Profile for Miss AL Holloway > Reviews

Content by Miss AL Holloway
Top Reviewer Ranking: 287

Miss AL Holloway (Oswestry)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tenvis JPT3815/JPT3815W Wireless Network IP Camera IR CCTV Security Monitor Webcam WIFI Pan/ Tilt (2-Way Audio, Night Version, PT control, iPhone & Android Mobile View - Black
Offered by GLOBALEBUY-UK
Price: 31.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts on this camera:, 21 July 2014
Full disclosure: I was approached by the supplier to review this item and a sample was provided, no attempt was made to influence my opinion, what is written below is my true thoughts on this product.

I have not used an IP Camera before, so I am unable to compare to different models, but I was curious to give this a go. It arrived quickly. In the box you get the camera, power supply, mounting bracket, screws, the software on CD and a manual. First impressions were that the camera itself looked nice and sturdy and that it was not too complicated to set up. I chose not to mount it on the wall, instead preferring the option of moving it around the room and to other rooms in the house.

Setting it up was easy enough. It took me around ten minutes to install everything and get it up and running. A more savvy person may be able to do this even quicker, but I don't think ten minutes is bad at all. Getting it on to my home network was a little more complicated, but as I said I am not the most tech savvy of people, so that is probably just me. And I figured it out eventually so not a big problem.

From what I can gather, this is very much an entry level model. The picture quality is acceptable but not especially brilliant. More than adequate for general use but not crystal clear. I was impressed that I was able to control the angles of the camera from my browser, but slightly disappointed that all features were only available in Internet Explorer. An update to the software to include more browsers including my preferred browser Google Chrome, would have made me like it even more. A small inconvenience but something to consider.

Brilliantly you can also download an app to control from your phone, I have an android device and I was able to do this with ease.

I have had a few issues with freezing and frame rate but these are intermittent and may be related to my internet connection.

What you want from this camera will depend on how useful you find it. It would work great as a baby monitor or home security camera, but you are better off sticking with a conventional webcam if all you want is the occasional skype chat.

PROS: Looks good, easy setup, multiple uses, can be controlled by browser or phone, reasonable price.

CONS: Not fully compatible with all browsers, has to be plugged in to mains, having a battery would have been a good second option.

Overall this is very good for the price, and I have enjoyed the opportunity of testing it. If you need a security camera or baby monitor this is a worthwhile purchase at a reasonable price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2014 8:43 PM BST

Duronic HDS3 Mini 3 Port Gold HDMI Auto Switch PIANO BLACK 3x1 (3 way input 1 output HDMI Switcher)
Offered by DURONIC
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great., 15 July 2014
This little gadget is the perfect solution to my problems. Simple to use, I can now plug all the devices I need into the television at once. At the current price it is a great bargain too. Nothing else to add really, it does what I need it to do, and I'm very happy with this purchase.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 9.8 Feet/3.0 m Supports Ethernet / 3D / Audio Return (Newest Standard)
Price: 5.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it should., 14 July 2014
I needed this to connect my laptop to the tv for gaming. It works perfectly and is no different from more expensive cables I've used in the past. It also arrived very quickly, I cannot fault it.

Laptop Screen for NEW SONY VPC-EB 15.5" WXGAP LAPTOP LED SCREEN VPCEB Notebook LCD Screen Panel Display
Offered by Cambridge Accessories
Price: 44.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, 11 July 2014
When first ordering this product, being not overly tech savvy, I ordered the wrong product. The seller was spot on in helping me correct this mistake and ensuring I got what I actually needed. When it came to fitting the screen, the instructions were easy to follow so that even someone with little or no experience can do it. I am very pleased that I managed to do this myself and saved a fortune on what it would have cost had I just sent it to a professional to replace the screen. For anyone thinking of doing it themselves, go for it! If I can do it I am sure you can. Excellent product and service, great value for money.

Among Friends [DVD] [2012] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Among Friends [DVD] [2012] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ AJ Bowen
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars With friends like these..., 7 Jun 2014
Scream queen Danielle Harris steps behind the camera in her directorial debut, Among Friends.

A group of friends get together for a 1980s themed murder mystery party. It is supposed to be just a game, but it soon becomes all too real. One of the gang takes over as host and suddenly no one is having any fun. It is time for this group of friends to find out just how good friends they really are.

Lots of secrets and betrayals are revealed, and there are plenty of moments that will make you wince!

The story is easy to understand, and decently acted. There is a reasonable amount of torture and gore, but it is not over done. One scene is particularly brutal, you'll know it when you see it!

Overall I enjoyed this film, it has a decent pace and the ending leaves it open for a sequel. It's not for the faint hearted or the squeamish, but if you're ok with a bit of torture, this is well worth a watch!

Found [DVD]
Found [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gavin Brown
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing, unique horror film, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Found [DVD] (DVD)
This movie is just something else! I'd wanted to see this for ages and it did not disappoint! When the opening line of a film is "my brother keeps a human head in his closet" you know this isn't going to be your run of the mill slasher.

This is the story of Marty, a young boy who is having trouble at school from bullies, and is obsessed with horror films. One day whilst looking for something in his older brother Steve's room, he discovers the head, and realises that his brother is the serial killer that is being talked about on the local news.

Being a horror fan, his reaction to this is not what most people's would be, he is actually fascinated. And having a serial killer brother may not be such a bad thing, if they can help you by getting rid of your enemies....

However, things take a turn for the worse and spiral out of control. To say any more would be to spoil this awesome, unique film.

It is well acted and believable, and in places very bloody. This is definitely not for the faint of heart. The ending was a bit of a shock, even to me! If you are a horror movie fan, you need to see this.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2014 8:23 AM BST

Optrex Eye Revive Moisture Mist 10 ml
Optrex Eye Revive Moisture Mist 10 ml
Price: 13.81

1.0 out of 5 stars Allergic reaction?, 7 May 2014
Full disclosure: I am a member of Bzzagent, a company that sends samples out to it's members to test, talk about and review. I received this product from Bzzagent. Prior to receiving it my only experience with eye drops was a prescription product I was given by my doctor for conjunctivitis.

I was excited to try EyeRevive Moisture Mist as I thought it might be the answer to my prayers. I often stay up late and spend a lot of time at the computer, so I thought this product would be ideal for refreshing my eyes.

I read the instructions and saw nothing in them that worried me about using this product, in fact it seemed very easy and safe.

THINGS I LIKED:

You don't have to spray it directly into your eyes, you instead spray it on to your eyelids when your eyes are closed. As there is no contact with your skin this is fine to share with other people. It is compact and will fit into all but the tiniest handbags, or even in your pocket.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:

Well, where to begin. Reading the other reviews it seems I am a special case but this product does not agree with me at all. After using for three days, the skin around my eyes became dry and irritated, my eyelids are slightly swollen and feel painful like a bruise, and my eyes themselves are watery and bloodshot. It is very uncomfortable and I am very disappointed. Oh, and it doesn't smell very nice either!

I cannot possibly recommend this product based on my own experience of it, but I do believe that my reaction is rare, so my advice would be approach with caution and try before you buy.

Compulsion Blu-Ray
Compulsion Blu-Ray
Dvd ~ Joe Mantegna
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk
Price: 26.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good premise, good acting, but just didn't quite do it for me, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Compulsion Blu-Ray (Blu-ray)
I was intrigued to see this film after reading about it and watching the trailer, it seemed like just the sort of demented story I would enjoy.

On the surface it seemed ideal. Crazy storyline, good actors, and being a remake of a Korean film (called 301/302 after the appartment numbers) I figured I was going to be in for something a bit hardcore as Asian horror often is. Well, I'm going to have to check out the original now, because whilst this showed a lot of promise, I found it ultimately a bit slow, repetitive and tame. It could have been so much more.

Both lead actresses are brilliant and bring a lot of life and emotion to their roles. Heather Graham playing the food obsessed Amy in a brilliantly manic way, and Carrie Ann Moss as troubled Saffron was pretty heartbreaking. There was a bit of repetition though and the story did not move along as quickly as I would have liked, then suddenly, it was all over. The ending was a bit of a disappointment also, I could get what was implied by the ending, but it was almost too subtle. I would have also liked more of Saffron's back story.

That said, it was quite an enjoyable watch with great acting from the two leads. Worth a rent if not one to add to the collection, and I am now intrigued to see the film that this was based on.

THE TRADE
THE TRADE
Price: 2.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Thriller, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: THE TRADE (Kindle Edition)
If you enjoy reading thriller novels, The Trade is a rather good one. Told from many different perspectives, this is the story of Kristyna, a woman who was sold as a sex slave. She escaped that horror and made a good life for herself with a husband and daughter, but her past catches up with her. Her former "owner" has her framed for the murder of her own husband, and her daughter is missing. Kristyna has to get out of jail, search for her daughter and clear her name. Meanwhile we also see things unfold from the perspective of FBI agents looking for Kristyna, the lowlifes who are part of the "Natasha trade", and Teresa, Kristyna's young daughter.

There is a lot going on but it is easy to understand and not over complicated. The bits about the sex slave trade and auctions are disturbing and upsetting, but not over done or too explicit. I am often disappointed by endings of books but in this case I liked the ending. If you enjoy suspense and do not find the subject matter too disturbing (the majority of the book is about Kristyna's hunt for her daughter and the FBI looking for Kristyna) then I recommend this book.

Prank [DVD] [2012] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Prank [DVD] [2012] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Henry Monfries
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 6.37

4.0 out of 5 stars If you can find it, it's worth a watch, 11 Sep 2013
It seems that this film has not been given a UK release, which is a shame. If you like horror, specifically found footage/hidden camera style, then this is well worth watching.

The clown mask used on the box art is a little misleading, masks are only worn briefly in the film. The story focuses on some unpopular friends who decide to get their own back with a prank. Naturally things do not go according to plan and it is all caught on camera. It is well acted and feels natural, as if you are really watching home video footage. I liked it a lot, but I would like to have known what happened when the cameras stopped rolling. The film was marketed as the footage being their "defense", this suggests to me that they were on trial. Therefore a bit of text at the end saying who was charged with what and how the case turned out, would for me have bumped this up by a star. Still good though, if you're a fan of the genre particularly, this is worth seeking out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20