Profile for James Rhodes > Reviews

Content by James Rhodes

James Rhodes (Naples, FL)

The Road to McCarthy
The Road to McCarthy
by Pete Mccarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Could he do it again?, 1 Sep 2002
This review is from: The Road to McCarthy (Hardcover)
After loving McCarthy's Bar, I approached The Road to McCarthy with some trepidation. Could he do it again? McCarthy had shared so many personal, deeply felt moments in the first book that, I had to wonder what he had left to tell us.
Quite a lot, as it turns out. The Road to McCarthy may lack the emotional content of McCarthy's Bar, but it most respects it's MORE -- funnier, rowdier (a word that may not have previously been applied to Pete McCarthy, but I stand by it), and, of course, longer, since this time he literally takes us around the world -- well, half-way 'round, at any rate.
Highly recommended, especially if you're a Bill Bryson fan. Here's a chance to broaden your horizons.

Ravenheart (Rigante)
Ravenheart (Rigante)
by David Gemmell

5.0 out of 5 stars Among the best I've ever read . . ., 2 Aug 2001
This review is from: Ravenheart (Rigante) (Hardcover)
Ravenheart was my first exposure to David Gemmell, and I was more than impressed -- I was absolutely knocked senseless. Particularly impressive to me was that while I see many similarities to other fantasy authors -- especially Patricia Keneally-Morrison --Gemmell is stronger on almost every count: the humanity and believability of his characters, the strength of his plotting, and his use of language, both in narrative and dialogue. I'm eagerly anticipating Ravenheart's sequel. Meanwhile, I plan to do some catching up with David Gemmell.