Profile for Mary Lunn > Reviews

Content by Mary Lunn

Mary Lunn

Page: 1 | 2
No Cause for Concern (Marcus Corvinus Book 13)
No Cause for Concern (Marcus Corvinus Book 13)
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars No Cause for Concern, 26 Mar 2013
I found this book entertaining and easy to read, but I think the hero's habit of addressing people as "pal" made me think the story had moved to Glasgow. Otherwise I'll read more of his books.

Kindle Fire HD For Dummies
Kindle Fire HD For Dummies
Price: 9.88

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire for Dummies, 7 Mar 2013
Not very helpful and boring. I would have preferred a different format on the lines of:

1. Do this
2. Do that

and not so much talk between. I am not a technical person so maybe that I need things simplified.

The Jewels of Paradise
The Jewels of Paradise
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Jewels of Paradise, 7 Mar 2013
I was disappointed that it did not somehow come up to the standard of her other books, and I am a great fan of
Donna Leon, but i look forward to her new book. She draws such interesting and believable characters who come alive under her writing.

Angel of Skye (Macpherson Brothers Book 1)
Angel of Skye (Macpherson Brothers Book 1)
Price: 2.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Angel of Skye, 7 Mar 2013
Good story telling and lots of pace, but I wish the two gentlemen concerned would remember that you wear a brooch but you might broach a wall or an entry. At that time too it wasn't an engagement, but a betrothal. This is not a major flaw but not in period.

The Complete Call the Midwife Stories: True Stories of the East End in the 1950s
Price: 7.47

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Call The Midwife Stories, 6 Feb 2013
I found this edition,mostly, very readable and interesting. Perhaps someone not of a medical or nursing background would be more interested in some of the medical terms (and Latin ones) which could perhaps be explained on the same page as that where they appear. It is quite difficult hopping backwards and forwards when you are reading on Kindle. By the way, what happened to the page numbers we were promised? However, I did find the book engrossing and informative too. We do forget our fairly recent past at our peril.

Mrs. Worth depicted her characters in a way that made them almost walk off the page so vivid is her description,highlighting the living conditions and poverty under which most working class people struggled to survive and raise their families, whilst trying to keep their self respect. I think this book is not only entertaining, but also a valuable record of recent history. These memories should not be lost, but preserved for future generations.

The Garden of Evening Mists
The Garden of Evening Mists

5.0 out of 5 stars The Garden of Evening Mists, 8 Dec 2012
I haven't read anything quite like this before and when I opened it I wasn't sure if it was quite the book for me. However, I soon
formed a completely different reaction after a few pages and became intrigued by the character of Yun Ling, a Chinese woman living in Malaya after the war with Japan. Slowly, Yun Ling's experiences and their impact on her are revealed. She describes these but doesn't dwell on them, keeping the plot moving. Her reaction to Aritomo, the Japanese gardener, is not at all comfortable but slowly this changes as they work together on the garden she has asked him to create. It is sounds strange but honestly I have become riveted to this book. I am almost at the end and I feel I cannot wait to see how it does so.

It is a thoughtful and intelligent reflection on life in the East after the last war. It isn't gloomy but is well worth reading.

The Girl of His Dreams: (Brunetti 17)
The Girl of His Dreams: (Brunetti 17)
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Girl of his dreams, 8 Dec 2012
Donna Leon's name alone makes me eager to read one of her novels. I particularly enjoy Brunetti and his family who lend a very comfortable and attractive background to her stories. Donna Leon, however, is not afraid to tackle the politcal and social issues of Europe today, including immigration, as in this book. Here she shows great sensitivity and understanding of this problem - from both points of view - whilst managing to lead us into the plot and so engaging our attention on this level. The discovery of a drowned young girl is shocking, but I know Comissario Br;unetti will sort everything out - essential!

For me, Ms. Leon cannot put a foot, or pen, wrong. To see her name under a book title is enough for me to want to read it in the knowledge that It will be thought provoking and thoroughly enjoyable. I' d give her six stars if I could.

Feed Me!: A Simon's Cat Book (Simons Cat)
Feed Me!: A Simon's Cat Book (Simons Cat)
Price: 3.08

3.0 out of 5 stars Simon's Cat, 8 Dec 2012
Amusing, especially to a cat owner, but a little repetitive, and I'd prefer slightly better drawing. Sometimes a little difficult to
understand;

The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy 3)
The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy 3)
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting finish to his Lewis Tril, 8 Dec 2012
A fitting finish to his Lewis Trilogy, in which Peter May narrates the ending (?) of his protagonist's personal story as it evolves around the mayhem and murder of his friend. Mr. May always manages to tell his story at at a seemingly gentle (Highland) pace whilst he steadily forges ahead. I love the background to his trilogy, being a Scot, as he manages to be informative and interesting. I plan to read more of his books.

Amazon Kindle Keyboard Lighted Leather Cover, Burgundy Red (only fits Kindle Keyboard)

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle lighted leather cover, 1 Mar 2011
Kindle Lighted leather cover

The cover is strong, attractive, and the light is a necessity for use in the dark.
My only negative problem would be the weight. I had expected it to be lighter.
Perhaps I would have chosen one made of a different material if I had known.
However, I will certainly continue to keep my Kindle secure in the case, even
at home. We live with a cat!!!

Page: 1 | 2