Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Judith Arnopp" (wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Men of the Cross (Battle Scars Book 1)
Men of the Cross (Battle Scars Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, well researched nove, 23 May 2016
Excellent, well researched novel with a different slant. my other half read it before me and he loved it too. On book two now. recommended.

Evil Games: A gripping, heart-stopping thriller (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 21 Mar. 2016
Very clever plot, well written - loved the pace and the development of the characters.

Lost Girls: A fast paced, gripping thriller novel (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 21 Mar. 2016
the subject matter makes difficult reading on occasion but it was handled with sensitivity. A great finale to the series.

Secrets of the Sea House
Secrets of the Sea House

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, great plot, 21 Mar. 2016
Really enjoyed this. very well written and great plot.

Silent Scream: An edge of your seat serial killer thriller (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and unpredictable, 21 Mar. 2016
Not my usual genre but I was looking for something different. this was well written, fast paced and unpredictable. I have since ordered and read the rest in the series. Recommended

The Orchid Tree
The Orchid Tree

4.0 out of 5 stars The Orchid Tree, 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Orchid Tree (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I have ever read set in Hong Kong and when I began to read it I wasn't sure if it was going to be my sort of thing. However, after a few pages I warmed to the style of writing and found it hard to put down. The plot leads from hardships of the internment camp at Stanley to the re-establishment of the colony, tracing the life story of two girls from very different backgrounds.
I am unfamiliar with the history of Hong Kong but this seems well researched and convincing. I will now progress to reading Siobhan Daiko's other books.

Rome: The Emperor's Spy
Rome: The Emperor's Spy
by Manda Scott
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A prize indeed, 4 Mar. 2015
I ‘won’ a signed copy of Rome on The Review blog page but, having so much else to do, I have only just got round to reading it. It is not my favourite era and I was surprised I enjoyed it so much. The author presents a clear picture and such a vivid atmosphere of ancient Rome that I was quickly drawn in, and couldn’t wait to get back to it of an evening. The characters are all distinctive and well-drawn, particularly Pantera, a spy for the Emperor Nero, whose job it is to discover who is planning the burning of Rome.
For me, once I got into the story and obsessed with reaching a resolution there was a little too much description that got in the way of the action.
Over-all, an excellent book. Well written, well-paced and convincing. M. C. Scott is a new author to me but I will look out for her work from now on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2015 1:20 AM GMT

Stolen
Stolen

4.0 out of 5 stars A panoramic 17th century tale, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Stolen (Kindle Edition)
I received this book prior to publication and enjoyed it very much. Sheila Dalton’s ‘Stolen’ visits the early 17th century, a world of slavery, pirates and injustice. It is a well-paced tale, with panoramic sea and landscapes, and an atmosphere of desperation. The author deals with issues like the slave trade, and life on board ship proficiently but, although it is clear she has done her research, she doesn’t let it show.
The characters are multi-faceted and credible and it refreshing to find a heroine who commits the most heinous of sins yet remains likeable. An enjoyable read for lovers of historical fiction.

A Time for Silence
A Time for Silence

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, disturbing and brilliantly done., 25 Nov. 2014
A fabulous read. Dark and disturbing. The characters remain with you long after the story is over. Highly recommended. I am no waiting for the next one.

Pick 'n Mix: A collection of short stories
Pick 'n Mix: A collection of short stories

4.0 out of 5 stars Pick and Mix, 18 Aug. 2014
Having enjoyed Helen Springs novels Memories of a Curlew, The Chainmakers and Strands of Gold and Blood Relatives I thought I'd download her short stories too. Pick and Mix is well written and presented, providing an eclectic mix of light and dark, the stories all of a good length, perfect for waiting rooms, bus queues or tea breaks. And excellent short escape.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6