Profile for David Cross > Reviews

Content by David Cross

David Cross (Sussex, England)

Obaku By Ingersoll Gents Silver Dial Stainelss Steel Bracelet Watch
Obaku By Ingersoll Gents Silver Dial Stainelss Steel Bracelet Watch

2.0 out of 5 stars Good looking watch but disappointing!, 13 Feb 2012
I bought this watch as a replacement for an elderly Timex which had given excellent service. Imagine how disappointed I was when after a month the glass cracked. Ingersoll claim it is the latest development in watch glass technology and the Titan glass is 10 times stronger than other watch glasses. Well this is the first glass I have had crack in over 40 years! Admttedly I have had a few scratches but never broken. The only thing that might have broken it was searching down the side of an armchair for something my grandson had lost. I have now moved on to a Lorus titanium Sports watch and after a fairly heavy DIY project there is no sign of scratching at all and the glass is intact!

My other criticism is the calendar which has white numerals on a black background. I find this difficult to read in anything other than bright light. Time keeping is excellent as one comes to expect these days. Would I buy it again? The answer is no as not only did the glass break but it is also easily scratched. Also Ingersoll do not cover the watch glass on their "Lifetime" guarentee. There are tougher and equally good looking watches you can choose from and, unlike the Obaku, you can go swimming with them. The only good thing is that I only paid £34.28 for it (plus £18 for a new watch glass) !

Dell U2312 23 inch Widescreen IPS Panel LCD Monitor (bezel - grey/silver in colour)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - pity about the carrier!, 24 Oct 2011
Having researched this item I have to say that it has lived up to my expectations. I bought it to improve things with photo editing and it is proving very successfull. A professional graphics designer saw what I was doing and he could not find fault. His only comment was that perhaps there was a little too much saturation but I had made no adjustments so hardly the fault of the monitor!

My BIG BIG problem was with the carrier - HDNL. It all looked good. I had notification that it was out for delivery on the Tuesday so I made sure someone was in. It was not delivered but was "returned to the depot". The same thing happened on Wednesday. On Thursday afternoon I contacted Amazon who contacted HDNL and assured me it would be delivered on Friday without fail. Nothing. We went out on Saturday evening about 7pm and nothing had arrived. When we looked out at 8am on Sunday morning we saw a brown cardboard box sitting in front of one of the cars on the drive. It had rained heavily on Saturday evening and throughout the night. The box was soaked through. Fortunately the monitor was wrapped in a plastic sleeve and then had polystyrene supporting it so the monitor survived - no thanks to HDNL. Usually I have nothing but praise for the carriers used by Amazon but on this occasion I think they badly let down.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 10:01 AM GMT

Matabi Supergreen 16 Knapsack Sprayer 16 Litre
Matabi Supergreen 16 Knapsack Sprayer 16 Litre

4.0 out of 5 stars A professional sprayer, 5 Aug 2011
Having kicked GreenThumb into touch I needed a good quality sprayer for my lawns. After some research I decided on the Matabi 16 litre sprayer. So far it does everything I wanted although I did need to buy a sprayer deflector nozzle for it from Lawnsmith. I can now walk up and down the lawn and spray selective weed killer or liquid fertilisers etc. in no time at all. A really good thing is the pressure regulator which enables the spray to remain consistent. This is important if you are trying to get an even dosage. I have since seen contactors using the same kit so that gives me confidence that it will last a long time. Why did I not give it 5 Stars? Only because I have only used it a couple of times so far and it is a bit early to go overboard with my praise!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2011 3:11 PM BST

Breville VCF042 Wake Cup Hot Water Dispenser
Breville VCF042 Wake Cup Hot Water Dispenser

4.0 out of 5 stars Taste problem solved!, 12 May 2011
I was given one of these Breville Wake Cup machines by my daughters as a present after they had carefully read the reviews. Like a number of people I also found a taste problem despite boiling water through the machine a number of times (at least 10). I then tried bicarbonate of soda (as Breville had recommended to other reviewers) a couple of times and still we had a taste problem. This was still there after a further week's use and, if anything, the off taste was getting more noticeable. I have to ask myself why have Breville not identified what is giving the taste problem and done something about it? Not rocket science with the chemical analysis techniques available today at little cost.

Reading the instructions I saw about de-scaling the machine "every three months or so". Although I had only had it for about two weeks I decided to try Sainsbury's appliance de-scaler. Eureka! After a few flush throughs and a couple of days use we now wake to a perfect cuppa with no off tastes.

So having solved the taste problem what do I think of it? Well it is nice, after all the years since we had to ditch our elderly Teasmade, to be able to wake up to a cup of tea in the morning. Once you have mastered the instructions for the alarm (it is not difficult but not intuitive) it is easy to use and works well. It also looks good. What would I like to see changed? Only one thing really and that is the brightness of the display at night. It seems everything you buy these days has a light built into it. What with our radio clock/alarm, the telephone with it's LCD display and now the Wake Cup it is not exactly dark in the bedroom at night!

If it had not been bought as a present would I buy one? Definitely - but it would have helped if I had known about using de-scaler.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2013 8:48 PM BST

Slimline USB External Dual Layer DVD+-RW in black drive Reads and writes both CD & DVD media. Slim and portable drive for laptops, Netbooks and desktop PCs. Works with Windows and Linux. Works with Samsung NC10 Asus EEE PC , Macbook Air , Acer Aspire One and any other netbooks / laptops.
Offered by GLOBE TRADING

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 29 Mar 2010
I bought this to use with a Samsung NC10 netbook. It certainly does the job when I need it. My only negative comment is that it is quite noisy but, as I don't need to use it that often, that is not really a problem to me.

Sony NWZA815W 2GB video walkman MP3
Sony NWZA815W 2GB video walkman MP3

5.0 out of 5 stars A player to please, 19 Nov 2007
I have had my Sony walkman mp3 for two weeks now and I am blown away with both the quality of the sound and the ease of use. I loaded 5 full classical CD's on in no time at all and I still have space for another 20! I have some pretty high end hi-fi but the sound on this player does not disappoint. It is much easier to use than a previous MP3 player I had. I am now listening to more music than ever before!

Pictures are also easy to upload and although the screen is small they still look pretty good.