Profile for Mr. D. Wilson > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. Wilson

Mr. D. Wilson "Dave Wilson" (England. UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
First4Spares Filter For Earlex Vacuum Cleaners
First4Spares Filter For Earlex Vacuum Cleaners
Offered by SPARES-2-GO
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near the quality of the origional., 27 Jan 2014
I was vacuuming up feathers at the time from a burst pillow. The Earlex started shooting feather out of the blow port. I had to strip the Earlex down completely and remove all the feathers from around the motor. The cause was the filter had torn and come undone allowing everything I vacuumed up, straight into the motor.

It may seem a bargain, but the quality is nothing compared to the branded product and you may end up ruining your vacuum. But the proper one from Earlex. Yes its dear, but it will last much longer and help keep your vacuum running safely.

Freelogix Universal Aluminium Flight Camera Microphone Case + Foam Inserts
Freelogix Universal Aluminium Flight Camera Microphone Case + Foam Inserts
Offered by Hot UK Stuff
Price: 24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Check Dimensions carefully. not very deep!, 18 Jan 2014
The case is very well built and nice looking. The interior is both lined with rubber and filled with pluck and pull foam, making customising a breeze. I used it for my Cannon EOS 1100D with two lenses and battery charger. All fit in fine (just about). However, I use a quick release shoe for my tripod. This is permanently screwed onto the bottom of my camera. As it only just fits in the case (height wise), this means that with the tripod shoe I cannot close the lid.

So whilst its a nice case, you do need to plan carefully how you want your equipment to sit and measure the height. The info above gives the external dimensions but remember you need to account for the foam lid, so the actual usable height in the case will be less.

Braun Series 3 340s-4 Wet & Dry Electric Shaver
Braun Series 3 340s-4 Wet & Dry Electric Shaver
Offered by Zafash Pharmacy
Price: 64.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality. A comfortable shave for a sensitive face., 10 Jan 2014
My skin is very sensitive. All my life I have stayed away from electric shavers, believing them to be far inferior to a blade. However shaving with a blade daily, eventually got the point of agony. So I decided to take the plunge and try an electric shaver. I chose this one due to good feedback, good features (charge times) and price. This was the one I chose.

Firstly the charge is highly impressive. I typically shave on alternate days and only need to charge it on a weekly basis. If it ever does go flat, just half an hour is enough. The side trimmer is very useful for under arms, (or anywhere else you may need to trim). The unit is effective and safe. Being easy to grip and comfortable to use.

The result? Well, I do maintain that you will never get as close as a blade, due to the foils. However, it can and does produce a perfectly smooth finish. You'd struggle to feel any difference. The main thing is "comfort". There is no scraping, or cutting. For myself I used to find my chin would often get cut. With the electric I can shave away in all directions leaving a perfectly smooth chin, with no cuts and no pain. My top lip was always very sore with a razor, again the electric creates an instant smooth shave with no nicks or cutting my nose. If you have the odd spot, the electric won't slice the top off.
The convenience of shaving dry means that you can be wearing a suit and still l have a quick tidy up in a few seconds. No need to get undressed and start running the hot water. So great for business, travel, or overnight stays.

In the first year of owning this, I think I've only had three wet shaves (when the stubble had been left for a few days and was too long). So I am a definite convert.

The Secrets of the Freemasons
The Secrets of the Freemasons
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting history. and acurate overview., 10 Jan 2014
I have just downloaded and started reading "the secrets of the Freemasons" I am about a third through and have just finished the section on the ceremonies and handshakes. As a master mason myself, I can confirm that the book thus far is quite accurate to what I have experienced. Although the book makes reference to some passwords and grips, I can confirm that it does not reveal the true password and grips of a master mason. What the book does is explain where these things originate from and the meaning behind them. The section on the history and origins is very fascinating (and fits my own understanding acuratley). If you have ever wondered what its all about, this book helps to put a little bit of common sense and explanation to the many myths.

The book explains that many of the bizarre activities are simply ancient rituals and customs, all of which allude to simply being a better person. Do we really roll up our trouser legs? well, you'll have to read the book to find out.

Seagate STBV2000200 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Seagate STBV2000200 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Price: 57.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Backup those files. do it now., 12 Dec 2013
It's amazing just how many people still don’t back up their files. Thousands of photos, the kids, holidays, loves ones who have passed away. Your entire life, all sitting on your hard drive. With a precarious cup of coffee nearby and the cat climbing all over you wanting feeding. You get the picture.

Back up your files people, it’s not hard. Download a copy of sea tools, plug in this baby and make a full clone of all your machines and laptops. It’s really simple. And it’s not expensive.

Don’t leave it plugged in either, (in the same precarious place as your pc) put it back in the box and keep it safe well away from your computers, even give it to a neighbour. Then if the worst happens, fire, flood, or burglary, all your precious memories are safe and can be restored in a few hours.

You know it makes sense ….. but have you done it?

Hit buy and get on with it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2013 10:05 PM GMT

Vax U91-MA-B Air Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Vax U91-MA-B Air Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by Capital Stores
Price: 105.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dyson in disguise !, 12 Dec 2013
I wanted a new vac, but nothing too big (or too pricey). Everyone says that Dysons are good, but I really not prepared to pay hundreds of pounds for a vac.

I read that Dyson has been Suing VAX for copying his cyclone technology. So basically this IS a Dyson, just a different colour. So it’s by no means a cheap option this is a little beast of a machine and wil lift up the carpet as you vac.

Its small size makes it light and easy to use, great for the elderly, or if you have a smaller room like me. it also means it will fit in a cupboard or wardrobe out of the way.

My one criticism would be the hose. As with most like this you can detach the hose and use it handheld with a brush or nozzle. This is awkward as the hose is attached to the bottom of the Vac, so anything above carpet level is difficult. You can remove the telescopic handle and attach the hose which is better, but again due to the short hose it is awkward, and you then have no handle to move the Vax around. Vax do sell an extension hose, which may make this more simpler, but why pay more money? And also where do you put the 2nd hose for storage? It’s just a small niggle, but worth mentioning, this is a review after all.

Overall l am very impressed with its ease of use, its small size and its power. I bought it from one of the sellers (on the right) who is an official Vax reseller. I paid just 62 for it (Vax reconditioned) and at the time it is 200 in B & Q. So for the money, it’s a bargain.

ARCTIC MX-2 Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-2 Thermal Paste
Offered by Vebox Direct Computing
Price: 3.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Do check that you need it., 12 Dec 2013
I just bought a new Intel i5 with cooler. The CPU cooler already had paste applied in a precise pattern.

General opinion seems to be to apply it sparingly. The heatsink is doing the cooling, not the paste. So too much will move the heatsink further away from the cpu and be ineffective. a small 3mm ball in the centre is sufficient. You are simply filling in any tiny imperfections between the two surfaces, you're not cementing bricks.

Maxsima - LP-E10 Battery For Canon EOS 1100D, Rebel T3, Kiss X50, LPE10
Maxsima - LP-E10 Battery For Canon EOS 1100D, Rebel T3, Kiss X50, LPE10
Offered by Cameramarket UK
Price: 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, just as the origional apart from the price !, 12 Dec 2013
title says it all. why pay more. charges the same and works the same. probably even made in the same factory.

Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, ATX, Intel Z77 Express, USB 3.0, CrossFireX Support, Dual Intelligent Processors 3)
Price: 68.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Dual monitor support with no graphics card ! Great software & bios, good build quality and highly flexible., 12 Dec 2013
I wasn’t sure this would work but I plugged in two monitors direct to the boards DVI and VGA ports and it is running both monitors. Amazingly I do not even have a graphics card installed. I am using an Intel i5 with on-board graphics and it can run a 3D screensaver across both monitors. So unless you are a hard-core gamer and need a high end graphics card then this board along with an Intel CPU (with onboard graphics) will provide all the graphics power you need.

The accompanying CD contains all the drivers you need as well as a host of utilities to monitor and configure the board. To be honest, I just plugged in my HD, CPU and ram and installed windows. Everything running perfect. So no real need to tweak if you don't want to. The BIOS is a work of art, full colour with mouse control just like a windows application, gone are the days of 4 colour DOS style. Graphs and dials show you the board’s settings. Great for you over clockers. But again for me, I just left it, everything works fine just out of the box.

The board features a few LED's which give a reassuring flash when it tests the memory, it also shows you power is to the board. It will accommodate anything from an i3 to an i7 and also supports chips with built in graphics. So saves you money, if you don’t need the graphics card.

The board also supports some new features such as the new "high speed" sata and also USB 3. It also supports raid, and SSD drives.

So you are going to get a few years out of this as you slowly change to the faster sata and usb3, perhaps add a raid, and upgrade the CPU. You are going to get you’re money’s worth.

Great software & bios, good build quality and highly flexible. look no further.

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black
Price: 66.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Matched pair with heatsinks & a name to trust., 12 Dec 2013
Well, the title says it all. A matched pair, for the best possible performance and heat sinks. Corsair is a quality brand to trust. So for quality, price and functionality you really cant go wrong.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7