Profile for Mr. R. Pennystan > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Pennystan

Mr. R. Pennystan "RichardP" (Romiley, Cheshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Dr. Meter® Wood Moisture Meter MD-812 Digital LCD Display - To Measure the Percentage of Water in Given Substance
Offered by Elecsmart

1.0 out of 5 stars Major flaws, 9 Dec. 2015
Was given one, enjoyed playing with it for a bit. But same problems as other reviewers.
The probes struggle to get into harder (drier) woods deeper than 3mm, Initially the probes bent so less sharp and less depth possible, then the plastic casing broken when I pushed a bit harder, rendering it useless.
Surface of wood has a very different moisture level than internally if the wood has been stored outside, so with shallow probes 1 log could have 3 very different readings. (one each end & one in the middle)
The battery drains, no auto-off function and the 'on' button such that it can be turned on if anything touches the item, I went through about 3x9v batteries (pricey ones) in about a month. Had to disconnect battery and reconnect each time I wanted to use it. I won't buy another one & am looking for a better alternative.

Job (Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom & Psalms)
Job (Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom & Psalms)
by Dr Tremper, III Longman

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional work, should be the definitive work on the text., 28 July 2015
An exceptional commentary, I rarely read a commentary cover to cover, but I did an extended study of Job and found this to be my daily companion first thing each morning. Temper Longman's understanding of the text is excellent, his wrestling with the themes shows real depth and his explanation of them opens up this challenging book in a very refreshing and accessible way. I found his short essays at the end of each section particularly valuable and his explanation of 'retribution theology' and it's place in the story transformed my reading of Job.
I preached a sermon series on Job, hugely indebted to this commentary and if anyone were to ask me for a recommendation of one commentary on Job, this would certainly be it, without a moment's hesitation.

The Pencil
The Pencil
by Allan Ahlberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to read & re-read it & I was delighted to., 28 July 2015
This review is from: The Pencil (Paperback)
A beautiful book, the illustrations are lovely and there's a gentle wittiness about it. Above all it has a bit more depth than many children's books. We took it on holiday and my 5yr old demanded it every night for the week, usually when he gets focussed on a book I try & persuade him onto another one, not with The Pencil, I enjoyed bedtime story day after day.

The Theory of Everything
The Theory of Everything
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, powerful and one of the great acting performances of our time., 28 July 2015
We really enjoyed this film and Eddie Redmayne's performance thoroughly deserves it's Oscar, one of the most compellingly brilliant pieces of acting I have ever witnessed.

Reignite: Seeing God Rekindle Life and Purpose in Your Church
Reignite: Seeing God Rekindle Life and Purpose in Your Church
by Ian Parkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars A real practitioner full of heavenly wisdom for church renewal., 28 July 2015
If you long to see churches renewed, leaders empowered, communities transformed and Jesus glorified in your local area, then I highly commend this practical and heavenly manual to you. This book offers so much of great value to the urgent work of renewing the church in our land and is an excellent resource for those seeking to see healthy growth and life in their local church. Ian's great skill as a writer and a leader is an engaging connection between heavenly wisdom and real faith to see God move, with down to earth practical honesty forged in the challenges of the North of England, these two are rooted in his love for and deep reading of the Bible. I would recommend clergy and lay leaders read this book and I'd encourage leadership teams to read and discuss it together. I found the stories encouraging not intimidating (unlike some paperbacks), there is a real authenticity and clarity about the way Ian writes and leads. There is a depth of study and thinking behind the book, but it's not inaccessibly academic. As a church leader I've found it has kickstarted my summer reflections on where God is leading our church and personally refreshed and stirred me. For those who long to see the church renewed, this book is essential reading.

The Introvert Charismatic: The Gift of Introversion in a Noisy Church
The Introvert Charismatic: The Gift of Introversion in a Noisy Church
by Mark Tanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Convincing, important and accessible., 16 Jun. 2015
I was intrigued when I first heard about this book and something of the conversations and vision which birthed it. The book clearly answers it's core questions:
A. How can introverts find a home within the charismatic movement?
B. How can the charismatic movement benefit by hearing the voice of introverts.
As someone who cares deeply about the charismatic movement and longs for us to have a theological depth and broader unity and maturity, I am very excited by what this book offers. The author answers both questions clearly and constructively, not to pull down but build up.
As someone who was already convinced by the book's core argument about introverts, I found some gems along the way which were very interesting and valuable for all Christians. This was one of the clearest and most balanced and constructive explorations of charismatic theology and history that I have come across. Mark is convincing that the charismatic movement is built on very solid biblical ground and should be normal for Christians. Secondly, his review of charismatic experiences, glitches, mistakes and discoveries from God through church history was brilliantly illuminating, clear and accessible. I recommend anyone with a desire to experience more of the Holy Spirit and see the church broaden in accepting one another (I hope that's all!) to read this and embrace Mark's key message.

Proverbs (Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom & Psalms)
Proverbs (Baker Commentary on the Old Testament Wisdom & Psalms)
by Tremper Longman

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've found, 25 Mar. 2015
Very readable, very helpful on the text, some excellently wise theological reflections and the intro is an invaluable place to start in Proverbs. I particularly liked the way this focusses on Proverbs as 'parental advice', that hermeneutic (applied both literally and also to God as our Father speaking to us His sons and daughters) has really helped me access the text.

Proverbs: Wisdom from Above (Passion Translation) (The Passion Translation)
Proverbs: Wisdom from Above (Passion Translation) (The Passion Translation)
by Brian Simmons

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and readable to accompany an accurate translation., 25 Mar. 2015
Very readable and I love the apostolic kingdom values which underpin this 'translation', the language used is very readable and resonates with my spirituality.
I'm working on Proverbs a lot at the moment and so tend to read the chapter daily alongside the ESV & Tremper Longman III's commentary.
For the writing I'm doing on Proverbs, I often use the tPt language to communicate in blogs and sermons.
tPt is lovely to read devotionally, but not a reliable source of theology without checking back to a more accurate translation of the Hebrew.

Zoom H2n Portable Recorder in Black with SD Card 2 GB
Zoom H2n Portable Recorder in Black with SD Card 2 GB

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but being able to pause easily would improve, 25 Mar. 2015
Its a really good recorder, fairly easy to use, good recording quality.
One major drawback which meant I considered replacing it was that I couldn't easily work out the pause feature!

I do a lot of speaking/training and often give spaces for the participants to break into sub-groups for discussion and then feedback, without the pause option, this means either having large gaps to edit out later, or lots of short recordings. (I don't have the editing skills or time to do that post-production work before distributing the recordings.)

[Thankfully a colleague has now shown me how to pause, so I have upgraded my review]

Benefit of the Doubt: Breaking The Idol Of Certainty
Benefit of the Doubt: Breaking The Idol Of Certainty
by Gregory A. Boyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest, deep & more about faith than doubt., 30 Oct. 2013
I finished the final chapter put the book down & my immediate reaction was to praise Jesus and tell him that I love him, trust him and would love help from his Spirit with the many questions this book raised for me. This is a book that helped me to connect more deeply in relationship with God and that makes it very worthwhile.
I regularly read Greg Boyd's books & listen to his podcasts, I have found him to be one of the most profoundly influential theologians for me in recent years. When he initially taught the principles of this book in a sermon series the central premise stirred & excited me. Reading the book was a journey for me for my head and my heart.
Head first. The honest question I confess I asked through reading this was 'does reading this make me a liberal?' and of course the answer is 'no', on two levels. First we don't have to agree with everything we read, (especially useful in the post-modern world) we need to engage with it. Secondly, I don't believe where Greg lands his conclusions here is a liberal position. I say that to say this, throw away the word 'liberal' in association with this book, its a destructive label and barrier and the fear of that label (for evangelicals) could rob the reader from being fed by the truth in the book.
Heart; I found a lot here that was releasing and inspiring, Greg's honesty about his life and marriage, his willingness to recognise the reality of questions about the historicity of scripture, and most of all the clear example of someone who knows and loves and trusts God and is preoccupied with Jesus not abstract truth.
There is some really really significant theological wisdom here, the clear teaching of covenant not contract puts into language something I have felt for a while and been asking God for language to describe. The clear pointers to Jesus and above all Jesus' agape love on the cross as the cornerstone of God's revelation of his character is really significant too.
So why only 4 stars? The two reasons I didn't give this book 5stars are;
a. I don't think the marketing on the cover is full representative of the contents. The marketing focusses on the freedom to doubt, that's valid and a healthy message for those who have found the 'house of cards' of fundamentalism collapsing intellectually has left them bereft of faith, but I didn't find this to be a book about doubt, instead its a book about being rooted in Jesus rather than being right.
b. A truly outstanding book will have an essential central premise, or possibly two. This book's weakness is that perhaps it tries to hit too many targets, he's attempting to say 3 or 4 main things, that faith is in Jesus not the Bible, that its ok to doubt and question (Greg argues its biblical to do so), that certainty is an idol, that faith is covenantal not contractual.
Having said that, this is a profound book with a significant message, its for thinking Christians without being purely intellectual. It takes some chewing and thinking and above all I encourage you to read it and read it prayerfully, fixing your eyes on Jesus.

Page: 1 | 2