Profile for Gavmundo > Reviews

Content by Gavmundo

Gavmundo (Much Hoole, Preston, Lancashire)

Page: 1 | 2
Tom Clancy's The Division (Xbox One)
Tom Clancy's The Division (Xbox One)

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than first thought, 12 Mar. 2016
initially rated this as one star. I was struggling with mission 4 of the first set of tutorial missions having had to restart the same part of the mission six times. I really do not like repetitive gameplay and it was really doing my head in. I again (having to start at the beginning of the mission again) and it took me two attempts on the part of the mission that was getting me mad but completed it.

Once I got to the main part of the City the game gets a lot bigger. I'm still unsure if this is a really great game. At the moment I like it a lot more than I did initially. I'm not really into PvP or multiplayer shooters and think the game is aimed at those who do but it is a good game.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2016 8:52 AM GMT

Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3)
Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3)

The Last Days on Mars [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Last Days on Mars [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Liev Schreiber

As described

Lords of the Fallen - Limited Edition (PS4)
Lords of the Fallen - Limited Edition (PS4)
Offered by Game Trade Online

As described

First2savvv BDV2208 red premium quality tough nylon camera case bag for SONY HDR-CX280E HDR-CX220E HDR-GW66VE HDR-AS15 HDR-AS30 HDR-MV1 HDR-TD30VE HDR-GW77E HDR-GW77VE DCR-SX22E with mini tripod
Offered by FIRST2SAVVV

A King's Ransom
A King's Ransom
by Sharon Penman

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Nov. 2014
This review is from: A King's Ransom (Hardcover)
Production condition excellent. Just as described.

The Hunger Games (2 Disc) [DVD]
The Hunger Games (2 Disc) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Lawrence
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, 7 Oct. 2012
For starters I haven't read the books. I have too much of a backlog of books to read that there was no point before the movie came out. I have put them on the end of that backlog now....

I have to admit I didn't expect much from this movie. I have heard mixed reviews and a lot of people (not everyone) that HAD read the books were saying this was pretty bad compared to the books. Not surprising because movies adapted from books rarely are as good as the books. My perception of this movie was that it was going to be aimed at teens (as a 42 yr old the one sure way to put me off a movie is telling me it's cast are mainly teenagers). Many teen movies are sub standard and I've learned to avoid them. This movie though was based on a series of critically acclaimed books so I had to give it a go and I'm glad that I did. It has a brilliant cast (mainly not teens) but a round of applause for Jennifer Lawrence. She was fantastic and as the lead she drove the movie forward was charismatic, mature, sympathetic, exciting ... just plain excellent.

I am glad I got the movie, look forward to the sequels and those books are now on order to fit somewhere at the end of my long backlog (they might jump the queue a bit)....

Snow White and the Huntsman [DVD] [2012]
Snow White and the Huntsman [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent attempt at a reVAMP (pun intended), 6 Oct. 2012
Well the movie is certainly worth a watch but despite the stellar cast (plus Kristen Stewart) and the excellent effects it does pretty much fail in what it is intending to present.

There are lots of opinions on the "beauty" represented by Snow White but whether it be an inner beauty or or physical beauty Stewart pretty much fails on all counts. She is a popular actress in some quarters (not with me clearly) but her character is the focal point in this movie and needs to be spot on for the movie to work. Snow White is supposed to represent both a physical and spiritual beauty and Stewart fails in this. Her personality, charisma and beauty should be the driving force of the story but we see and feel none of that. I was actually hoping the queen won by the end of the film though I knew that couldn't happen.

I did give it three starts so it's not all bad. Theron gives another powerful performance and is the perfect nasty queen. The effects are good, the all star British cast of Dwarves were excellent and despite the script being quite poor in places and the realism of a medieval europe ridiculously bad (they quite clearly intended it to be representative of Medieval Europe due to the Catholic prayer Snow White recites at the beginning) you always felt you wanted to see it through to the end. At no point did I think "right I've had enough of this" and switch off and that does happen a lot these days.

So in summary the film was mainly let down by a weak portrayal of Snow White. Not really the actresses fault as this film was too big for her and she was miscast. The film was watchable mainly due to Charlize Theron's performance. The representation of medieval Europe was ridiculous (only in Hollywood could a small band of cavalry attack a large fortress without siege equipment of any kind) and where the hell did the troll under the bridge come from?

Give it a try... worth a watch but not worth buying. Am I glad I didn't go to the cinema to see it.

Lionheart [DVD]
Lionheart [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassing that this has happened again, 23 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Lionheart [DVD] (DVD)
I've seen this before in 2003 and although it's packaged like a new movie (the same happened with the Empire tv series being repackaged as Rome Blood and Sand) it's a lie. This is the remake of A Lion in Winter and was released in 2003. It's nowhere near as good as the original with Peter O'Toole but to repackage something in the hope you trick the public into buying a film you've already seen under a different name is pathetic.

It box makes it look like it's a new action film about Richard the Lionheart but the film is about Henry II and his relationship with Eleanor of Aquitaine and his children (the Devil's Brood) and is based on a 1966 play so there is little action. Although a young Prince Richard does feature in the movie he is a minor character and far away from his Lionheart title. If you haven't seen the movie you may like it but it is poor compared to the original (which is a fantastic movie) but if you have had the misfortune the see this remake don't be tricked into buying it again under a new title.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2012 9:11 AM BST

Rome, Blood & Sand (Empire) [DVD]
Rome, Blood & Sand (Empire) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emily Blunt
Offered by A2Z Entertains

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Angry, 9 Jun. 2012
I bought this assuming it was a new drama series only to find when I loaded up the DVD that it is actually the 2005 series Empire and has just been renamed. It even has Empire on the title screen and the only place Rome Blood and sand is mentioned is is on the box and on the disks. This is extremely frustrating as there was no way to know this without opening the box (and therefore removing the shrink wrapping) to find I have a TV series I've already owned in the past.

As for the series itself it has a good cast but a poor script. It's average at best.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2012 12:35 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2