Profile for Darren > Reviews

Darren (Manchester)

Kingdom of Rust
Kingdom of Rust

5.0 out of 5 stars Manchesters finest!!, 25 Mar 2009
This review is from: Kingdom of Rust (Audio CD)
It's been a long 4 year wait since the last offering by Doves and I'm happy to report that it has certainly been worth the wait.
Kingdom of Rust sees Doves return with an utter epic album of eclectic tunes that takes you on a journey somehow perfectly painting a picture of the Northwest of England in a way that only Doves can do. I can hear so many influences in this album, the likes of Blondie, Bowie and the Clash to name but a few.
In my humble opinion this is Doves best album yet, surpassing the heights that The Last Broadcast reached. There is not one filler on this album. Personally, for me, Compulsion is the stand out track, that base riff is a killer..
For those of you already familiar with Doves you wont be disappointed. Those of you who aren't then go buy the album, you'll be hooked.
Around the same time last year Elbow released an album that ended with them getting the so richly deserved accolades they had been missing. One can only hope 2009 will prove to be Doves year..

Turn On The Bright Lights
Turn On The Bright Lights
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Album!!, 16 Mar 2006
This album truely is one of the all time greats. People expecting an instant coldplayish buzz will be sadly dissapointed. I reckon it took me around ten plays before it had me. I can only compare my experience of listening this album to that of ok computer. It just has everything on it. From the beautiful way the album begins, the ballsy PDA which truly makes the hairs stand on the back of your neck. The riotous car crash that is Roland, to the beatiful finale. It really does take your breath away. I can only urge people to let this album get hold of you..