Profile for Mr. Gary R. Smith > Reviews

Content by Mr. Gary R. Smith

Mr. Gary R. Smith (huddersfield, w.yorkshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
If Tomorrow Comes
If Tomorrow Comes

5.0 out of 5 stars My Big Mistake, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: If Tomorrow Comes (Kindle Edition)
I got this as a free download. BIG MISTAKE! I couldn't put the book down. Great read, full of action. After the 1st part I couldn't see where the story was going. It just got better and better. Gripping all the way through and a good ending. Brilliant!

The Ben Bridges Western Omnibus (A Ben Bridges Collection Book 1)
The Ben Bridges Western Omnibus (A Ben Bridges Collection Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant books, even better in this collection, 17 Aug. 2014
Brilliant books, even better in this collection, and a great bargin. Always a really good exciting read. Could just do with some more collections coming out from this great western author.

OSO In Car Mobile Phone Holder & GPS Mount for Apple Iphone 5 / 4 / 4s / 3G / 3 - Universal in Car Mount - Worlds Strongest Suction Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, just didnt last long, 8 Feb. 2014
I got this for my car, just to put my phone in to Bluetooth music etc. Wife wasn't impressed when it arrived, it was just another phone holder. However, a month later she got a works van, with a Bluetooth stereo. I took it out of my car, stuck it to her dashboard (yes, onto plastic) and showed her. It can hold her sat nav, phone, bits of paper, basically anything that the jaws can accept it will hold. The mount has never moved. So unfortunately it didn't last long in my hands, but is going strong in the wifes van. Great bit of kit, and not a bad price. It will stick to anything, and is a really sturdy construction. Highly recommended!!

Peaklife - 3.5 Inch Weatherproof Motorcycle/bike/car GPS Navigator (All Terrain Edition) GPS35M
Offered by LUJII Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a tomtom,but very close. Great value., 8 Feb. 2014
I have tried to use my car tomtom in a waterproof case on the bike. The cases are completely waterproof, however on our last holiday to the south of france the weather was so hot it basically cooked the tomtom like a boil in a bag! This crashed the sat nav, and wasn't fixable till we got home. In bright sun you cant see the sat nav at all, and cant hear any instructions given. Sat navs are just an extra, Ive managed for 20 years riding around france with maps, but sat navs come into their own when finding Mcdonalds, services, garages, fuel, Hotels, and other POIs. My unit came with a spare battery, all the mounts, cables galore and maps of Europe and Russia running on the igo8 system.

Its not as user friendly as the tomtom, but it makes up for it in other departments. Hopefully soon i'll get a decent video up on you tube on the peaklife. It has got Bluetooth, but only as audio to headsets, not to phones. Im not bothered as I don't use the phone on rides. My bike is a Goldwing 1500 that Ive bluetoothed the stereo on. With a micro sd card put in the peaklife you can add music/video to the sat nav. The unit then connects to my bike and sends music/directions to the speakers/headset. I can confirm that the audio from the peaklife IS in stereo. Im still messing with the video, I can get it to work for what its worth, but the picture needs resizing.

The maps on mine are from 2012, so a couple of years old, but nothing to worry about. Ive seen legal sites on the web where you can purchase new maps pretty cheaply. Its a shame as my tomtom has free lifetime maps. Ive tested them side by side,and they pretty much direct you the same way. The tomtom is just a whole lot easier to navigate around. But, the peaklife has a trip computer which has 3 trips to it. Hopefully all will be explained in my video (eventually). But if youre a bit nerdy over your trips like me, you can see average speed,max speed, times, altitudes etc for 3 different legs. Also you can record tracks on this unit. I have tried, and can import the tracks to the 'tyre' software, but haven't found out how to export them from tyre to the unit yet.You can plan and save routes (and name them) on the unit, but it would be nice to do this on the PC with a cuppa and export them to the sat nav.

Im still testing the unit yet, but so far im very impressed. Its the buyers choice really. Do you want to spend over £300 n a tomtom rider/garmin, or (mine was £86) just over £100 on one of these. I would say get one in plenty of time so you can mess about with it and get used to the interface, the more I use it, the more I like it. Also make sure that maps are included, unless you are a 'puter geek who knows how to do this. On a car sat nav you have to use the cigarette lighter for power, this means installing one on the bike. I already had one so no problem. This has a permenant mount/live feed, just put the sat nav in the cradle and its powered up. No more straggling wires around the bike.

Im lucky because Ive saved up to get this, it is good value for a bike specific GPS, but for a GPS in general? My tomtom was £120 with free lifetime maps.....Theres no way im gonna pay £300+ for a specific bike sat nav!! If you can manage, definitely the cheapest way is the waterproof case/car sat nav route.

My requirements were, a waterproof sat nav, proper bike mount, MP3 player (so I could get rid of my ipod wired to the bike), Bluetooth stereo sound, and a trip computer. It has all these and more. The only negative is the user interface, its not terrible, but if youre used to tomtom/garmins it takes some getting used to.

IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ

whilst messing about with the peaklife last night, I tried to change skins on one of the menus. The machine then totally crashed, and kept crashing before I could get to the screen where I could change the menu back. I tried to reset and also factory reset, but no good. Took the battery out overnight, but still no luck. Lucikly for me, years ago I had a tomtom crash, and backed it up,so when my peaklife came, I copied the TFAT file with all the igo8 files on it. Today I wiped the TFAT off the unit, and sent back my backup file. Success! My little treasure is up and running again. Moral of the story, BACK UP THE TFAT FILE WHEN YOU GET THE PEAKLIFE!!!!!!

Universal Waterproof / Weather Proof GPS SatNav Case with RAM 1inch Ball Fitting for RAM Mounts (SKU 6525)
Offered by Buybits Addons

4.0 out of 5 stars could be improved, but good anyway, 17 Nov. 2013
I got one of these the other year for my holiday in the south of france. I put my tomtom live in there and it was a nice fit. It went through the rain without a drop of water getting in, but when the weather got better the heat inside from the tomtom was unbelievable. The tomtom crashed on the way home, I cant say if it was the heat, or just the unit. Anyway, when I got home I managed to hard reset the satnav and all was well again. Im not going to blame the case, as the weather was in the 40's. One thing that could be improved was the reflection from the cover. In bright sunlight I couldn't see the screen at all, a little sun visor on the top would have helped? Pushing the screen through the plastic was OK, cos really at the start of the trip I just put in the destination and away we went. All in all, a good bit of kit, a lot cheaper than a tomtom rider. At the end of the day if I wasn't such a cheapskate I would have got a tomtom rider, this is the next best thing!

Sea Creature (A Deep Sea Thriller)
Sea Creature (A Deep Sea Thriller)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but....., 14 Nov. 2013
Mmm, read this in 2 days. The story is good,but im not sure about the writing style. The story gripped me enough to read all of the book so it cant be all bad. I applaud anyone who can write a book,cos theyre one step above me! I would have to say any peter Benchley book is the way to go for style and substance. It could have been in that league with just a few tweeks,but didn't quite hit the heights. Anyway, its a good attempt, and well done to Victor Methos on having a go.

Cold Kill (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller)
Cold Kill (The 3rd Spider Shepherd Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars third one, and they get better, 8 Oct. 2013
I started on the spider shepherd books a few weeks ago. Im trying to read them in order, and so far this ones the best. They all read like you're watching a film. The action is thick and fast, the stories are gripping from the first pages. Great stuff.

The Rock
The Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars whats the scores,george daws...5 out of 5, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Rock (Kindle Edition)
I also got this as a free download. What an excellent book, I would definitely pay for the next one. The characters were likeable, the story gripping and easy to read. The ending was great, all in all a really good read. I was well impressed. It was pretty short I suppose, but don't let this put you off, I guess it was a little like "frost" or "wire in the blood" books. I think I read somewhere that the author would like to make a serial of these, all I can say is Bring it On!!!

Mr Lonely
Mr Lonely

4.0 out of 5 stars Like Marmite, 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Mr Lonely (Kindle Edition)
I got this as a free download. I can see why the reviews differ so much, I enjoyed it, but im unsure why?? Theres not much story, the end is one of a kind, and the humour is dry. The closest books I've read to this is probably spike milligans war memoirs for the sense of humour. Its one of those books that makes you think of comics with a troubled life, ie spike milligan,tony Hancock etc. I enjoyed it, but maybe its because I have a similar sense of humour.

Curbchek 2nd edition
Curbchek 2nd edition

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read from America, 7 May 2013
I got this on a free download to my kindle. I grew up with Kojak, Starsky and Hutch etc.. so America's Police has always interested me. This is a great read, theres a couple of humourous stories in there, some sad, and a lot about general police work. I flew through the book. If you're interested in Police work its worth a read. Nice one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6