Profile for Trebor H > Reviews

Stand Upright In A Cool Place
Stand Upright In A Cool Place
Price: 12.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 28 Oct 2012
My first experience of Dodgy was in 1993 when I first heard Water Under The Bridge on the radio and I was instantly hooked. I only heard the song a couple more times over the airwaves and I don't think it even made the charts, but that was ok (although the song desreved much better) because I now had my copy of "The Dodgy Album" and had discovered a great band who only continued to improve over the coming years and then. all too soon, sadly disbanded. Now, nearly 20 years later, I am sitting listening to this latest offering and the quality and subtlety of both the musicianship and songwriting is simply mindblowing. Nigels voice too is perfect for the songs and I have to say that this is the best album I have listened to in a long, long time. I'm not quite sure how Dodgy have remained relatively unrecognised because they are without any doubt a top notch act. If anyone needs proof of how good they are, please buy this album!!

Eat Dog Eat
Eat Dog Eat
Price: 10.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: Eat Dog Eat (Audio CD)
Never been a fan of Motoread and the first I'd heard of Fastway was seeing this album in my recommendations. Listened to a few samples, surely thats Toby Jepson of Little Angels on vocals?? So I read a couple of reviews which confirmed it was and next thing I was pressing the order with one click button! I was not disappointed!! Great vocals, amazing guitar solos, crisp no frills production, top notch songwriting, good all round musicianship. This is just straight ahead rock served up how it should be!

Highly recommended

Chicago XIII: Remastered And Expanded
Chicago XIII: Remastered And Expanded
Price: 7.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Not That Bad!!, 27 Oct 2012
I must write in defence of this album. I am a long term Chicago fan and in my opinion, most of their albums including III and up to Hot Streets have contained a few stinkers (Byblos, Song of The Evergreens, Ain't it Blue, No Tell Lover to name a few) but I have always been prepared to turn a deaf ear to these as the quality of the majority of their output has been fantastic.

13 was the first Chicago album where I liked all the tracks and although I wouldn't put it up there with the eponymous double album or Chicago X, it's one of my favourites. I'm not sure why it's been labelled a disco album though, as Street Player is the only track that has any resemblance to a disco track but is that so bad anyway? and besides, the horns and percussion are amazing in it. What is different is that it is an almost total departure from jazz influences, something that Chicago had been moving further and further away from in previous albums anyway, so it should have come as no surprise! By the time we got to 17, they were even further away!

You can't hide quality musicianship and there is no question that all of the band are top quality players and the songs here are pretty good too if not cutting edge.

Mirror Ball - Live & More (2cd+dvd)
Mirror Ball - Live & More (2cd+dvd)
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 19.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Album, 19 Sep 2011
I've never been a massive fan of Def Leppard, I quite like some of their stuff and thats about it really. The main reason they are not right up there in my all time list of great rock acts is mainly because I've never been keen on their distinctive sound or on the production styles used on most of their albums which to my ear makes their songs sound a little contrived and lacking in character. Having said that, some of the songwriting is top notch. Anyway, to get to the point I bought this as a present for my wife and put it on my i-pod intending to listen to it when nothing else took my fancy. That day didnt take long to come round and so I put it on without high expectations and immediately I was blown away. This wasn't the Def Leppard I knew but a much more raw and urgent version with all the studio production tweeks and double tracking on the vocals now gone. Def Leppard live are a totally different Animal (excuse the pun) and I can honestly put this on a par with other such live greats as Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous, The Stones Get yer Yaya's Out, Cheap Trick Live in Budokan et al, its that good and the sound is fantastic. The new songs are pretty good too although I have yet to watch the DVD and I doubt I will ever get round to that, but this is worth it purely for the two music CD's

The Best Of Redbone
The Best Of Redbone
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What It Seems, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Best Of Redbone (MP3 Download)
Buyer beware!!! This is not an album of original recordings! The versions on here of Witch Queen Of New Orleans and Come And Get Your Love are simply awful. For the genuine article, go for Essential Redbone which is excellent, has a better track selection and a couple more songs. Shame I had to waste my dosh on this drivel first to learn my lesson!!

Toto: TOTO/HYDRA/TURN BACK
Toto: TOTO/HYDRA/TURN BACK

4.0 out of 5 stars In need of a remaster, 24 Jan 2011
I agree with previous reviewers that these albums (particularly Turn Back) are in dire need of a remaster. Having said that, all three are still a good listen. Unlike previous reviews, I have to disagree that Turn Back is Toto's weakest album. In my opinion, that particular dubious honour must go to Fahrenheit (not featured in this triple boxed set) I tend to favour Toto's heavier albums and Turn Back is certainly a bit more progressive than most but none the worse for that. All in all, any Toto album will give you excellent musicianship, good vocals and songwriting and a good variety of musical styles even if the production tends to be a little airbrushed sometimes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2014 9:34 PM BST

1966 and All That: My Autobiography
1966 and All That: My Autobiography
by Geoff Hurst

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 26 Mar 2008
Upon reading the other two reviews, I can concur that Geoff Hurst is most definitely a true gent as well as a sporting icon.The book served to remind me of the highly favourable impression Geoff first made on me when I had the pleasure and good fortune to meet him back in the early eighties whilst I was working in our family business. Geoff just happened to call in one day unexpectedly on business and unusually, my father was completely starstruck(which was in sharp contrast to his usual nature of being completely underwhelmed by most things in life!)My father and I had a good long chat with Geoff that day (we somehow managed to avoid talking about the Russian linesman and whether or not the ball was over the line for fear of boring him rigid)and what came over loud and clear was that Geoff Hurst is a very pleasant, genuine man with a warm, open nature and a great sense of humour. The autobiography only serves to underline this, firstly because it is written with a good deal of integrity as opposed to employing tittle tattle, gossip and recriminations to try and sell copy, and secondly, the authors many warm references to his wife and family are a welcome change to most football autobiogs,(Cloughie's being one notable exception)proving that despite some folks opinion to the contrary, there are actually more important things in life than football (aren't there??). None of this, however, makes the book dull or in any way self indulgent, in fact its packed full of interesting and humorous anecdotes (particularly Greavsies eating habits before a big game!) together with some relevant and insightful opinions on Englands lack of recent success and what is wrong with todays game.
Finally, I would just like to add that I was rather disappointed by the lack of reviews on here(one of them is even Geoff's agent!) This guy is a national sporting hero for heavens sake and the book itself is a top rate autobiography!!

One Good Turn: (Jackson Brodie)
One Good Turn: (Jackson Brodie)
by Kate Atkinson
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining yarn, 24 Feb 2008
I don't often critique books but I have a strong enough opinion about this one for it to warrant a few lines.

I enjoyed reading this book immensely and found it amusing,entertaining and well written. The authors life observations, her flowing prose and biting wit were all very much to my liking and easy to relate to. The characters too were well drawn and believable, even if some of the situations the storyline placed them in and their ractions to those situations did stretch credibility to the limit at times.

Other reviews have touched upon the fact that not all the loose ends were tied up at the end, which, admittedly they weren't, but what is the big deal in that? I find it difficult to understand why some readers like to have everything tied up in a neat little package at the finish, after all, real life just doesn't work like that. Surely a large part of the enjoyment in reading a good book is to do with appreciating the prose and being entertained by the characters and plot as you proceed through the book? If the author leaves certain aspects of the plot for the reader to use his/her imagination over, then isn't this an added benefit? What's wrong with using one's imagination a little bit for once, rather than having everything spoonfed the whole time?

Anyway, I'm meandering a little. The main point I wish to make is that I have only given this book 3 stars despite having enjoyed it immensely, which sounds like a contradiction and perhaps it is, but my main problem is the fact that to cement all the strands of the plot together,the author had to engineer a sequence of remarkable and completely improbable coincidences. Now, I am a great believer in coincidence and sometimes as they say "reality can be even more improbable than fiction" but in this case, there were simply way too many coincidences. This one single and inescapable fact unfortunately spoilt the book for me no matter how hard I tried to convince myself to the contrary.

My only other comment is that it was a real pity that the downtrodden Gloria could not have any love interest. She was crying out for some action with a hot thirty-something year old stud who, for once, was not obsessed with the idea of female physical perfection. This is not a criticism however, because I can fully appreciate that for the reader to have the maximum empathy with her long suffering and much put upon character, she needed to be beyond moral reproach, unlike her corrupt husband.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2011 3:13 AM BST

Max
Max
Price: 46.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, 13 May 2007
This review is from: Max (Audio CD)
I ordered this CD on the strenghth of one track, namely the incredible"Do Nothing Til You Hear From Me" which I had on an old vinyl 45.

Whilst this is still the best song on the album, the rest of the tracks are all still of an extremely high standard and the copy I received (which was in a cardboard sleeve and obviously a scaled down 33 cover), had an additional four tracks which were not explained on the album cover or even made mention of.

These "extras" are different versions of four of the original tracks on the album including "Do Nothing" and sound like good, albeit very raw demo versions. Well worth the money, this is quality!

Face the Music
Face the Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fantastic, 23 Aug 2006
This review is from: Face the Music (Audio CD)
Even taking into account the dodgy track "Down Home Town", this has to rate as ELO's best album. The songwriting is superior to Eldorado yet it hasn't quite reached the commercialism of A New World Record and subsequent albums. "Fire On High" is an incredible opener and leads seamlessly into probably what is THE greatest album track of all time, "Waterfall", a harmony drenched masterpiece. "Evil Woman", "Strange Magic" and "Nightrider" are three of ELO's best ever singles and then there's "Poker" which has to rate as their best rocker.

A previous reviewer claims the only good track on offer on Face The Music is "Fire On High" which makes me wonder if he has been listening to the same album!! Still, there's no accounting for taste!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 9:55 AM BST