Profile for R. Fairweather > Reviews

Content by R. Fairweather

R. Fairweather (Scotland, UK)

F1 2012 (PC DVD)
F1 2012 (PC DVD)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 9.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8, 27 July 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: F1 2012 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
So far anyway, this game works fine with Windows 8.

The in-game interface is much better than F1 2011 but there isn't much between them. Nonetheless, this is a good game which I'm glad I bought (for 8.30).

Fujitsu LIFEBOOK AH532 15.6-inch Laptop (black) - Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)  4GB RAM, 500GB hard disk, DVDRW SM, Intel HD graphics 4000, Intel Centrino N2230 802.11b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth v4.0, HD webcam, Windows 8 64-bit
Fujitsu LIFEBOOK AH532 15.6-inch Laptop (black) - Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz) 4GB RAM, 500GB hard disk, DVDRW SM, Intel HD graphics 4000, Intel Centrino N2230 802.11b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth v4.0, HD webcam, Windows 8 64-bit

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain!, 19 July 2013
I'm really pleased with this laptop. There're a couple of things that I would've like to have known when deciding whether or not to buy it:

1) The finish on the one I received is matte rather than gloss. The pictures on this page seem to be of both types so I wasn't sure what to expect.

2) The one I got has 1x4GB RAM chip (rather than 2x2GB) so it has space for a second chip. I've looked around and can get another 4GB for around 25 which is a cheap way to boost performance.

3) The bumps on the mouse pad are really small - I stopped noticing them in less than a minute of using it and haven't thought about it since.

4) It's really quiet (compared to my old Dell Studio 1535). Even when a CD is ripping, it's not intrusive.

5) The speakers are as good as you could expect from a laptop (especially at this price). The stereo effect is very good but the bass is lacking. With headphones or through speakers, the sound is excellent.

6) I'm not much of a gamer but the one I have tried so far is Command & Conquer 4 and that runs very well with medium-high settings. I can't say about modern games, but everything so far has felt fast and smooth.

The only cons I can think of are:

1) There's slight movement of the disc tray when you lift it up (i.e. when that part is supporting the weight of half the laptop). The build quality otherwise feels really good so I don't expect this will worsen, but this element makes it feel a little cheap. Apart from this one bit which you only notice when moving it, the build and design seem very robust and impressive.

2) I don't how other recent laptops come, but the primary hard drive (C:) on this is only 75GB while the secondary (D:) has 373GB. This is only a problem because My Documents automatically goes to C: so when I tried to put all of my music, pictures, and videos on to it, the drive was full. These things can easily be put in the other drive but I had to change some settings about where ripped cds automatically save etc. and this was a bit of a pain. Once setup correctly, I don't anticipate further problems with this.

Final remarks:
* Windows 8 is okay. I strongly suggest you watch a few tutorial videos on how to set it up to your taste. After a few days with it it's really growing on me.

* The laptop looks, feels, and functions better than I could've hoped. If it lasts (and German manufacturing history suggest it should), then this will be a really good purchase.