Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Judith Arnopp" (wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Orchid Tree
The Orchid Tree

4.0 out of 5 stars The Orchid Tree, 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Orchid Tree (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I have ever read set in Hong Kong and when I began to read it I wasn't sure if it was going to be my sort of thing. However, after a few pages I warmed to the style of writing and found it hard to put down. The plot leads from hardships of the internment camp at Stanley to the re-establishment of the colony, tracing the life story of two girls from very different backgrounds.
I am unfamiliar with the history of Hong Kong but this seems well researched and convincing. I will now progress to reading Siobhan Daiko's other books.

Rome: The Emperor's Spy
Rome: The Emperor's Spy
by Manda Scott
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A prize indeed, 4 Mar. 2015
I ‘won’ a signed copy of Rome on The Review blog page but, having so much else to do, I have only just got round to reading it. It is not my favourite era and I was surprised I enjoyed it so much. The author presents a clear picture and such a vivid atmosphere of ancient Rome that I was quickly drawn in, and couldn’t wait to get back to it of an evening. The characters are all distinctive and well-drawn, particularly Pantera, a spy for the Emperor Nero, whose job it is to discover who is planning the burning of Rome.
For me, once I got into the story and obsessed with reaching a resolution there was a little too much description that got in the way of the action.
Over-all, an excellent book. Well written, well-paced and convincing. M. C. Scott is a new author to me but I will look out for her work from now on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2015 1:20 AM GMT

Stolen
Stolen

4.0 out of 5 stars A panoramic 17th century tale, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Stolen (Kindle Edition)
I received this book prior to publication and enjoyed it very much. Sheila Dalton’s ‘Stolen’ visits the early 17th century, a world of slavery, pirates and injustice. It is a well-paced tale, with panoramic sea and landscapes, and an atmosphere of desperation. The author deals with issues like the slave trade, and life on board ship proficiently but, although it is clear she has done her research, she doesn’t let it show.
The characters are multi-faceted and credible and it refreshing to find a heroine who commits the most heinous of sins yet remains likeable. An enjoyable read for lovers of historical fiction.

A Time for Silence
A Time for Silence

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, disturbing and brilliantly done., 25 Nov. 2014
A fabulous read. Dark and disturbing. The characters remain with you long after the story is over. Highly recommended. I am no waiting for the next one.

Pick 'n Mix: A collection of short stories
Pick 'n Mix: A collection of short stories

4.0 out of 5 stars Pick and Mix, 18 Aug. 2014
Having enjoyed Helen Springs novels Memories of a Curlew, The Chainmakers and Strands of Gold and Blood Relatives I thought I'd download her short stories too. Pick and Mix is well written and presented, providing an eclectic mix of light and dark, the stories all of a good length, perfect for waiting rooms, bus queues or tea breaks. And excellent short escape.

Dark Water: Part Two of Wild Water
Dark Water: Part Two of Wild Water

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome escape, 21 July 2014
As with all Jan Ruth's books I found it thoroughly relaxing to read about people whose lives are more chaotic than my own. I find all her characters to be well drawn and convincing. The story line moves along just nicely so your attention is held throughout. The middle is as tight and intriguing as the beginning and end. At one point Ms Ruth moved me to tears but I won't go into detail as I hate spoilers in a review. A very good job. I am often disappointed with sequels but this is excellent and I just hope she is busy with the next one.

The Anniversary
The Anniversary

5.0 out of 5 stars In safe hands, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Anniversary (Kindle Edition)
I bought The Anniversary after enjoying another of Ann Swinfen's books, The Testament of Mariam, and I think I like this one even more. You are in safe hands with Ms Swinfen; her books are intelligent, engrossing and her writing is reminiscent of the classic authors. There is no recourse to cheap thrills, no wild excitement or adventure but her very believable characters move through the finely drawn setting as if they belong there, which of course they do. Their problems are real and as the characters grow and overcome their conflicts, so does the reader begin to understand that the story isn't so much about the trials of the individual as the different ways in which they deal with them.
This book carried me through the trials of the world cup, while my husband watched that, I took The Anniversary to a cosy nook and moved into another world where there is no football.
I highly recommend this book and will be reading others by this author.

Tudor Wales
Tudor Wales
by Nathen Amin

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Tudor Wales (Paperback)
This book doesn't just cover the large well-known Tudor places in Wales, but the little ones too. it is well written, lavishly illustrated and a good price. Well worth buying if you are planning a trip.

The Girl with the Painted Face
The Girl with the Painted Face

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as I knew it would be, 15 May 2014
This is the third of Ms Kimm's novels I have read and as I expected, I was thoroughly absorbed from start to finish. The thing I liked most was the subject matter; different from anything I have ever read before. Thoroughly convincing.

The Long and the Short of it.
The Long and the Short of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent value for money, 23 Oct. 2013
Before I read 'The Long and The Short of it' I had never heard of Jan Ruth, now I have read all her books. I'm very glad I bought this excellent introduction to a great author and would recommend it to everyone who just enjoys a good read. I understand there is a new one coming out soon and that will be on my Kindle at the first opportunity.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6