Profile for Linzal > Reviews

Becoming A Jackal
Offered by Side Two
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my godness, 14 Oct 2010
This review is from: Becoming A Jackal (Audio CD)
When you listen to a new album and it is like falling in love, spending the day thinking about when you can next listen to it. The rising flutter in your stomach, feeling sick and tingling and elated and excited all at once. The haunting melodies and darkly lyrical poetic words - the music creeps up through my flesh, crawls through my veins, settles in my elbows and knees and runs rings in my mind. Something primal, urgent and real yet simultaniously haltingly ethereal, mystical and beautiful.

This sounds like an awful lot of prentious rubbish, but it is what I actually wrote after two days of first listening to this album. A month or so on prehaps my attitude has tempered a little and some logic has crept in, but I'm not sure I wanted it to. This is by no means a flawless album, but it is one that speaks to you (it does to me at least). There are some very special moments - particularly tracks 1, 2 and 4. Though for me I think track 8 Pieces, is one of the best things I have heard this year. There should be more howling in songs in general.

There is something quite special about this album. It is also really quite unnerving.

"Before you take this song as truth, you should wonder what I'm taking from you. How I benefit from you being here, lending me your ears, while I'm selling you my fears"

I have clearly bought into Conor J Obrien's fears wholesale, but I fail to see how one cannot when he a is a purveyor of such sincerity.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2013 2:22 PM GMT

GRAVITY CALLING
GRAVITY CALLING
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should buy this, then they would understand what I have banging on about for the last five years!, 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: GRAVITY CALLING (Audio CD)
I first saw Flipron around five years ago having stuck a pin in a listings magazine to decide what to do that evening. Good pin. Thinking back I think perhaps I should have made all my decisions via the method of blindfold and pin.

Ever since that fateful pin Flipron's music has rarely been far from my stereo, and has always been bubbling away in my consciousness. It is beautiful and fun, doesn't take itself too seriously but at the same time deals with the big things: love death zombies baboons old people truth lies.

One of the things people say quite often say about Flipron is that they impossible to catagorize. But I wouldn't imagine that that helps an amazon buyer too much so I guess I will have to try. Normally I describe them to friends, acquaintences and anyone who will listen as bluesy indie folky dark poetic melodramatice theatrical goodness. So if that's your kind of thing...

This is their third album and perhaps the most accessible. It is my favourite, and my rock and metal obssessed husband doesn't demand I turn it off immediately so I guess that it's his favourite too. The high points for me are Gravity Calling, which has a mean ass riff, Book of Lies, Zombie Blues - but that is only if you pushed me, the quality is great throughout. Their second album Biscuits for Ceberus has moments of genius, especially thematically and lyrically, but it much more patchy. The first album is just great.

So now buy this album. Then buy their first album Fancy Blue and Rustiue Novelties. Then bore all your friends talking about this great new band you've found...

Give Up
Give Up
Price: 15.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it buy it buy it buy it now, 4 Feb 2010
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
This is my favourite album of all time. Well, at the moment at least. I have owned to for over 5 years and keep coming back to it again and again and never get bored of it. Just simple and beautiful.