Profile for Tokyo Resident > Reviews

Content by Tokyo Resident

Tokyo Resident (Tokyo, Japan)

Sagemcom D77T Single DECT Cordless Telephone - Black
Sagemcom D77T Single DECT Cordless Telephone - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken, 29 Jan 2013
It is no longer working after about 6 months of use. Will not pick up calls. I don't appear to have any right to send it back

Showa Japan: The Post-War Golden Age and Its Troubled Legacy: The Tumultuous Legacy of Japans Post-war Golden Age
by Hans Brinckmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Real insight into fascinating era, 3 Feb 2011
The book offers a detailed insight into Showa Japan, an era which still casts a long shadow over Japan. I liked it because it went well beyond a traditional historical/political treatment, getting into the fine detail of life in the period: the media, food, sex. While maintaining a objective standpoint, there are some interesting personal tidbits thrown into a quite fascinating read.

The World Atlas of Whisky
The World Atlas of Whisky
by Dave Broom

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and intimidatingly well informed, 11 Dec 2010
The photographs are worth the book's price in themselves, but this book has a lot more to offer than that. I live in Japan and kid myself I know a bit about the country and its whisky, but the chapter on Japan taught me something on every page. Broom is absolutely sure in his knowledge of Japanese whisky but writes lyrically in a light easy-to-read style. The "flavor camp" classifications are a great idea, dividing whiskies according to simple, easy to understand characteristics (peaty and smoky etc.) and allowing the reader to cross reference whiskies of those types from across the world.

Netherland
Netherland
by Joseph O'Neill

3.0 out of 5 stars The kindle edition exists, so why can I not buy it?, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Netherland (Paperback)
I am rating this book three stars because that is the average rating on Amazon at present. I have not read it, because for some reason the publisher is selling it in the U.S. in kindle format but not in the U.K.
I know publishers try all sorts of tactics to try to slice up their market and squeeze the greatest amount of profit out of different types of consumers, but nobody makes profit if a book is just not for sale when a consumer wants to buy it. One of the beauties of the Kindle is that it makes book buying a spur of the moment thing. That moment may have been lost in my case.

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 1)
Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Sep 2010
The characters are wonderfully immediate and real. Cannot wait to see the moral and emotional place this Cromwell character takes us to in the subsequent books.

Inverting The Pyramid: The History Of Football Tactics
Inverting The Pyramid: The History Of Football Tactics

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, loses one star because of publisher stupidity, 15 Aug 2010
Great book. Quite revelatory really. The one gripe I have is that publisher, for some reason best known to themselves, have limited highlighting abilities on the kindle edition. I have have highlighted loads of passages and now discover, halfway through the book, that they are now deleting highlights because I have exceeded their limit. The better the book, the more annoying this sort of incredibly petty decision will be. What exactly they are hoping to gain from this I don't quite know. I suppose there may be some weird paranoia that I might highlight the whole book and might steal all its text. But I am miles from doing that and, anyway, there are easier ways to steal books. It would be easy enough to get round it within the current kindle highlight system if you were really intent on nicking Mr Wilson's brilliance. Of course, the publisher prefers to inconvenience 100 devoted readers for 1 hypothetical ne'erdowell. But, I repeat, great book.