Profile for Sollux > Reviews

Content by Sollux

Sollux

Chewing The Fat - Deluxe Edition
Chewing The Fat - Deluxe Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Missing - but has some redeeming qualities, 16 Jun 2014
Pre-Ordered this album as soon as I saw it. Couldn't wait to get it today, as I have had the Original 12" vinyl versions of Klacto and Sanchez since the early 80's but I'm disappointed with this release.

I was hoping I would get Klactoveesedstein and Me & Mr Sanchez in their full 12" glory. BUT as with many of these remaster re-releases they have chopped bits off. Klactoveesedstein in 12" guise was 4:46 long here the shorter album version is only 3:49. Then the B- side Klacto II Original was 4:59 here just 4:13. These I can almost forgive, BUT the omission of the first 16 seconds of "A Capella" intro of the Me & Mr Sanchez 12" version is unforgivable, in fact this is only the instrumental mix, why does it not say that on the inlay?.

The remastering is a bit suspect on some of the original album tracks, notably during the intro of Klactoveesedstein with an audible low background whine, which I can't hear on the Original 12" vinyl version, but maybe it has always been there on the album version.

[UPDATE - 26-Jul-14]

I was originally a bit harsh on the remixes, but after three days of listening in the car on the way to work this week the remixes on the bonus disc have grown on me. the highlights being:-

Klactoblusedstein - A more jazzy instrumental version with enhanced sax and a good Cha Cha beat.

Malandro Do Shanchez - A heavy samba beat instrumental version with lots of piano and some good drum breaks.

Changez - Has the Merengue Hip-Hop treatment here and is very danceable.

If you like Latin dance music you will love the Chewing the Fat bonus disc. Sound quality and mastering is spot on the bonus disc.

After my initial disappointment, overall I think this is worth the 4 stars. Just the 1 point dropped for the missed opportunities.

If you like Merengue Hip-Hop style check out Fulanito:-

Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 6:16 AM BST

WD 2TB My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage - NAS
WD 2TB My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage - NAS

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for Me, 6 Mar 2014
I was unsure about this device after reading some of the reviews, but the lower price attracted me to it. I was in the unfortunate situation where my old buffalo NAS had died and didn't have the cash to splash out on a synology 2 disk setup, so I needed a quick cheap replacement.Luckily I had a backup of all my data on an external drive. :-). I downloaded the latest updates for it, ran the installer and assigned it a fixed IP outside of my routers DCHP range. Set up two password protected users and a few shares. I have been using the WD for a few weeks now, loaded all my music(FLAC, WAV and MP3) and photos onto it and it is doing its job as expected. I've not had any problems streaming music (mp3s) to and downloading/viewing photos on iPhone/iPad using the WD app. I can use non WD apps like Tuneshell running on the iPhone/iPad to play the FLAC files, but this is a bit clunky as the WD only shows the filename string, and most of my track names are at the end of the filename.Apart from this little niggle, the only Issue I found was when I changed settings on my router. The changes I made required a reboot of the router at which point I had to power down the WD before it I could see it on the network post router reboot. This makes me suspect that when others have seen problems where it has dropped off their networks it could be an issue with their router rather than the WD itself. Anyway, So far so good for a cheap 2TB of cloud storage.

CiT 3.5 inch USB 2.0 SATA and IDE HDD Enclosure
CiT 3.5 inch USB 2.0 SATA and IDE HDD Enclosure

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I needed for recovering old data., 21 Mar 2013
Great product for the price, Connects easily to IDE and SATA drives with just two screws at the back for securing the drive in the case. Plug into laptop USB et voila. Didn't have to install any drivers and drive was available instantly in Windows Explorer navigation pane. Took about 5 minutes to do from opening the box and without even looking at the instructions. Currently backing up wav files from a collection of old drives from old desktop PCs to the safety of my NAS. When I'm done recovering from old drives, I'll fit a 1Tb SATA (manual says can go up to 1.5 Tb) and use it as backup for my NAS.

10W 900LM LED RGB 16 COLOR CHANGING Waterproof SPOTLIGHT Flood Light Garden Lamp Floodlight Outdoor Indoor w/ IR Remote Control + AC Adaptor New (with EPISTAR led chip)
Offered by coolindi

3.0 out of 5 stars Not So Bright, 26 Oct 2012
I ordered two of these. They are not as bright as I expected, I could do with adding a third or maybe even a fourth to give the equivalent output in white mode to light up a garden statue that was previously lit by two 80W par 38s.

Also one of them seems to have a slight pinkish hue when white is the selected colour.

Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes
Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Music, 12 July 2012
This box set is amazing. There are so many tracks on here that have been given a new lease of life. Okay there is some tape hiss here and there, but some were recorded 40 years ago. Backstabbers is the highlight for me and is what I bought the collection for. The rest are a bonus and what a bonus they are.