Profile for Mr Jay > Reviews

Content by Mr Jay

Mr Jay

Page: 1 | 2
Roberts Stream93i DAB/DAB+/FM/ Internet Stereo Sound System with 3 Way Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound and fast operation make this a great radio, 6 Dec 2014
An excellent radio. Sound quality is outstanding. Good bass weight and real clarity, plus you have different sound settings to choose from or the ability to manually adjust bass and treble and turn 'loudness' on or off. The speed of the radio when it comes to tuning and loading stations is also outstanding - it can load some Internet radio stations in literally about a second. Way faster than the 2008 vintage Pure Evoke Flow I also have - the Flow takes 10 to 15 seconds to load what the 93i can in 1 second. If you're a Spotify Premium subscriber, Spotify Connect is a great addition.

Nice, clean design with mostly very good build quality. The plastic knobs and buttons are not exactly premium feeling, but they are OK for the price. The LCD display is full colour and very high resolution for a radio. Excellent if viewed head on, but the drawback is relatively poor viewing angles compared to OLED displays, such as on the Pure Evoke. I'd also prefer the display to offer a 'backlight off' option for use as a bedside radio - it's still notably bright on the low setting.

As with other Internet radios, operation is a bit of a maze of menus, but the 93i is fast and responsive and it has lots of useful buttons on the front to make things easier and quicker to access. The five direct preset buttons are extremely useful, though I'd prefer if the remote control offered more direct presets. I use the Android app and while it could do with a bit more polish, it's an excellent way of controlling the radio - much quicker for searching and browsing. The included remote is very useful, if somewhat small and insubstantial feeling, so I use a One For All Essence 4 universal remote control instead, which can successfully learn all of the 93i remote's functions.

The combination of excellent sound, speedy operation, lots of features and a range of control options make this a great buy. Not perfect, but its failings are relatively minor. For the money and compared to what else it out there, I'd rate it five stars. I've owned quite a few radios over the years and I reckon this will prove to be one of the very best.

Oral-B Pro 6000 Smart Series With Bluetooth Technology Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, if slightly unwieldy toothbrush, 29 Nov 2014
I bought this to replace an Oral B Pro 4000 that was losing the ability to hold a charge after about 3 or 4 years and was needing charging every couple of days. Given you can't replace the rechargeable battery on Oral Bs (unless you're handy with a soldering iron), I'd be wary about spending too much money on them. I got the Pro 6000 on a 'lightning deal' so am happy with the price I paid. The RRP for this model is fairly ridiculous - it seems electric toothbrushes are items that are often sold at large discounts.

Overall, I'm very happy with Oral B toothbrushes when it comes to brushing your teeth. Took a bit of getting used to at the start, but much better than a manual toothbrush. As many others have stated, the time needed to charge the battery and the not terribly impressive battery life is the drawback with the Oral B range.

Compared to the Pro 4000, battery life is a bit better on the Pro 6000 - while Amazon states on this page a seven day battery life like the majority of the (mostly blue coloured) Oral B range from the Pro 5000 downwards, Oral B actually state 10 days for this model (and the others using the same bigger, white coloured body). The low level battery indictor is also much better - I found the 4000 would inevitably, and annoyingly, just stop and only then would the red low battery LED flash. The 6000 has a three stage battery level LED that lights up when the brush is turned on and stays lit briefly when it's turned off so you can easily monitor the charge level. That is very useful. The fact that the rest of the 6000 also lights up like a Christmas tree when turned on is somewhat less useful...

The other thing that annoyed me with the 4000 was that the on/off button also cycled though the various cleaning modes so required several presses to turn off. The 6000 has an on/off button (in 'daily clean' mode) that stops with one press. A separate button cycles through the other modes (that I never use - I only ever used 'daily clean' mode on the 4000). I don't use the app, but the separate Wireless SmartGuide seems pretty useful as an extra incentive to brush properly, though I suspect it will be another feature that won't get used once the novelty wears off.

However, the fairly annoying drawback compared to the 4000 is that the bigger, chunkier 6000 is more unwieldy to hold and use. And the large clear plastic window with all those pointless lights (apart from the battery level LED) is much more slippery than the blue rubber covering the whole of the front of the Pro 4000 (and other Oral Bs from the Pro 5000 downwards). Not good for a toothbrush that will get wet. I never even thought about ergonomics using the 4000 - it was easy and secure to hold at all times. The awkwardness of the 6000 was obvious from the first use.

It's an excellent toothbrush, like the 4000, but I'm undecided whether the better battery functionality and on/off switch design makes up for the more unwieldy feel. Certainly, I think Oral B could have improved the ergonomics of this brush.

PS What's with all the Vine Voice reviews for this and other electric toothbrushes!

Wahl 9880-117X Lithium Ion Triple Play Grooming Kit (110933777)
Wahl 9880-117X Lithium Ion Triple Play Grooming Kit (110933777)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Amazon reviews don't support the Gadget Show, 18 Oct 2014
Way overpriced. It was very well reviewed on the Gadget Show and that did make me have a look at this model (wasn't aware of it before), but... check out the reviews on Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-9880-100-Lithium-Triple-Trimmer/product-reviews/B0058SY1XG Very poor, over half of all reviews (9 of 17) are 1 star. Even the most helpful 5 star review only calls the shave "satisfactory". A very big difference of opinion when you consider the Gadget Show.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2014 1:31 AM GMT

Merrell Moab Leather Waterproof, Men Low Rise Hiking Shoes
Merrell Moab Leather Waterproof, Men Low Rise Hiking Shoes
Price: £69.87 - £100.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit narrow and tight, 24 Sep 2014
Only tried one of these on and have decided to return them. I ordered one size bigger (as I usually need with padded trainers) and have to agree with the other two reviews. The fit feels too tight and constricted, especially in the toe area. Not in terms of length - plenty enough length for the big toe - but needs more width and height in the toe area (they look a bit more pointy than normal Moabs). They are well padded so they may well loosen up over time, but a bit too expensive to take the chance to see. A shame as otherwise they appear to be a really nice and well-made shoe.

Karrimor Aspen Mid Mens Walking Boots
Karrimor Aspen Mid Mens Walking Boots

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 16 Sep 2014
Have been wearing these for a good few months and they have proved an excellent buy. Extremely comfortable from the off. In fact, I'd say one of the most comfortable items of footwear I've owned. The Vibram sole is holding up well. Maybe not too great on wet, slippy surfaces but you read criticism like that on much more expensive shoes than these. In terms of fit, I tried them on in Sports Direct and found I needed a 10, bigger than the 9 I usually wear in 'ordinary' shoes, but often the case with well-padded inners like these.

For the money, no complaints. Deserves five stars.

Motorola Grip Case Cover Shell for Moto G - Black
Motorola Grip Case Cover Shell for Moto G - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes the Moto G nicer to hold, 17 May 2014
This shell replaces the back cover of the Moto G (you take the original back cover off before fitting this). It is effectively a back cover with a built-in rubber bumper.

Fitting is reasonably easy, but I found I had to use a credit card to ease the rubber over the bottom of the phone. It fits neatly and precisely.

I would say the main benefit is that the rubber bumper makes the Moto G nicer to hold. Less slippery, better grip and more secure.

The buttons are covered by rubber and this makes them require a tad more pressure to operate but nothing major. Also be aware that the rubber lip around the edge of the phone creates a barrier that your finger may bump into when you swipe. The edge of the rubber around the screen is, inevitably, a little loose if you tug it, especially around the ports and buttons. Nothing to worry about, though.

Overall, a very nice, good quality accessory for the money. It makes the Moto G more pleasant and secure to hold so I'm keeping it on mine.

JML Sit Right Chair Back Support System
JML Sit Right Chair Back Support System
Offered by CostMad-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Back is better after using this, 9 April 2014
I have a desk job so bought this two months ago when my back was playing up quite a bit. It has been attached to my chair ever since.

My back has been much better recently. I reckon this has helped a lot.

While it doesn't look the most sturdy, it's stayed put and been absolutely fine. For the money, I can't argue with results. Excellent.

Motorola DVX/XT1032 16GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Cheapest Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it really is as good as all the reviews say, 24 Mar 2014
I suspect I'm an ideal customer for the Moto G - it's my first smartphone and before reading all the great reviews for this phone, I was thinking of buying a Nokia 520. And, as you'll probably know, the Moto G has had loads of great reviews. I can only add another here.

I'm delighted with it. On the minus side, and being very picky, the two side buttons (power and volume) are a bit loose (Google and you'll see you can fix with a bit of paper or similar if it really bothers you!). On the plus side, I cannot fault the rest of the build quality for the money. You can't expect perfection at this price, but it feels solid, very well made and looks nicely understated (a small `M' on the back is the only branding on it). It also feels great to hold, very comfortable. No complaints. Better than I expected. The screen looks excellent for the money - really crisp and sharp, great colours and brightness (I have it a bit below half brightness, at the moment). As most of the reviews here and elsewhere have stated, performance seems very smooth and fast - I have seen no noticeable lag. The (almost) 'pure' Android experience is very slick. So far, I cannot complain about performance at all.

Too early for me to say too much about battery, plus I'm not very familiar with smartphone battery life, but most reviews and tests have shown it to be very good indeed and the (ever comprehensive) Notebookcheck website review shows the Moto G draws very little power when idle. I can see, however, that some users are reporting less battery life with the update to new Android KitKat (my phone updated to KitKat as soon as I turned it on for the first time so I didn't get to compare). Seems good and I reckon, looking at my battery stats, I'll average a couple of days out of it with light use (I can see on the battery stats that it is the screen being on that uses the most battery).

Camera and no expandable storage don't bother me much (though I bought the 16GB, just in case), but no 4G is probably the only thing that made me think twice. Not sure I'd have used it (plus I read it drains the battery faster), just you wonder whether it's something you might expect in 2014.

So I'm delighted with my first smartphone. Good build quality, a great balance of performance and battery life, and, of course, a low price. The whole experience is very solid and slick for the money. No wonder it's got all those great reviews...

CaseGuru Book Case/Cover/Folio Wallet for 5 inch Kobo Mini eReader - Black
CaseGuru Book Case/Cover/Folio Wallet for 5 inch Kobo Mini eReader - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and well made, 12 Feb 2014
Not surprised to see all the good reviews for this. It's a neat, sturdy, well made case and it fits the Kobo Mini perfectly. Nicely finished. For the price, the quality is very good and there's nothing to complain about.

Samrick Executive Specially Designed Leather Book Wallet Case with Sleeve Slot for WHSmith Kobo Mini eReader - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Alignment issues and left visible marks on Kobo Mini, 10 Feb 2014
It's small and neat enough, but, as someone else has said, it does not quite align properly with the Kobo Mini and it's especially notable with the white Kobo model. There is a bigger gap on the right and the bottom. Certainly, it is not as neat as shown on the photographs.

Oh, and it's also quite tight and after inserting and removing my white Kobo Mini only a handful of times, it left visible lines on the silver back. It seems to have worn/damaged the finish of the back of the Kobo Mini. Not impressed.

I returned it for a refund.

Page: 1 | 2