Profile for JayBe Wales > Reviews

JayBe Wales

Page: 1 | 2
Burial of Ghosts
Burial of Ghosts

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice east read but a disappointment after enjoying other Ann ..., 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Burial of Ghosts (Kindle Edition)
A nice east read but a disappointment after enjoying other Ann Cleeves novels so much. The main character although likeable enough had SO many issues it was unreal and irritating.
One of the things that attracted me to it was the reference in the blurb to Marrakech and indeed that's all it was ,could have been anywhere and certainly never benefitted by using that location or even describing the vibrancy of it well.
During parts I was bored. It gave me the tangled web but never the less somehow failed me. I will however look forward to the few Shetland novels I have missed.

The Farm
The Farm

5.0 out of 5 stars oh how I love the Summer holidays, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Farm (Kindle Edition)
A while since I gave finished a book in a day, oh how I love the Summer holidays!
The book was a thriller with a difference that kept me reading and reading. Cleverly written as I kept changing my mind about the credibility of some characters and indeed how it would end.
I loved the setting and the links with London ,also the essential link with childhood which I did not get for a while.
A book I would highly recommend as indeed it came to me.

The End of Mr Y
The End of Mr Y

2.0 out of 5 stars Different, 17 July 2014
This review is from: The End of Mr Y (Kindle Edition)
Well! One word - different, not really for me. Felt like a strenuous read. Scientific bits bored me rigid so inevitably I scan read much of that. Quantum Science- What? Felt a little like reading a work document. Actually reached end of some pages and then thought " What have I just read?"
Whole thing felt a bit like a computer game, but did like concept of Troposphere. Some nice vivid descriptions. Initially liked main character Aerial but rapidly went off her. Persevered and did like ending but overall wish I had not bothered.

1970s Childhood: From Glam Rock to Happy Days
1970s Childhood: From Glam Rock to Happy Days

4.0 out of 5 stars Total Nostalgia,, 17 July 2014
If you remember the Seventies as I do it is a must. A trip of nostalgia down memory lane. A reminder of many things I had forgotten about from music to adverts and clothes to games. I loved to and found myself reading much of it out loud to anybody who would reminisce with me.
My only criticism would be that it was too male oriented. What happened to Tressy and Cindy dolls? Magazines like Jackie, girls grammar schools and so much more? I know it was his memories but would not have taken much to research, interview and include more girl things.

48 Hours: A City of London Thriller
48 Hours: A City of London Thriller

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the road., 22 May 2014
The title attracted me as I thought it would have to be exciting and fast moving to be complete in 48 hours. It was not over exciting and was I fact not over in 48 hours.
It began differently and promisingly with a threatening text. It felt real and dodgy. I liked the villain in this as again he was original in style and character. I felt however about half way through it became boring and not a pleasure to pick up and read.. The romance with the bodyguard was predictable and inevitable to the point where I cringed.
I feel it would probably make a better film than read which is pretty rare.
Overall a middle of the road book that I will quickly forget.

The Art of Racing in the Rain
The Art of Racing in the Rain

4.0 out of 5 stars Something different., 24 April 2014
A suggested read that turned out worthwhile. The animal being able to think like a human a great idea. Language used to describe his thoughts and events in the book was good. Talk of other animals and reference to the crows amusing and informative.
A book that was both sad and funny throughout, but these contrasting emotions worked. Tears and laughter. You HAD to love Enzo the main character who wrote this in the first person as a dog, making many profound statements.
The story theme, family disaster made sense but initially waiting for the death of Eve took over all else. I personally also struggled with the constant reference to racing which I particularly dislike. It was clear however that accurate research had been completed especially into formula 1 to make this happen.
Other characters were good, strong daughter and "the twins".
The end I felt was excellent. We all want something after death. I believed in Enzo, felt his death and return. I would not hesitate to recommend this novel to many and look forward to book club comments to come next month.

Berlitz: Marrakesh Pocket Guide (Berlitz Pocket Guides)
Berlitz: Marrakesh Pocket Guide (Berlitz Pocket Guides)

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 1 Sep 2013
Perfect size for carrying around. Just enough information for anybody taking a short break in this amazing city. Also handy additional info on possible trips out of town. I did however find the trip into the mountains harder than the book's description despite being used to walking-still very enjoyable though!

White Bones (Katie Maguire 1)
White Bones (Katie Maguire 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable., 17 Aug 2013
Quite a gruesome book. No details spared in murder descriptions but well written. Nice links with pagan and Druid beliefs. Really liked strong leading female detective. Loved setting, the inclusion of snippets of humour and twist at end? Will try another in series.

Wrecking Ball
Wrecking Ball
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Good mix, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Wrecking Ball (Audio CD)
An excellent album purchased after seeing him live on this tour. An excellent mix of rock and more gentle music. Good combination.

Summer of '76
Summer of '76

4.0 out of 5 stars Brimming with nostalgia, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Summer of '76 (Kindle Edition)
A nice light Summer read. Full of nostalgia for me from food to clothes to music. Great collection of characters with just about sufficient plot.The only downside was the fact that it was written in the present tense.

Page: 1 | 2