Profile for Tom > Reviews

Tom

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bargain!, 19 Oct. 2014
Given the cost of the item, which is a fraction of that charged by the "designer" brands like Manfrotto for a tool that does the same job, this is a great piece of kit. There's a little bit of play in the mechanism when turning the focusing knobs from one direction to another in both axis, but it's minimal and I forgot about the issue when using it. The controls are pretty smooth in use and the locking screws can easily be adjusted so that they stop any rail creep but still allow for focus point changes.

The only down side I found is that the unit is pretty heavy. With my macro lens on camera, which is also quite a heavy combination, I found that the head I was using wasn't comfortable supporting the additional weight of the rail system if the focus rail was extended too far. That was only a minor niggle though. The trick is to set the camera up in the first instance with the rail adjusted so the camera is balanced on the tripod and close to the focus point before you start using the rail to achieve focus accuracy.

If you're after micro-precision focus accuracy there are alternatives out there; check out the Hejnar range of kit as an example. You'll be looking to ad an extra '0' to the end of the price tag for a basic item, however. For the price of this four-way rail, which offers a degree of focus accuracy that is way beyond what I need, this product is extremely good value for money.

In summary then, an extraordinarily useful bit of kit and for the price, a bargain.
Comment Comment | Permalink

SunFounder Uno R3 Case Enclosure New Transparent Gloss Acrylic Computer Box Compatible with Arduino UNO R3
Offered by SunFounder

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, 12 Jun. 2014
This is a superbly engineered and beautiful enclosure for the Arduino Uno.There are a fair number of very average looking cases out there, most of which are quite unimpressive to look at. This Sunfounder product is functional, allowing shields to be used as required and offers great protection to the Uno.

If Sunfounder read this then well done. I'll certainly be looking to buy another of these cases if I need another Arduino in the future. A suggestion: Rubber feet just to lift the screws off the surface of whatever the case is resting on would make this perfect! It's certainly the best enclosure I've found for the Uno, by a long shot even without them though. Highly recommended.

Arduino and Breadboard Baseplate
Arduino and Breadboard Baseplate

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but how much?, 12 Jun. 2014
Not a bad product. Exactly to description and now that I'm using it, an invaluable aid to prototyping.

I think nearly £11 (purchase cost and postage) for a bit of plastic is very expensiver frankly, but there arn't any good alternatives I could find elsewhere. I bought a similar product for my Raspberry-Pi that is twice the size and includes a top plate for the 'Pi for only a few pennies more then this single board.

Price issues asside, the baseplate is of good quality and I had no problems assembeling the Arduino Uno and a breadboard I bought elsewhere on to the unit. Put to market at a sensible price, this baseplate would have got a 5 star rating.

Spiratronics Potting Compound Twin Pack 50g
Spiratronics Potting Compound Twin Pack 50g

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 12 Jun. 2014
As potting compound goes, this is good stuff. It's easy to mix and cures well. Like all resins, it takes a while to cure properly, but it's as fast as others I've used.

Don't be fooled by the description, as I was. There is in only one sachet of potting compound per package. The blurb refers to Twin Pack, which I took to mean two packs. In fact the definition of Twin Pack in this case, is (from the data sheet) "Twinpacks are pre-weighed resin and hardener components contained in a tough flexible film, separated by a removable clip and rail."

My misunderstanding; i've used this packagng before, just not known it was refered to as a Twin Pack before. This is, however, a great way to buy this product so you get the perfect mix of resin and hardener. Having mixed the contents snipping a corner off the sachet makes for easy use too. Mixing this stuff from seperate containers can get messy and it's a chore to clean off, so this package makes use of the product wonderfully hassle free.

Asside from the description of the product then, which I think could be made a little clearer, this is a great product that I have no problem recommending. Spiratronics offer it at a good price and delivered very quickly in very good packaging.

DEOK 12V Digital Car Auto Clock Thermometer Sensor Volmeter Blue LED 3in1 Meter
DEOK 12V Digital Car Auto Clock Thermometer Sensor Volmeter Blue LED 3in1 Meter
Offered by DEOK

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, 10 April 2014
Does exactly what it states in the blurb as far as I can see, for the money I think this is a great little gadget. The device is easy to use, easy to read and comes with a good lead length on the sensor.

The sensor itself is embedded in an aluminium sleeve, so it's not 'fast'. Heating up or cooling down the sensor block to it's nominal temperature takes a little while. It would be of limited use in an environment where temperatures are going to change quickly from one state to another. For something like an aquarium tank, which is why I bought it, or measuring any temperatures which don't fluctuate quickly, then this sensor probe is ideal.

Why four stars instead of five? There's a some mounting holes in the switch control circuit board, but to mount this to a project case I'm going to need to find screws and spacers to fit it properly. I would quite happily pay an extra few pennies to have these items included.

Aside from this minor niggle however, I'm impressed with the kit.

Corsair 120mm Hydro Series H80i Digital High Performance Rad All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Corsair, 22 Jan. 2014
Spent a very enjoyable morning last Saturday installing the H80i. The biggest chore was removing the old heat-sink, which was very securely fastened. Having removed the old unit, it took a little time to clean up too. The old heat-sink was applied with a tad too much thermal paste, which had spread all over the CPU and the surrounding bracket. Some methylated spirits and judicious mopping up with kitchen towel sorted that out.

The back pane installation was a little tricky, but only because the fit is very precise. It's a simple plate but very effective. Having installed this the rest of the construction was very straight forward.

Once installed, the improvement in cooling was immediately noticeable. Using a combination of Core Temp monitoring software and Heavy Load stress testing software from Jam-Software, I can see a 10 degC decrease in the CPU core temperature at idle, and a better then 20 degC at full load. I've overclocked an i7 2700K to 4.5GHz and it's now running at a very even 61 degC at full load.

The one star loss is for the Corsair Link software, which offers some interesting temperature profiling possibilities, but with a huge graphic of a computer case, which is largely irrelevant as I don't have a Corsair case. A version of the software that only shows the relevant data without the silly graphics would be better.

Overall though, the product itself is a very impressive cooler, it's easy to install and even at full speed doesn't create an intrusive amount of noise. It's very pretty too.

OtterBox Commuter Series Case for HTC One X - Glacier
OtterBox Commuter Series Case for HTC One X - Glacier
Offered by DeviceFun

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cover, 8 Oct. 2013
Excellent cover for my phone.Had an older version of this that's about two years old, and the rubber armour was getting a bit saggy. It was a brilliant design though, so I stuck with the OtterBox brand, and I'm so glad I did. The fit on the phone is excellent, and the rubber surround has been hardened. That makes it a little more difficult to get on the phone in the first place, but it's a much better fit as a result. Heavy enough to take the abuse my phone gets, but not too bulky either. Great compromise between rugged and practical.

Guilty Gadgets ® - 1m 1 Metre HDMI to HDMI Cable Wire Lead Connector 1.4v 1.4 Version High Speed With Ethernet Gold Connectors Cable for All Brands including Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, JVC, LG, Sharp, Plasma, LED, LCD, TV, HD, TV's, Xbox 360, PS3, SKY Digital, HDTV, Blu-Ray DVD Player, Philips, HMP2000, Apple TV, Virgin Tivo, Freesat, Freeview Box, Playstation 3
Offered by Guilty Gadgets

Samsung Notebook Style Flip Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Chrome/Blue
Samsung Notebook Style Flip Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Chrome/Blue
Offered by Hale Communications

2.0 out of 5 stars Samsug quality check?, 8 Oct. 2013
Got the cover, fitted the cover, the A in Samsung fell of the cover. In that order, and in about the same length of time it takes to read the review! Cheaply made poor quality cover.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Silver
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Silver of Sexyness, 27 July 2013
This is the third pair of Sennheiser CX300's I've had, the second CX300 mk II's. I recently trod on my current favourite earphones (DOH!) and I wanted a cheap alternative while I saved up for replacements.

The CX300II is a lightweight, no fuss in-ear phone, supplied with three soft silicon ear beads that fit securely over the flanges built in to the body of the phones themselves. They're easy to get on and off, but one they're on, I've never had a problem with them falling off, even with the fairly rough treatment I give these.

The sound quality is not up to the reference phones I usually use, but for around £30, I find these to be clear at the top end, gentle on the soul in the middle, and with plenty of bass down below. The bass sounds a little boom boom to me at first, but then again, what I'm comparing them with costs over 5 times as much. The bass is warm and packs a fair punch.

They're also capable of loud. One thing about my reference phones that is a little annoying is that they have very high impedance characteristics, and getting them loud isn't possible using my iPod. Probably saves my ears, which is an up-side. There's no such issue with these though.

Other cheaper phones, and a few not so cheap ones, I've tried offer tinny sound characteristics, very poor quality build, and don't last before breaking. The CX300's have all been of good sound quality for the price, build quality is good, and I've either lost them, had them 'borrowed' on a permanent basis (grrrrr) or pinched (bigger grrrrrr!). I've never broken them, or had any issues with reliability.

One thing I noticed about this recent pair is that Sennheiser have changed the leads. The last pair I had were equipped with leads that had a very high silicon content. That made them very soft and less prone to knotting. These ones have come with leads that are far less flexible, and I've already had issues with untangling them. It's not a huge problem; just be careful when you put them away, but that's where the star-loss comes from.

With the issue of the not-so-special leads asside though, I like the quality, the fit, and the sound of these phones. For anyone looking to upgrade from the standard in-ear rubbish that most devices get shipped with, I've no hesitation in recommending these as a possible alternative for not too high an outlay.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4