Profile for Mr. C. E. Jesson > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. E. Jesson

Mr. C. E. Jesson "University of Sheffield" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Sony Ericsson T280i Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver/Black
Sony Ericsson T280i Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver/Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job simply, some errors present, 1 Nov. 2009
I purchased this phone as a replacement for my Sony Ericsson K700i which I had for 3 years without trouble. This is possibly a downgrade from the K700i but it does the job fairly well. Where it has been sometimes poor is on the reliability front - on more than one occasion the phone has switched itself off mid call and only when certain numbers are phoned. This is when the battery is not empty and it can be quite frustrating. The frequency of this happening is about 1 in 40 calls. There are minimal features on this phone but that is exactly what I wanted. Buttons work a lot better than on the K700i though texting can take longer to process than some phones.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2010 3:42 PM BST

Sandisk 8GB Sansa Clip MP3 Player with Radio - Black
Sandisk 8GB Sansa Clip MP3 Player with Radio - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, super compact and great value, 6 Jan. 2009
I bought this MP3 player just after Christmas - I had a budget of £30-£35 and thought I wouldn't be able to get 8GB, but did. This MP3 player is superb, the battery life is more than adequate as is the sound through the standard earphones. It is tiny, fits into the palm of your hand and the clip feature is brilliant for the gym.

It looks stylish and seems to be made of a high quality plastic. Nothing flimsy here touch wood.

Another good feature - no annoying software to install, simple transfer from Windows Media Player! Radio has good reception as does the microphone.

Minus points:

You need the 8GB, I have 1500 tracks and it's registering as 'nearly full'.

Playlists - There is a function for this called the Go list, but it seems rather basic and I can't figure out how to create my own new one with my chosen name. Maybe I will find out how to do this in the future.

FM Radio - As said above good reception, but goes up in odd number intervals beginning at 87.1, 87.3, 87.5 etc meaning I can't listen to radio stations at .2, .4 etc intervals but this is a minor annoyance, hardly awful.

---OVERALL--

Value 10/10
Support 8/10
Speed 9/10
TOTAL 88/100
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2011 5:56 PM BST

Now That's What I Call Music! 70
Now That's What I Call Music! 70
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Its your own fault for buying it if you dont like it, NOW compilations are good for what they are..., 14 July 2008
NOW Compilations serve their purpose well. This edition is better than past efforts as it includes a few more recent party tunes. For those who have written a negative review, it is obvious what to expect from a NOW compilation, you seriously cant purchase these CDs not knowing what music is included.

End of the Road: The Story of the Downfall of Rover. Chris Brady & Andrew Lorenz: The Real Story of the Downfall of Rover
by Christopher Brady

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but could have done with more in the 2000-2005 chapters, 26 Mar. 2008
As a diehard fan of British cars, I wanted to read this very much and was, on the whole very pleased with it. The sections from 1994-2000 under the BMW Years were well described and told me facts I didnt know before. The 'boardroom relations' were also well documented. However I cant help thinking that the republished, extended edition was rushed into print without much thought being put into how much to write. The sections about MG Rover (2000-2005) need more detail and if the book had been written for longer and ,say published last year or this year, the text could have been given more successful ratings. Still worth the purchase though, very much so.

Hed Kandi The Mix: Summer 2007
Hed Kandi The Mix: Summer 2007
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased overall with the compilation!, 26 Mar. 2008
For me, this was a good purchase. There are hardly any songs I dont like on it, as so happens often with these compilations. It is my first hed kandi CD box that I have bought though and usually steer clear of them. This could change my mind. I particularly like Byron Stingily (Get up everybody) and of course I want your soul by Armand Van Helden. Dont buy if you want something less commercial (although trust me it isnt that commercial!!) mind you if you have a clue what is, then you shouldnt be looking at these CD's anyway!

Anthems 1991-2008
Anthems 1991-2008
Offered by rsc-media

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate for someone who likes chart dance music, 26 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Anthems 1991-2008 (Audio CD)
It bemuses me why negative comments towards most dance compilations always say 'same stuff repackaged' - dont buy it then!! The song lists are provided beforehand to give you an idea of what songs and genres are included. This compilation, though not the best for someone who prefers less commercial music is good to put on in the background or in the car. It serves its purpose well.

Debut
Debut
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly very good, 5 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Debut (Audio CD)
I found this album to be very pleasant, although I didnt favour all the songs on it. Violently Happy, Crying, Human Behaviour, Venus as a Boy and Big Time Sensuality are great tracks indeed. I advise you to buy this album.

Post
Post
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Post (Audio CD)
I am extremely impressed with this album, and Bjork fully deserved much success with it. The tracks 'army of me,' 'isobel', 'possibly maybe' and 'hyperballad' are real treasures. My favourite song on the album definately has to be hyperballad, it is a beautiful sound!

I even like the much maligned 'Oh its so quiet'. I think a lot of the negativity towards this song comes about because Bjork herself isnt keen on it, and because many other people in the general public dont!

Recommended 5/5

Volta: Extra Tracks
Volta: Extra Tracks

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly very good, 5 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Volta: Extra Tracks (Audio CD)
As an up and coming Bjork fan, I am mostly impressed with 'Volta', especially the tracks 'Wanderlust' and 'Earth Intruders'. However I am still not getting used to the track 'dull flame of desire' which does in fact seem quite drab. However I am listening to it more and more to see If I can understand/get used to it. The same took place with 'declare independence' and I now really like the song. I prefer Post and Debut on the whole, but this album has some very good aspects which must be admired. On the other hand it doesnt quite have the wow factor that made a lot of the other albums stand out. I recommend the album all the same, because it isnt a bad egg, and I think its totally unjustifiable to label it a 1 or 2 star album. 3 or 4 is about right.

I look forward to seeing her live next year.

Sony NW A Series Walkman Portable MP3-Player
Sony NW A Series Walkman Portable MP3-Player

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in some areas, less polished in others..., 5 Jan. 2008
I have owned my NW-A3000 since June 2006 and have had mixed fortunes with it.

Good points:

Sound Quality - the Earphones provided are more than reasonable, producing far better sound than most offerings

Sound options - you can adjust the sound to produce more base, or to settings such as 'pop, jazz or rock' for example which is a nifty idea. Furthermore you can choose a customised setting which I have used to good effect.

Search functions - These, along with the 'artist link' function operate fairly effectively.

Menus - These are well lit and not too cluttered at all.

Design - a very good looking mp3 player and the backlit display is really great. Violet is the best colour for this player.

Build quality - This player has withstood most things, with the odd scratch here and there.

The 'liveable' points:

Software ease of use - if you ignore the slow operation (mentioned below) then the connect software isnt hard to understand.

Favourite 100 - a good feature but it changes every time I put new songs onto the player, to include songs I either dont like or never play! strange!

The ratings system - another fairly good, if pointless feature and the ratings occasionally do get wiped off every time more music is added

Design of the headphones jack - I found the position of the headphone plug in point meant that the headphone wire was under a lot of pressure, and eventually the wire began to snap off.

Menu operation - well designed they may be, but they arent the quickest when sifting through songs. Dont perform a song search while a song is played, it is much quicker when nothing is.

Bad Points:

Software operation - The connect software is very slow to recognise the player, and often crashes. Then when you try to reload it the computer says 'connect player is already running'. Furthermore the time it takes to put songs onto the player is much slower than my father's creative Zen or Brother's i-pod. I can live with it, but dont expect to put songs on in a hurry!

Battery life - I bought this player mainly because of the 20GB storage and the claimed 35hour battery life. The latter simply is untrue in my case, because I struggle for it to operate 5 hours. Apparently the battery uses technology whereby leaving the charger on and plugged in doesnt affect battery life in the long run. All I can say is that this might not be quite right! Again its manageable, but occasionally annoying.

Design 7/10