Profile for Dane Buckley > Reviews

Content by Dane Buckley

Dane Buckley (United Kingdom)

Lazy Eye
Lazy Eye
by Donna Daley-Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read with various voices, gripping characters and cultural treasures., 5 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Lazy Eye (Paperback)
The author briefly taught at a writing class I attended, so I bought the book but didn't read it until years later. When I did, I was pulled into a world full of great characters, potent dialogue and a real story. Her style is gritty, humorous, heart-wrenching, exotic and warm. The story ends up feeling like a tale you've always known but don't remember learning.

Essentially it's a story about a family and their life, from the 1970's-present day. The same story is told from three different points of view, which is so insightful and really makes you think about the different ways we interrupt things and the different motives and reactions we have, and why people do the things we do.

They say that there are three sides to every story; his, hers and the truth. In Lazy Eye we learn about the mother of the story but from the child's, father's and sister's point of view, the latter of which is my favourite. When we see London through her eyes its often hilarious, terrifying and mystical. I really enjoyed learning about the Caribbean superstitions which run throughout the novel and the colour of the language. The themes of love, immigration and culture are handled with great skill.

When I first finished this book, I strutted up to the high-street for some Caribbean food then came home and ordered more copies of the books for friends.

Flawless [DVD]
Flawless [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good film with great characters and one-liners. Moving, funny & entertaining so win win all round., 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Flawless [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great film, although a well kept secret. Robert de Niro plays a hard nosed, bigoted ex-cop who, after a stroke, needs singing lessons and seeks the aid of Rusty, the drag queen next door. Over time the unlikely duo become friends and provide a kind solace for one another.

The film has various other story-lines i.e. gangsters looking for their drug money and drag queens in a beauty contest. The script is very good and Philip Seymour Hoffman is AMAZING as Rusty.... an Oscar worthy performance me-thinks.

The main criticism for this film has been it's stereotypes of homophobe cops and camp drag queens, but it has to be said, stereotypes come from somewhere. As I gay man, I recognised many familiarities.........and I have yet to meet a drag queen who is butch lol! This is not necessarily a gay film, just great one!

Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1
Boudica: Dreaming The Eagle: Boudica 1
by Manda Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Excellent. A real world, Celtic, Lord of the rings!, 6 Oct. 2011
This book is great, better than great. Manda Scott is a very skilled writer, through her writing you almost feel like you're there. So many people talk about this book being historically accurate or not, but they need to remember; historians know very little of the Celtic tribal world and indeed of Boudica. Through archaeology and the myths of Ireland/Britain, Manda Scott pieces together a great story.

We know Boudica existed, we know she fought Rome and sacked London and we know she was never caught, all of which takes place in these books, but history can't tell us what she ate, who she loved and what the druids dreamt of, but Manda Scott makes an educated guess in line with Celtic myth/historical findings.

Some say Boudica and Britain's ancient tribes were not Celtic, I think the fact that they spoke a Celtic language and had a Celtic belief system is enough to deem them Celtic. It would not of been a term they would have used, but then again Native Americans, Eskimos & Aborigines all have a different name for themselves.

Off my soap box and back to the book ; the battle scenes are amazing and jump of the page and the wars between Natives and Rome are thrilling and Middle Earth-like, but what really leaves a lasting impression is the incredibly moving and layered humanity of the piece and the relationships between mother and child, horse and soldier, lover and warrior and war and country.