Profile for S. Feenan > Reviews

Watership Down
Watership Down
by Richard Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect book, 25 Nov 2006
This review is from: Watership Down (Paperback)
When I was around fifteen my parents and I had this deal where for every "classic" book I bought (and read), they would buy me the usual books I would tend to (Stephen King, Chistopher Pike, in fact, anything with blood and gore). Watership Down was one of classics I bought to keep them happy. However, despite the attitude I had to sitting down to reading this "book about rabbits," it didn't take long for me fall in love with this book. Hard.

I couldn't agree more with the reviewer who talked about the goosebumps he feels every times he reads the opening lines "The primroses were over." The whole book is truely sensational and a classic for a reason.

An amazing, emotive, and beatifully written read. I am now 23, still a fan of blood, gore and all things violent and it's still, by quite a long way, my favourite book - the only close contenders being the Dark Materials Trilogy.

Kudos to your genius, Richard Adams, for making a "book about rabbits" one of the all time greats

The Last Vampire
The Last Vampire
by Christopher Pike

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 25 April 2003
This review is from: The Last Vampire (Paperback)
I originally only read the first chapter of this book in the back of one of his other books, and wholly based on that, I bought and read the rest of it. I was blown away. I think i was only 14 at the time and had this fascination with all things vampire, so that helped, but Pike is a fantastic author. I still read the whole series now and it has just the same effect on me as when i first read them.
All the books are of equal standard but if i had to choose I would choose one and two as my favourites because Yaksha (the first vampire) is such an amazing, tormented character, trying to undo the evil he created so he can die in the grace of God. This unfortunately includes Sita, one of his first vampires.
Number three in the series is a good idea. American government wants to get their hands on Sita's blood and harnish its power. She can't and won'y let that happen. The battle throughout the city between her and the feds left me on the edge of my, errr, sofa.
Four and five are unbelievable! By then Sita has been developed superbly and the books become really involving with the inclusion of Kalika, Sita's scarily hard daughter who grows at a rapid rate. Her ambiguity leaves you guessing as Sita tries to protect a baby (whose blood can bring back the dead) from the unstoppable Kalika. The ending of five gave me exactly what i wanted with Kalika's role in the universe, but then made me cry. When i was 14.
I wasn't a huge fan of six because of the ending. All the magic of Sita that has been built up throughout the other books was destroyed by the ending. I felt robbed. It still has to be read though. It does wrap up the continuous storyline, which is nice; if it had left an open ending i would have gone mad.
Every single character is perfectly and realisticly developed, whether they are good or evil. I, in fact preferred the evil characters. Pike shows how tempting it would be if you could achieve the power of Yaksha or Sita. God makes an appearence too, in the form of Hare Krishna.
The question is: could they be made into films?

Enemy at the Gates [2001] [DVD]
Enemy at the Gates [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jude Law
Offered by 247dvd
Price: 3.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Film - disapointing ending, 13 Sep 2002
Having read the book on which this film is based, War of the Rats, i was looking forward to putting some visuals to an excellent book (go out and buy it). Enemy at the Gates definitely does justice to the book throughout the firts three quarters of the film. Tense battles of wits between the two snipers (Harris and Law) both grips and interests you. It is nice to see some realistic battle scenes with tactics as the main focus. However the end and how Law eventually beats Harris is laughable. I won't ruin it for you, but a trained sniper of Koenig's (his name in the book - for some reason it is different in the film) would not have died like he did. The books lengthy description of how the russian (and his team - another point forgotton in the film) take out the German.
Definitely a good film, well worth the viewing for the perfomances which were all first class, and for the stunning shots that the snipers are capable of. But I personally think changes from book to film were unneccesary and thus led to a lesser impact.