Profile for MT > Reviews

Content by MT

MT "Mark" (Edinburgh)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Was it worth it?, 25 Jun. 2012
Had to replace my IE7's which were left in little pieces after my cat finally managed to get his paws on them. I liked my IE7's although I'm not sure I got the best out of them as I may not have chosen to fit the right earbuds. Anyway the difference?

Night and Day. Even without having burned them in the sound is incredible, far more vibrant and punchier than my IE7's. The bass is also far more prominant. I listened to a few of my favourite and well known tracks and I'm hearing intracacies that I've never heard before. I'm now going to have to go back to my Hi-Fi (CA650A+C and Monitor Audio Floorstanders) to double check if it's up to the job!!

Packaging is great as always and really important for me is I can swap the cable out if my little tyke gets his paws on them again. I believe the cable is about £25 so I'll be stocking up!!

The fact you can manually tune the bass response is a nice feature too.

A lot of people will say how can you justify £250.00 for a pair of earphones, I would say to them, if you love music how can you afford not to. I love them and they are only going to get better once burned in.

Delighted with them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2012 3:31 PM BST

The Curry Secret: How to Cook Real Indian Restaurant Meals at Home
The Curry Secret: How to Cook Real Indian Restaurant Meals at Home
by Kris Dhillon

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need any other curry book., 20 Mar. 2010
This book is fantastic. I hold it in such high regard that I've just ordered a second copy in case something happens to my original.

The most important thing to remember when buying this book is that it is a recreation of UK Indian restaurant/takeaway food and not the more traditional 'authentic' Indian dishes which vary incredibly from region to region.

I bought this book because I'm a huge huge Vindaloo fan and must admit to preferring takeaway Vindaloo to authentic Goan versions which I find a bit too rich and sickly. I've tried around 15 different vindaloo recipes, original and tweaked and could never get it tasting as good as my local restaurant/takeaway did...UNTIL I bought this book. After 7 years of cooking Vindaloo I've found my ideal recipe and I won't be using any other, the only thing I would mention is that the book doesn't tell you to marinade the meat in vinegar. Some restaurants do some don't. This book has the Vindaloo sauce I've been searching for, for years.

If you can get your head around the fact that there is a base curry sauce that needs to be prepared and then every other curry dish uses this as it's main base then you will really appreaciate this book (after reading the reviews for 'The New Curry Secret' I can see some people just can't get their heads around a base sauce)

You can make this base in huge quantities and freeze it, same with the meat preperation if you have the time and inclination. Most of the actual curries only seem to take about 15 to 20 mins to make after you've prepared the base.

So far I've made a Lamb Vindaloo and a Chicken Jalfrezi (I only got the book on Thursday is my excuse for not trying more) and both have been lovely. All of the favorites are here, Madras, Vindaloo, Rogan Josh, Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Tikka Masala etc. There are also good sections on starters, Nan Breads, Vegetable Curries and Rice dishes.

What also impresses me is that the majority of curry recipes don't contain flour or added sugars and are probably suitable for a low carb diet.

If you want to recreate your takeaway favorites I can't recommend this book highly enough, if you are after traditional Indian fare buy a different book.

BT Mango DECT Twin - Black
BT Mango DECT Twin - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Junk, 8 Mar. 2008
I bought my twin Mango's about a year ago and I shall be replacing them this month. It is going to give me great pleasure in destroying them before I chuck them out.

One of my phones loses it's battery capacitance within minutes of a recharge, they do feel THAT cheap and there is the annoying last caller list as already pointed out, they can also be very fiddly to use.

The battery life lasts about a day when out of the cradle (due to maximising my plug points, I've always just rotated the two phones, one charging, one in use).

I could have sent them back to BT under warranty but the bottom line is that I truly hate these phones and can't wait to replace them.

Three From The Vault
Three From The Vault

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise but brilliant., 1 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Three From The Vault (Audio CD)
Ok there are a lot and I mean a lot of Grateful Dead live albums out there but this one is special. The atmosphere feels electric and totally gets the feet tapping!

Yes, there are much longer sets out there with more tracks but this one just seems to get it right all the way through.

This has some great tracks on it with a good mix of country and blues and a little 'spacey' jamming. No Dark Star though and even much more to my chagrin - no 'Lovelight' - stick the amazing Two from the Vault 'Lovelight' onto this set and I'd be in Dead Heaven.

I've bought a few Dead live albums before and since Three from the Vault - but this is the album I keep coming back to.

Pigpen is still in the band for this 1971 set which enhances the great bluesy feel although the mixture of blues/country/folk is just about right and even tempered throughout the album.

Highlights are a solid 'Truckin', 'It Hurts Me Too' a relatively short but to the point 'Playing in the Band', 'Greatest Story Ever Told', 'Easy Wind', an amazing and coherent performance of 'Good Lovin' and to cap it all an absolutely rocking 'Casey Jones'. Despite no 'Lovelight' and the relatively and I do mean relatively short set (It's only 2hrs22mins long!!) this is my favorite live Dead album yet, just for the consistency of great tunes - smokin'.

Platoon
Platoon
by Robert Hemphill
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd expected., 11 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Platoon (Mass Market Paperback)
I wasn't expecting this to be like Oliver Stones 'Platoon' yet somehow I came away with a real sense of indifference about this book.
I have read about 12 books about soldiers experiences in Vietnam but this is the first one I have read from an officers perspective. In most of the books I have read there seems to be a gulf between the 'grunt' and the officer in line companies and in this particular style of writing this is very apparant.
The book is very factual and I think it's unique point lies in a very thorough perspective of how a Captain maneuvers 4 platoons during battle. The radio chatter was very informative.
However the book seems to lack much in the way of personalisation. Many of the names used are pseudonyms (you are told this frequently throught the book)and this tends to detract from the realism.
The author has no hesitation in making his feelings clear about the inneficiency of those further up the chain of command and some of his peers. Yet everything he does smacks of super efficiency in comparison. As another reviewer put it - does he ever do anything wrong, does he make a mistake? Compared to the chaos he describes the answer is a resounding no. I don't know the author and he may have been the best company commander in Vietnam, yet somehow the way he describes his actions they come across as perfect.
The author always refers to Bravo Company as the best and in some cases is quite scathing of the other companies. His company is always the cavalry for the beleaguered Alpha, Charlie and Delta companies. At the beginning of the book he states that from all the companies Bravo are the worst he could wish for - not just the worst in the battalion but the worst in the brigade. Whilst I don't doubt the authors methods I just find it a little hard to swallow that they became the battalions best company almost overnight.
Ultimately this is an informative read but I think I'll stick with a grunts view of the war.

Greatest Hits ... And More
Greatest Hits ... And More
Offered by vinylandcds

5.0 out of 5 stars Pickin' up every stitch, 16 Oct. 2004
When I was 18, which was about the third summer of love (1990) I had a copy of the 'Record Collector' magazine and had read about Donovan...one day (one of the hottest days that year) Radio one were playing 'Hot Summer' tracks and I heard this song that was so damn catchy - I turned to my dad and said that's Donovan even though I'd never heard this song before...turned out it was 'Sunshine Superman' the first track on this album. I knew I'd love Donovan after that.
During the 60's under the production of Micky Most, Donovan produced some of his greatest music, everything from Dylanesque folk to Beatles backed tracks such as Mellow Yellow. This album concentrates on Donovans electric heyday 66-69. You won't hear all of Donovans styles on this album (folk and jazz to name a few) but you will hear some of the gentlest, insightful tunes ever written - just listen to 'Happiness Runs' which is like a childrens nursery rhyme but somehow manages to transcend generations and be relevant on many levels - 'Happiness runs in a circular emotion, thought is but a little boat upon the sea.. Happiness Runs Happiness Runs...' This is a great representation of Donovans heyday but by no means is a definitive collection. Thankfully though all the songs are representative of Donovans best albums of the 60's except the playfull and acoustic 1967 set 'Donovan in Concert' which spins a whole new take on these songs.
Start here though and if you like what you hear then there is better to come on the American imports of Donovans 1966 and 1967 albums 'Sunshine Superman' and 'Mellow Yellow'...Don't waste your time with the UK version of 'Sunshine Superman' which for legal reasons is an abridged version of the first two albums and misses some great tracks from the full albums.
To sum up.. you can hear the embodiment of the 60's in this album, you really can hear the innocence in his voice..not fake and certainly not cashing in (there is a lot of debate about whether Donovans 'Sunshine Superman' single or the Byrds 'Eight Miles High' was the first Pyschedelic single).
If you long for a better place when you shut your eyes then this is a good starting place...but that is what it is, a starting place that isn't represntative of all of Donovans styles. Hey, you have to start someplace though and it's where I started my long appreciation of this mans brilliance.
I hope you enjoy.

Last Train To Mashville
Last Train To Mashville
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars We don't dance to techno anymore...., 22 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Last Train To Mashville (Audio CD)
I first loved Alabama3 because I love the Blues and I like Dance and I like a whole lot of different styles. Alabama3 are as eclectic as they come and what they throw into the cooking pot always comes out a five star gourmet dish.
On this album you get an entree that they forgot to serve at the start of the dinner. This is stripped down acoustic blues/gospel served up with a very wry look at life . If you know the Alabama3 (and everyone should) then you can only marvel at how they can take their back catalogue and virtually re-record what I thought were true gems in the first place and create versions that are equally as good as the originals.
I can't choose between them and I think it would be wrong to. I suggest that you buy all the Alabama3 albums and make up your own mind.
My only criticism is that this album is too short at 37.32 - however quality does count more than quantity this time around!
PS They really are amazing live!
PPS Last Train to Mashville Vol 1 can only be bought at their gigs - but it does exist and is more of the same.

Winter Chill 3: 30 True Chill Out Tracks
Winter Chill 3: 30 True Chill Out Tracks
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"

5.0 out of 5 stars Ssshhhh - Best Kept Secrets., 28 Dec. 2003
In the scheme of all things compilation album orientated, the Winter Chill series definitely pulls the strings that make the massive compilation world turn.
If you like lying on your bed drifting into the memories of good times gone by then this is the album for you - it will put a wry little smile on your face.
Looking at the track listing you'll see some names you recognise and some you don't. EVERY song on here sets a mood and each stands shoulder to shoulder with the following song. Take the crystaline beauty of Kosheens 'Gone' or the darker 'Empty Beaches' by Night Traffic; everything here fits any way round like the proverbial glove you need for winter chills. This album is the thought of being warm when it's snowing heavily outside your window.
My only critcism is that this album is so mellow it will put you to sleep, unfortunately without the ability to pull you back from the brink.
Buy this album, but only after Winter Chill Volume 2, this is THE true gem as the pace is a little more varied but still without breaking sweat.
Enjoy.