Profile for G. Williams > Reviews

Content by G. Williams

G. Williams "drumbomajor" (North Wales, thankfully!)

Page: 1 | 2
English-Bulgarian Dictionary
English-Bulgarian Dictionary
by S. Boyanova

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy From Bulgaria!, 11 Jun. 2008
Super dictionary in 2 parts. Sellers here are having a laugh with these ridiculous prices! Each volume is £13 (39 Leva) from book.store.bg Site is all in Bulgarian but you can see the covers clearly!

Bulgarian-English, English-Bulgarian Dictionary (Hippocrene Practical Dictionaries)
by Ivan Tchomakov

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this. Go for a Gaberoff!, 11 Jun. 2008
I found this dictionary to be virtually useless. It was a breath of fresh air to get hold of a Gaberoff dictionary. To the best of my knowledge there are no dictionaries for Brits learning Bulgarian of any serious depth. The Gaberoff is, like 99% of the dictionaries available, for Bulgarians learning English but it is easily navigated once you have mastered the alphabet. Don't waste your money on a Hippocrene!

Some Marvels of Modern Science + Singles
Some Marvels of Modern Science + Singles

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did we have to wait so long?, 22 Mar. 2008
This album is simply incredible. I was in a band in Liverpool in the early 80s and we got them to play at a club with us as support. Simply fantastic evening! And I have a recording of that gig still :-) The most under rated of 'Peelie's' bands. Filthier and funnier than XTC and predated Primus by 20 years. The guitar interplay is just staggering. If you ever saw the Magic band with Don you'll know what I'm talking about. Just give it go and if you aren't smiling after the first track I'll refund you personally!!! I've been into this stuff since 1980 and it still gets frequent remarks like "what the hell is this mate? Can you do me a copy? It's brilliant". The Young Knives (who I also like very much by the way) are like the Diagrams diluted to 1% strength. Finally, not only do you get the album but also all the singles with b sides. What could be fairer than that? BUY IT NOW IT WILL BE BE DELETED VERY SOON!!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2010 10:32 AM BST

Themen 1 Aktuell Lektion 1-5 Kursbuch + Arbeitsbuch, (inkl. CD-ROM)
Themen 1 Aktuell Lektion 1-5 Kursbuch + Arbeitsbuch, (inkl. CD-ROM)
by Hartmut Aufderstraße

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Course But Needs A Teacher!, 25 Jan. 2008
I completed a 3 month course (9 hours a week) in Rostock and they used this book and the next one (Lektionen 6-10). It takes around 70 hours PER BOOK to get through the course and by that I mean 70 hours of class time! We only reached the first lesson in Book 2 by the end of the 3 month course. On top of this you need to put in many hours at home in preparation for the next lesson. And of course it all in German. If you are a total beginner forget it without a native German speaker to teach you. Go for the Teach Yourself or similar books.

Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7 Port Hub
Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7 Port Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Item., 7 Sept. 2007
Hmmm interesting to see all PC users having problems with this hub! Having to temporarily suffer Vista while waiting for my new Mac I can only say that the PC is probably the problem!! I have been using my Belkin hub with Mac OS X for 4 trouble free years on both iBooks and a G4. It simply works! Moral of the story is buy a Mac :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2008 12:59 AM BST

Mostly Martha [DVD] [2003]
Mostly Martha [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Martina Gedeck

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God It's Not Yank Rubbish!, 10 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Mostly Martha [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Interesting to see the reviews from yanks "if it had beed tinsletown" etc. I must also say that us Brits often ignore foreign language films which is sad. This is just a lovely safe and real film. Gedeck is simply gorgeous and it's worth watching this film just for her! Just record from Film 4 like I did, it's on fairly regularly. Save a few bob :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2010 11:25 PM GMT

Gentle Giant - Giant On The Box [DVD]
Gentle Giant - Giant On The Box [DVD]
Dvd ~ Derek Shulman
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars All Of The Above!, 22 Feb. 2007
I can only agree with all of the above. I saw Giant around this period and they were simply mindboggling. My only niggle would be about the camera work on the German TV gig. Gary Green is doing a blinding solo and the camera is on Kerry Minnear's fingers! This kind of thing permeates the show. Also the camera would spend time on a face when the fingers are producing amazing stuff; this is paticularly true of Ray Schulman. But despite these niggles it is essential viewing for any Giant fan and indeed any prog-rock fan. It is from an era when musicians were exactly that.

Lick My Decals Off Baby
Lick My Decals Off Baby

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best, 18 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Lick My Decals Off Baby (Audio CD)
I can agree with everything that Patrik Lemberg from Finland says. I had the pleasure of seeing The Magic Band 7 times. If you happen to have the original tape of "Mersey Trout", I am the voice shouting to hear Ashtray Heart which, sadly, they didn't play! And I have been listening to Decals since its release. (Yes I am an old fart!). It is simply the best Beefheart album. Astonishing musicianship. It is a polished and refined Troutmask. Leaves (over rated) Zappa's production for dead. By this I mean Zappa is over rated. He simply regurgitated Edgard Vares, Igor Stravinsky and the God that is Bela Bartok but does not warrant praise in the way those genuine innovators do. However, the good Captain was an innovator. As Jimmy Carl Black said "Frank, you may be cool but Don (Beefheart) is the real deal". I rest my case your Honour. Forget Zappa, get the real deal....buy all the Beefheart stuff apart from Uncondicionally and Bluejeans....they are utter crap.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2010 4:01 PM GMT

ANNIHILATION OF THE WICKED
ANNIHILATION OF THE WICKED
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediculous, 9 Aug. 2006
This album is off its head. Simply rediculous....in a nice way :-)

Makes Napalm Death sound slow at times.

Only Cannibal Corpse blow this stuff away....

Out of Cold Storage
Out of Cold Storage

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must have, 4 July 2006
This review is from: Out of Cold Storage (Audio CD)
If you have never heard This Heat then do so. The most underrated British band in history. Jagged filth and very amusing lyrics. If you like stuff like Hatfield you'll appreciate this band. If you never heard of Hatfield And The North then maybe you need to prepare yourself for having your mind opened.....it will lead to many hundreds of new CDs in your collection :-) Start with this one.

Page: 1 | 2