Profile for Jim > Reviews

Content by Jim

Jim

Sony Xperia L SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Android)
Sony Xperia L SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Android)
Offered by elevenfirst

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't even THINK about getting this phone., 28 Mar. 2014
Before getting this phone I read a few reviews that suggested this was a problematic, bug ridden phone. Being an optimist, I thought 'nahh, Sony are a top household name brand, these people were obviously just unlucky, or whining for no good reason, I'm gonna get this phone, looks awesome'.

In certain respects it is awesome. Very stylish design, slick user interface, [initially] very rapid processor, absolutely beautiful large screen.

But after about a week, I started noticing it shutting off fairly close to the end of its battery life, between 10 and 20%. OK, I thought, maybe the battery is just 'bedding in' or whatever, or maybe, since I'm using it loads and downloading loads of apps, it did actually reach 0% battery but I was just too engrossed in my lovely new phone to notice.

BUT THEN I CAUGHT THE LITTLE ********** IN THE ACT. TURNING ITSELF OFF AT AROUND 20% BATTERY. I also discovered that it hates not being used for a long time. It could be at 90% battery when I fall asleep, but you better believe it'll be dead when I wake up and want to browse the BBC news app.

I intended on returning the phone, but I thought I'd do what the Sony Support forums suggested, and do a factory data reset. It worked! My phone was as quick and responsive as ever...for about another week. Old problems returned.

Another helpful little tip from the Sony Support forum staff was to 'repair' the software, which you can do via your PC. Absolutely top tip there, because now not only does my phone turn itself off randomly, but also the internet is, at best, slower than before, at worst, freezes and resets the phone. Fantastic stuff.

If you're thinking along the same lines as I was, 'oh maybe this sad sack is just unlucky', go and google 'sony experia l keeps on turning off'. Loads of different threads started on different forums, with each one full of multiple dissatisfied xperia l owners. Some even have problems that I haven't experienced, those joys are yet to come, I'm sure.

Sony haven't acknowledged that this phone is buggy, and haven't released a software upgrade that addresses the issue, which is breathtakingly poor. In my heart, I believe Sony will sort the issue out eventually. My late Grandfather swore by Sony products, and I have loved all my Playstation's. And when this issue is sorted out, I will recommend this phone wholeheartedly. Behind the bugs is a great little budget smartphone.

But until the issue is sorted out, this phone is pure trash, and I wouldn't wish it upon Hitler.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2015 8:17 PM BST

Logitech LS21 2.1 Stereo Speaker System
Logitech LS21 2.1 Stereo Speaker System

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent for the price, 24 Jun. 2011
I rated this product poorly at first, as the sub seemed to stop working. This actually appears to have been a blip, as it's been fine since. Considering the price, these speakers have actually been pretty good, and I regret the poor review I initially gave it. You could do a lot worse for 20 quid, and they've been with me in 3 different houses now, with prolonged periods of being played at full blast. Not bad little speakers!