Profile for Ryan Boyce > Reviews

Content by Ryan Boyce

Ryan Boyce "Ryanbeee" (Ipswich)

Hi-Fi Serious
Hi-Fi Serious
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 8.16

5.0 out of 5 stars An early 2000s classic, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Hi-Fi Serious (Audio CD)
This album was released in 2002. I remember well when it first came out, it was around the time when I first started really listening to music and these guys came on Kerrang! TV with their song 'Nothing'. Don't ask me why it's taken me this long to buy this album!

First of all, this is one of those bands that you can associate with the nu-metal era (not that they are actually nu-metal, it's just they came out when the genre was at its peak). To be honest, it was nice at that time to here something come out that was a little heavy, but not the typical band that seemed to come out, where we had drop guitar tunings and lyrics that all seemed the same.

The sound of this album is pretty punky. It's hard to compare their sound to anyone else at this time, but it sounds familiar in a way. A few of the songs are instantly recognisable, such as 'Nothing', 'Starbucks' and 'Something's Going On'. At times they use a bit of turntable/electro elements to add to the freshness of the sound. Overall, the album sound is a good one.

Overall, I would recommend this album to anyone who was a nu-metal kid back in the day. The songs are great, and it pumped out some real classics.

Black Sails In The Sunset
Black Sails In The Sunset
Offered by Books2anywhereUS
Price: 5.22

4.0 out of 5 stars From the punk days of AFI, 28 May 2010
To start, this album is from AFI's more punk days, rather than the more mainstream, pop-punk style they have adopted on their last 3 albums. When you look back on this one, you realise it's a vastly different sounding band.

This album, is a good one. It has a lot more energy than their newer stuff. It is a very fast album pretty much the whole way through. You can really hear the Misfits/Danzig influence they have cited in the past. Davey Havok's vocals on this outing, are VERY remenicent of the hardcore punk days, maybe getting influence from the likes of Black Flag and the like along the way.

Overall, as a fan who started with AFI on decemberunderground (perhaps their most mainstream, poppy sounding album), this album is still great, and introduces the early days of the band in the best way (personally, this is their best pre-Sing The Sorrow album). The only gripe I have is that all the songs sound very similar, and could make the casual fan quite bored of them. However, if you are a fan of AFI, this is for you.

Osaka Popstar And The American Legends Of Punk
Osaka Popstar And The American Legends Of Punk
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Punk classic?, 28 May 2010
In short, Osaka Popstar is a supergroup made up of Jerry Only of the Misfits, Marky Ramone of the Ramones, Dez Cadena of Black Flag (now in the Misfits) and Ivan Julian of The Voidoids. It also has John Cafiero on vocals (who has worked with The Misfits before, and is also a filmaker.

You would expect this album, with the cast that it has, to be a punk classic. It does deliver, but it isn't what you would call a classic. To be honest, I really like it, but it sounds a lot, in my opinion, like Michale Graves-era Misfits. Of course bearing in mind, most of the album is recorded with the line-up of Cafiero, Only, Cadena and Ramone, which at the time of the album's release, was the Misfits lineup minus Cafiero.

The album is mostly made up of covers. I think there is 4 tracks which are originals, while the rest are covers of Anime theme songs (like Astro Boy and Sailer Moon), a couple of Voidoids covers and various other.

Overall, I enjoyed this album. As a massive Misfits fan, I enjoyed the sound. The only reason I gave it 4* is because it doesn't have a unique sound, but apart from that, it is a fun album, and worth a listen. If you are a fan of any of the bands featured, (especially The Ramones and The Misfits), you will enjoy it.

Uroboros (+Bonus) (Dlcd) [VINYL]
Uroboros (+Bonus) (Dlcd) [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top 5 favourite albums, 20 Oct 2009
I had already bought this item on CD almost a year before, and it quickly became one of my favourite albums.

Many other fans I talk to would put Vulgar or Withering To Death at the top of their list. This one would easily top mine.
Dir En Grey break genre barriers on every album, and this is no exception (if anything, this one breaks barriers more than the previous albums). There soft songs, acoustic parts, heavy, riff smothered songs, and hard, in-your-face parts.
Kyo's vocals are probably the most diverse they have ever been. He changes from calming, soft vocals, then switches up to his trademark screaming.
The other members have stepped up a bit also. Die's and Kaoru's guitar work on this album is truly awesome, probably the best I've heard on an album in years. Toshiya's bass is also at a high standard (it always was, as he is an amazing bassist), and Shinya's drumming is the best it's ever been.

The main difference between the content of the Vinyl and CD is (as far as I know) the Vinyl comes with an exclusive bonus track, stated as Undecided (whether it is the name of the track, or whether they really were undecided, I don't know). It is a good track. It's an acoustic number, but still fits in well with the rest of the album. You also get 'Dozing Green' with Japanese lyrics (the one on the album has English lyrics, I know you can get it on certain editions of the CD), which I prefer to be honest.
What's great is with this Vinyl, you get a download card, which means you can log on to the net and get the album in MP3 aswell. If you do what I did (buy the CD, then download the extra tracks you get with the Vinyl) then you can have the complete album on your iPod. Win!

Overall, this is a truly awesome album. Buy it now! However, if you don't like screaming, avoid. Some of the vocal's aren't for everyone, but this is Dir En Grey's most accessible album. Best songs would be Vinishka, Glass Skin, Dozing Green and Gaika, Chinmoku Ga Nemuru Koro.

Thirteenth Step
Thirteenth Step
Price: 11.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album, 10 July 2009
This review is from: Thirteenth Step (Audio CD)
Before I bought this, I had heard 'Blue' before. It made me want to buy the CD. It is an amazing album, with no flaws for me.

If you aren't familiar with A Perfect Circle, it is a supergroup which, at the time of this album's release, was made up of Billy Howerdel (Guitar, producer), Maynard James Keenan (From Tool; Vocals), Jeordie White (From Marilyn Manson/Nine Inch Nails; Bass) and John Freese (From The Vandals/Nine Inch Nails/Guns N Roses; Drums).

The album is amazing (as mentioned before). It is very different to the bands that the members are a part of. If you can find something or someone that sounds like APC, you deserve a medal. Personally, I would recommend Thirteenth Step to anyone.

Nintendo Purple Console (GBC)
Nintendo Purple Console (GBC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, classic piece of equipment!, 22 May 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When I was younger, I had an original Gameboy (the big grey one), and I always wanted a Gameboy Color. Now that I finally have one, it's like being a kid again! Personally, handheld gaming can't get better than this. The graphics may not be great, but that isn't everything. It has so many classic games, like Pokemon, Mario, Kirby etc. Overall, GBC is an absolute classic, and the best there ever will be.