Profile for P J > Reviews

Maypole 94428 28-inch 4x4 Wheel Cover
Maypole 94428 28-inch 4x4 Wheel Cover
Price: 8.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprising quality at a low price, 5 July 2014
It's difficult to get too excited about what is essentially a spare wheel cover but I wanted one for my car as it didn't have one when I got it. I looked at loads at differing prices from a range of sellers but settled for this one to see what it was like. I have to say that for just under 9 this is a surprisingly good quality product with a soft grey faux material or finish on the inside and was fitted without issue to the spare wheel on a Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 with a bit of room to spare. I agree with others who say that the lack of a drain hole may well encourage it to collect water but I plan to add a drain hole in due course and I also have no doubt that any creases will smooth out properly. Whether it stands the test of time with the elements remains to be same but at the price and with the quality of the product I have received I have no reason to think it will need replacing anytime soon if at all. I believe a reviewer suggested that as it's elasticated it may be easily removed by someone but that same argument can be applied to more expensive covers that aren't physically "locked" in place in any case ( if someone feels the need to take a spare wheel cover I'd far rather they took something like this cheaper one anyway).

I am more than happy with it and it has saved me the need to pay over the odds on either genuine or alternative aftermarket wheel covers that are simply too expensive to think about at the moment especially when you consider that some of those are not too dissimilar in terms of product finish or construction to this one anyway.

Maxiscan MS309 Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader
Maxiscan MS309 Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader
Offered by YES MY GADGET
Price: 13.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Did it's job on two vehicles and once connected was actually very easy and straight forward to use, 1 July 2014
This item is available from a number of suppliers on Amazon and I actually bought this as a fulfilled by Amazon purchase from Digibuy2013 a month or two ago to help diagnose any check engine light issues that can arise but was able to put it to effective use today. It enabled me to check, read and clear the check engine light code on a UK model 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 (this vehicle has an OBD Port under the drivers side of the dash for direct connection). I have also been able to successfully link with a UK model 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited (with an OBD connector located under the drivers side of the dash for direct connection). The scanner enabled me to read any codes (if stored) and provided guidance on screen as to what they meant and could clear them. The scanner couldn't or wouldn't bring up either vehicles VIN information but it was the check engine light and code reading that I bought it for so I am not phased by this given the low cost of the device (note that if you are looking for ABS, Service Light or SRS reset functions and not just check engine light diagnostics this isn't the device for you as those additional three functions are NOT supported).

Anyway, it did it's job on these two vehicles and once connected was actually very easy and straight forward to use :-)

I have a three pin to 16 pin honda adaptor lead but the scanner would NOT link to a UK model 1998 Honda CRV (three pin diagnostic port on passenger side of vehicle toward bottom of centre console). Initially when connected I thought it would as the scanner screen sprang into life but full connection couldn't be established with the Honda's computer whichever approach I tried with it .

I am happy with the scanner as it will allow me to check and clear codes on the vehicles I own and can link with but if you are looking for something that may be completely compatible for the UK market double check first what type of on board diagnostic software and ports your vehicle has and don't necessarily rely on the mixed mass of information or opinion that is sprawled across the internet on this subject as I ended up going round in circles at one point trying to research and understand it.

MaximalPower's 2500mAh Sony Info Lithium Battery for CCD Series
MaximalPower's 2500mAh Sony Info Lithium Battery for CCD Series
Price: 14.56

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Feb 2013
Unfortunately I found the performance of this battery disappointing (even though I was planning to use it with a photography light and/or field monitor):

The battery seemed to charge relatively quickly (perhaps too quickly) but discharged at a surprisingly quick rate giving me minimal useage time compared to other batteries that I own and use of a similar capacity. In fact, allowing the battery to totally discharge so it wouldn't power anything to allow a full charge didn't seem to make any difference to it and frankly, given the range of other options of battery that are available (in terms of price and capacity) this particular battery disappointed on all fronts and so was returned to Amazon for a refund (to be fair to the manufacturer I should point out the battery does come with a three year warranty).

It's possible I was just unlucky and had a dud one or a battery that was going to take a multitude of discharges and recharges to reach full capacity but, it's a new battery and so shouldn't be an issue - to conclude, I wasn't prepared to place my faith in it because it's performance (or lack of it) suggested otherwise.

7dayshop Pro Grey / White / Black 10"x8" Card Exposure and Colour Calibration Set - More consistent results, save time in post production. Better Images for your Canon EOS and Nikon DSLR Cameras.
Offered by 7dayshop Limited (VAT Registered)
Price: 5.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Photography White Balance / Exposure Card Set, 4 Feb 2013
Great price for these large (A4 size or similar) exposure and colour calibration cards. Made from what appears to be hard wearing plastic and so should provide long term use without suddenly breaking! With their own storage box and instruction leaflet (should you need guidance on their use) they are a good buy in terms of price and build quality. I use them (as well as a smaller set) for photography with both artificial and natural light to use a custom setting for white balance whilst shooting and also for referencing in post processing if necessary.

I haven't been disappointed with the results and the investment I have made in these cards to give me more accurate results than some camera settings permit. Yes they are big and won't fit in your pocket but their size doesn't cause me an issue and I store them in my photography rucksack. Just to mention that I also now have a smaller set (incidentally also supplied by 7dayshop) with which I am equally as happy in terms of quality, price and result so if you need something smaller it may be worth you checking the price on those too.

I hunted around for a grey card set and with so many available of differing sizes and prices (and quality of finish from the reviews I have read) I am glad I bought these and would recommend them without hesitation as well as the supplier 7dayshop :-)

YONGNUO Pro LED Video Light YN-160 for Canon 5D,7D,50D,60D,500D,550D,600D,1000D,1100D,Nikon D700,D300,D400.D200,D90,D60,D3,D2,D1,D7000,D5000,D3100,D3000,Olympus E620,E520,E510,E500,E420,E3,E1,E-P3,EP2,EPL-3,EPL-2,Panasnic LX5,GH1 GF1 GF2,Pentax,Fuji,Sony DSLR/SLR & Camcorder
Offered by douself
Price: 30.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Entry Level Camera / Studio Light, 7 Jan 2013
With some trepidation (purely because of the relatively cheap price compared to professional or branded units) I ordered this item and my line of thought was that after reading loads of reviews and checking prices I figured I had nothing really to lose.

I have concluded it has turned out to be a good and worthwhile purchase:

It was delivered quickly after ordering and was contained within a preprinted retail box with all the bits and bobs that I expected after looking at the item pictures on Amazon. In fact all the "accessories" that came with it were stored in their own clear bags and the lighting unit itself stored within its carry bag for transit within the box. It basically all looked new and unused (okay admittedly as it should but you never know sometimes). There are instructions and though the chinese-english translation isn't the best it didn't in any case take long to get this light working on a set of AA batteries and also a Sony type camcorder battery - all of the LED's lit up on "power on" which gave me confidence in it to begin with: In fact, operation of the light is fairly fool proof if you take your time on initially getting to grips with what the buttons do and how it all fits together. All of the unit buttons are labelled and all appear to function as they should. The unit throws out enough light for me to do what I wish to do and the barn doors are an added bonus to assist with a degree of lighting effect. The filters slot into the housing making them easy to place and remove and seem to work as intended. Whether it throws out enough light is difficult to comment on - peoples opinions are always going to differ depending on expectation though I did come across an interesting youtube video that made comparisons between this light and a few others which also helped me to decide to take a gamble on this one (search youtube or even google the model and make and I am sure you will find it too).

Build quality seems fine given the price unless of course you plan to drive a steam roller over it. Would it take really rough handling? Probably not but I tend to treat any type of equipment like this carefully (irrespective of cost) in any case to avoid having to replace something unnecessarily - clearly time will tell how it fairs with long term handling and use. I should say that whilst I will use it as "portable" lighting in all probability it will spend much of its time placed and mounted on a lightstand and so far I havent encountered any issues with this as it seems happy to sit mounted on a stand without me having to worry that it will decide to fall off or even slip over on its adjustable bracket.

Am I happy? Yes as it will provide me with an effective bit of lighting kit for photography and video without an enormous price tag and, but for the fact the price of this particular light seems to fluctuate so much on Amazon (increasing since I ordered mine), I would of bought another as at around thirty pounds or so it represents good value compared to so many others that are available at a similar and sometimes higher price point.

30M CAT5e RJ45 ETHERNET LAN NETWORK PATCH LEAD CABLE
30M CAT5e RJ45 ETHERNET LAN NETWORK PATCH LEAD CABLE
Offered by Gadgetsonline
Price: 2.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Networking Cable, 16 Sep 2012
I was beginning to grow tired of the instability of a wireless connection from a router to a second desktop PC so decided to get a cable to hard wire the desktop to the router instead. Came across this 30M CAT5e RJ45 ETHERNET LAN NETWORK PATCH LEAD CABLE with more than enough in terms of length (30 metres) and at a great price too.

Arrived well packaged and delivered quickly from the Seller and well within the delivery window set by Amazon. The cable itself simply works without any loss of networking speed or connection issues between PC and Router and appears to be sturdy enough to withstand day to day usage - with cables like this I tend to work on the basis of once plugged in I will leave it plugged in so I don't foresee any real problem arising with it.

Even with that said it appears to be sturdy and well finished as cables go and should be able to withstand a fair ammount of unplugging and plugging back in in any case and I would be surprised if it broke through normal use. Yes that can happen, but it can also happen with more expensive cables irresepctive of who made it or sold it to you.

Its like anything of this type, looked after and treated with care I don't really foresee any problem or need to question its build quality and for the price, even if it did "accidentally or otherwise break" as cables sometimes can irrespective of how much you pay, it's not going to cost the earth to replace it. Obviously, if it falls apart within a few months of purchase I'd return the cable but I would do that in any case with any "faulty" product.

All in all very pleased so recommended.

JJC replacement Canon ET-60 Lens Hood for CANON EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Offered by Mcoplus
Price: 5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars JJC Lens Hood, 25 Jun 2012
I was after a lens hood and this is one of two I ordered - this one being a perfect fit for the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens on a Canon EOS 600D and at a fraction of the price of the genuine Canon branded part. From what I can make out the parts appear almost identical save for the branding and lets face it, it is a piece of plastic and I didn't really want to pay over the odds for a genuine Canon one. That said, I have no reason to question the quality of the "plastic" used for this JJC replacement as its as sturdy and well finished as I would expect it to be in order for it to last whilst doing its job!

Supplied in a JJC printed retail box I had it fitted to the lens within seconds (literally) without issue. Ordered from Powerplanet (as they had it at the best price when ordering and) it arrived well packaged and well within the delivery window set by Amazon.

Has to be five stars in all respects.

UPDATE: 22nd November 2013

No issues at all with item which is still in use :-)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars JJC Lens Hood, 25 Jun 2012
I was after a lens hood and this is one of two I ordered - this one being a perfect fit for the standard 18-55 lens supplied with a Canon EOS 600D and at a fraction of the price of the genuine Canon branded part. From what I can make out the parts appear almost identical save for the branding and lets face it, it is a piece of plastic and I didn't really want to pay over the odds for a genuine Canon one. That said, I have no reason to question the quality of the "plastic" used for this JJC replacement as its as sturdy and well finished as I would expect it to be in order for it to last whilst doing its job!

Has to be five stars in all respects.

UPDATE: 22nd November 2013

No issues at all with item which is still in use :-)

Giottos GTMML 3270B 4 Section 170cm Pro Monopod
Giottos GTMML 3270B 4 Section 170cm Pro Monopod
Price: 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Giottos 3270B Pro 170 cm Monopod, 5 May 2012
I bought this monopod for use with a Canon EOS 600 D with which I use a battery grip and telephoto lens so having checked alot of specifications it was the 12kg load bearing capacity of this monopod which swung me as it should more than adequately cater for whatever camera and attached accessories I want to use on it. Yes I did look at cheaper ones but none seem to come close in terms of load bearing capacity and with the ability to change the mount thread/head size fitting as needed (1/4" & 3/8") - not an option on alot of them it seems and it is easy to not think about what sort of weight you want the monopod to cater for as well thread size fittings for other items you may wish to mount on it when making a choice. The extended height allows for more elevation than I could possibly need in any case and at around the price I paid (thirty quid), though a bit more expensive than others, it ticked the boxes and covered the options for me.

I ordered it with a Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release and both arrived from Amazon adequately packed and well within the delivery time window suggested.

The monopod seems a well finished and solidly made quality product with the quick release levers allowing the monpod sections to extend smoothly and fully whilst locking properly and firmly into the desired height position. Reducing the monopod down in height is as easy and smooth as you would wish for when finished with it. The quick release levers certainly seem to do their job well and height adjustment could be done one handed.

An allen key is provided for removing the locking nut/screw that you need to undo to remove the circular plate to reverse the camera mount screw to the size you require. As has been mentioned by other reviewers, the instruction leaflet doesn't make it clear where this is located but once found the switchover process is straightforward enough (I have uploaded an image indicating where this locking nut is under the hand strap which should help if you get confused about it) and quickly accomplished. I did need to change the screw size over (from 1/4" to 3/8" head fitting) so that I could fit the Manfrotto Monopod Head Quick Release onto the monopod and this was done quickly without problem.

In conclusion this seems a solidly made quality product that is more than up to the job of doing what I need it to do and unless there is a need to amend this review because of an issue arising through use over the coming months, I am happy to give it five stars.

AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories Black
AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories Black
Price: 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Basics Backpack For SLR Camera's, 5 May 2012
As always, I did some research (reading reviews and checking prices with whats on offer here there and almost everywhere to the point where I confused myself about what I actually wanted the camera bag to do let alone whether I actually needed to get one. I'd been using an aluminium case to store and carry camera stuff around but in all honesty, it was too cumbersome and not discrete enough for my needs. I have at times also made use of an old camcorder shoulder bag but wanted something that would allow me to carry a camera, batteries, a couple of lenses and a few other bits and pieces with relative ease without breaking the bank and without making it obvious my bag or case contained camera equipment of some kind. Needless to say, like many others I am also all for saving money where I can.

Many of the shoulder style bags seem expensive for what they are and practically speaking don't allow you to carry that much and whilst you sometimes do get what you pay for I realised some time ago that "cheaper" doesn't necessarily mean you compromise as much as you may think in terms of quality or value for money. Similarly getting the more expensive "branded" item doesn't always mean you are getting value for money either especially when you can end up feeling that you are paying for a brand name and perhaps very little else when you make some direct comparisons between products.

At the end of the day its down to what you can afford, as well as practical and personal preference and don't forget this item does have a one year warranty from Amazon.

So, I took the plunge and bought this with it arriving quickly, well packaged and actually, to me, quite nicely finshed considering the "cheap" price. For my needs it is the right sort of size - not too big and not too small - for everyday or general use allowing me to carry a camera, lenses, batteries, and quite a few other bits and pieces that I may need when out and about taking pictures. The zips and tags all seem fine and the velcro "spacers" I have moved around to my hearts content to get them into the positions I want them in without problem and they seem firmly stuck in place. The shoulder straps are padded and adjustable and the carry handle on the top of the bag seems secure enough - as somebody else mentioned I think any wear on any of these items (as well as the bag itself or any other of its parts) would become apparent in good time unless you are particularly unlucky in this respect. The zips work and the zipper tags are still intact and seem secure enough. The bag I feel provides adequate protection for the equipment I carry in it and I wouldn't place my trust in just anything for the sake of it when it comes to camera equipment. There are two straps on the side of the bag for carrying a monopod - I think these will do the job provided you don't attach anything that's too heavy as I think doing so would potentially place too much of a strain on the straps over time as well as upset the balance of the bag from a practical "carrying it" point of view - a small lightweight monopod or small lightweight traveller tripod or similar would probably be okay - I don't carry my monopod attached to the bag for these reasons but I don't consider that to be an inconvenience.

All things considered, I think it's a good bag for what it offers in terms of size and portability and it would probably afford a bit of protection from a light shower to the equipment it contains because of the type of material it's made from though common sense dictates that I wouldn't leave anything out in the rain that I didnt want to risk getting soaked. The bag I have received seems nicely finished without any obvious flaws though long term use will eventually determine how well its been made. My own feeling is that it's like anything - if looked after and not mistreated I am sure it will provide good service and do what I want it to do for some time to come with any potential failure becoming apparent in good time.

So to conclude (unless I need to suddenly amend this review over the coming months and have returned it with the one year warranty in mind) - I am happy with my purchase and am equally happy to give it five stars because it suits my needs and compared to many other similar types of product at differing prices, I think represents good value for money at around twenty pounds.

UPDATE: 22nd November 2013

No issues at all with this which I still use to transport my DSLR, ancillary lenses and equipment - no obvious or apparent signs of wear/breakage as yet (though it did get a bit of an accidental proper soaking when I was caught out by a long period of heavy rain when I was in the middle of nowhere taking photos not long after I had it. Even so and reassuringly, my camera and equipment was protected adequately as though the inside of the bag felt a little damp in places near to where the external zip fastenings are, water had not fully penetrated through to the internal linings to totally "soak" the inside compartments which was my concern at the time. I simply allowed the bag to dry properly before using it again.)

FURTHER UPDATE: 15th May 2014

As I picked the bag up to go out for a shoot, the top carry strap broke on one side! Wasn't expecting that though I had packed a fair amount of stuff into it and had wondered if I was overloading it slightly - well question answered though fortunately bag didn't drop (I had a firm enough grip on the strap and the stitching on the other end of it held and I was actually picking it up off of a sofa). Anyway still in use and the remaining straps all still apparently secure and I may well attempt a repair to the broken strap in any case. Bag has lasted well with a lot of use though I have noticed the price has increased since I bought mine which I'm not sure makes it quite the bargain it was given there are many other bags out there to choose from to protect your kit.

That said and other than the now defunct top carry strap the bag has no other damage or obvious signs of wear and still protects my camera and lenses so, very much still a valuable and useable bit of kit!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2012 2:00 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4