Profile for K. Wheeler > Reviews

Content by K. Wheeler

K. Wheeler "hughjampton" (Swanage, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Colin McRae Rally 2.0
Colin McRae Rally 2.0
Offered by Click4entertainment Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars No, no, no! What did you DO???, 3 Jun 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (Video Game)
I'm reluctant to give this even the four stars that I have. Codies took away 2 of the things that made the first one the peach that it was, and still is.
Firstly - the feeling. Without force feedback the first game still made you feel like you were driving on a variety of surfaces. The hiss of the gravel, the crunch of the snow; and dipping (putting a corner wheel off the road to assist cornering) was perfect. This one you fight not to spin if you try it
Second - oh, the biggest sin of all. The look. Scenery? Very nice. The car? Again, just fine. The Roads! They're all tarmac with different colours on them. Flat as a plate. No, no, no - not after the first one.
Get the original, or get the 3rd onwards.
Only buy this if you're determined to own them all for some sort of nostalgia.

Star Trek: Enterprise - Season 1 [DVD] [2002]
Star Trek: Enterprise - Season 1 [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Scott Bakula

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm - It was ok, but..., 13 Dec 2007
I have a problem with Enterprise. The episodes I liked, I liked a lot; the ones I disliked... oh dear.
It's the amount of borrowing from 'later' events (ie OST & ST:TNG). For example, discovering evidence of Borg so close to Earth - given their short range at the time - and no-one 'recognising' them sometime later (TNG). Or the holodeck - and that the Klingons let them go just for a 'toy'?

'Allo 'Allo! - The Complete Series Six [1989] (REGION 1) (NTSC) [DVD] [1982] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Gorden Kaye

1.0 out of 5 stars Humph, 30 Oct 2007
How come?? What is this?? Now don't get me wrong; I'm quite happy for the American/Canadian market to have this available to them - but where the heck is ours??? And this was released over there back in January. We'd barely had the second half of series 5 by then. That's one star for the BBC's rotten ability to share, not for the series itself. I may have to import it if they don't give us a release date soon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2007 5:10 PM GMT

Sideshow (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Sideshow (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Sheri S. Tepper

5.0 out of 5 stars The only time.., 15 Aug 2007
I first read this book many years ago (makes me feel so old, but it was my lunch time read at my work - very vivid memory of this). You become absorbed into the fabric of the characters very quickly, particularly the twins. Sheri doesn't treat her characters with the apparent respect that many other authors do; They seem to feel that the hero/ine should at (almost) all times come out on top. The first one of hers I read was 'After Long Silence', and at the end you knew she wasn't going to give you a comfortable time - or go along with your expectations. (One scene in 'The Gate to Women's Country' springs instantly to mind.) As for the title of the review; I was sat at the table in the kitchen at work, as I usually did on my breaks, reading this book. And when.. well, I'll not spoil it. She draws you in to the plights of the characters, and the twins you could just hug. So when she did...THAT to them I hurled the book across the kitchen and just sat there. I could happily have throttled her! But I was back in the book after a few minutes chilling out. Films may make you cry, but when a book (of fiction) can do that you just have to recommend it to everyone you can.

The Open Door
The Open Door
Offered by dutchtoni

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to judge, 28 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Open Door (Audio CD)
Open letter:

Amy, you still have a fabulous voice - and that's not just my opinion, but that of professional singers (choral, as well as mainstream); and your lyrics still have the epic nature to them that you spoke of in interviews for Fallen, although one or two are more like short stories by comparison (notably Call Me When You're Sober - I guess we have to imply the strength of feeling from the amount of repetition).

My only regret is that we cannot HEAR these things this time - the backing music is so loud we have to read from the insert to find out what you are trying to say. Surely that defeats the whole object of great lyrics. I we have to refer to something at the time then we're not experiencing the piece as a whole because our attention is elsewhere. ("Oh, that's what the word was. Damn, I missed a bit")

We would have given it 3 stars as our average as far as the album stands alone, but I have a focus problem that actually eases when I concentrate on multiple subjects simultaneously - yes, freak! - so I gave it 4 as I'm the one writing it!

Please, please make the next one less difficult to enjoy.

K.

Tigger's Hunny Hunt-Platinum Range
Tigger's Hunny Hunt-Platinum Range

4.0 out of 5 stars Adorable, 15 Dec 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Fun game for small to medium kids, but some of the challenges (for the maximum hunnypots on each level, or pieces of photograph) can be challenging even for adults - so expect to be joining in!!

'Allo 'Allo! - Series 5 - Volume 1 [1988] [DVD]
'Allo 'Allo! - Series 5 - Volume 1 [1988] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gorden Kaye

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's great but..., 24 Nov 2006
I absolutely adore Allo Allo, and am thrilled that they are finally releasing more. I thought we were going to have an endless stream of the first few series of everything ever made, and never finish any of them.

Two problems with series 5. Firstly the episodes are shorter; because they did a whole marathon run of 26 episodes they've spread events a bit thinner.

And secondly, and my biggest bugbear, why not just one Season 5 box set? Almost every other programme has them - Keeping Up Appearances, Green Wing, X-Files, Alias, etc

Oh well, here's looking forward to the end of December for the second half.

Now, if only they'll release the next set of Last of the Summer Wine...

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 (PS2)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007 (PS2)
Offered by Quick Discount Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars It's almost fabulous..., 4 Nov 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok, so it takes a bit of getting used to, but doesn't anything that you'd like to do well? This review is after 3 weeks of play, not 3 hours. My thumbs don't go out of joint, so I use a little bit of sense when I'm setting up my shot - I aim a little right; easy! And yes, the shots don't go exactly the same distance if you do the same thing - how do you think real golfers fare??

It looks good (the rare overlap is there, but so very brief), it's very entertaining (yes the commentary is sometimes at odds, but usually it's a banter thing between the 2 commentators), and it's only hard to read on a very small TV set. The player generator is very detailed, sometimes things only spotted in a camera fly-by.

The only cons I have are these:

Firstly, the desert classic shouldn't be first up in the season. Your beginner golfer will rarely have the oomph to get the ball to the fairway, and the sand is much rougher than bunker sand. I had a 41 over par and a 30 over for my first rounds, very demoralizing. Play Team Tour, RTE calendar, and other little events to build your power skills first.

The other problem is wind direction. I have to make a little allowance right, for my driving thumb, so wind is an extra factor - but it is very frustrating when the ball goes in the opposite direction (often into water or undergrowth).

Oh, and one tip. Don't expect the ideal putting line to give you a hole every time; it's a guide, not a 'do-this-and-you'll-score-every-time'. Play a little inside the line. Experience will teach you how much. Then you'll be getting 18 under in a round like I just did!!

Good luck.

Trainz Railway Simulator: Ultimate Collection (PC CD)
Trainz Railway Simulator: Ultimate Collection (PC CD)
Offered by GX-ENTERTAINMENT UK ***Order before 20th December for UK Christmas delivery***

4.0 out of 5 stars Well.., 5 Oct 2006
The trains and trackside stuff are very pretty, but the scenery is quite blocky and could have been better detailed (mountains don't just stick up like deformed pyramids) especially with modern pc's (and given the graphic options available even more so).

It's well supported online, with thousands of downloadable extras (loco's, rolling stock, scenery, control commands, etc) from the hundreds of fans on the trainz forum alone, not including the independent sites that have formed to show the enthusiasm of it's fan base.

Your couple of quid (just look up to see how cheap it is!) could easily be worse spent. A full price program would only have netted 3 stars.

ProStroke Golf: World Tour 2007 (PS2)
ProStroke Golf: World Tour 2007 (PS2)
Offered by multimedia-online

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but..., 18 Sep 2006
It's very nice to look at; although, given the lack of (any) crowd detail (the disembodied cheering is just odd!), the characters could be a little more mobile and emotive - the odd frown, a punch of 'in-the-hole' celebration.

The controls are clever, giving you a lot of control over the shape of the ball's path in the air, but the caddie is just awful - don't trust the percentages for power on your shot. Some shots suggested as 84% to the hole don't reach at 100% power, others suggested at 99% overrun by 20 feet (or more) at only 80% power.

Rent it first - I'm enjoying playing it, but I may get Tiger as well for complete golfing satisfaction.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3