubberised cases. A bit falling off it just a pain.

2) access to buttons and jack

I bought this primarily to extend battery life when doing video interviews (which the iPhone's been great at doing). The case has cut-outs for the 3.5mm jack, but only the very slimmest, straight jack has any chance whatever of fitting. My mics don't, so the case is useful. Check before you buy, especially if your headphones or mic are anything other than the most sveldte. Aslo, accessing the sound on/off, volume keys and the on/off buttons is a pain. They become recessed and awkward to access.

This is now in a draw awaiting an ebay clearout, and I've written it off to experience.

Far better is an external battery pack - indeed Mophie make one themselves. I got a no-brand, 2xUSB 5000mah battery that's doing great.

If you want to just extend the battery life then you may well like this, but I suggest that you try a unit for fit along with your prized peripherals before committing.

Comply T-500 Isolation Earphone Tips - (Medium) Platinum
Comply T-500 Isolation Earphone Tips - (Medium) Platinum

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformed the experience - comfort and sound, 23 April 2010
I bought these due to seeing the 'comply' name in other reviews. I have Ultimate Ears Superfi Pros and really liked them, but I'd switched to the foam tips supplied (the yellow ones like the earplugs supplied on a plane) and - while they were more comfortable for me than the silicon ones - they were wearing out.

These comply ones were simple to fit, were immediately comfortable and enhanced the sound: bass is more 3d, treble more rounded. I already liked the Superfis - now I like them even more.

The seal is very soundproof - so much so that I don't hear people talking to me. This is partly sound isolation and partly involvement in whatever I'm listening to.

The fit's good and the earbuds no longer work loose while walking or when in the gym, and due to their softness and fit there's not the 'thud thud' you get with silicon tips as they move in your ear during exercise.

These are so comfortable that I wear my earbuds for longer periods without fatigue and I've also noticed that the volume level is down a couple of notches compared with the old foam tips.

Since they're so soft and compress so easily I feel that they may not last, however I'm still on my first pair and so this could be an unfounded concern.

Given the cost of the Superfis I can't understand why it doesn't come with these as standard.

Highly recommended.