Profile for Carl Bray > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Serial Killers Incorporated
Serial Killers Incorporated

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoosh!, 12 Dec. 2012
Wow, andy Remic the king of hi octane thrillers rockets his way through depravity and death!
Moves at breakneck speed and never let's up as the anti hero fights to become a hero and survive at the same time!
Read it now!!!

Sage
Sage

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise words, 12 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Sage (Kindle Edition)
An excellent western. I used to read the westerns of the 70's and read one called Sloan.
This reminds me of those days and that very same novel.
This is a better and more well rounded story a modern take on my old favourites.

Those In Peril (The Hector Cross Novels)
Those In Peril (The Hector Cross Novels)

3.0 out of 5 stars Old Smith, 12 Dec. 2012
I used to read the old Smith novels, those set in Africa, good old adventure novels set in a mysterious land.
Then I stopped, didn't touch his Egyptian historical stuff.
So I thought I would give this return to adventure a go.
It was ok but a bit writing by numbers for the old master.
A good story just let down a bit by stunted dialogue.
Readable.

The Expats
The Expats

4.0 out of 5 stars The spy game, 12 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
A nice slow burner with lots of twists, well written reminiscent of the old spy stories of yesteryear.
A bit of Deighton, a touch of Le Carre.
Worth a look.

The Vengeance Man
The Vengeance Man

4.0 out of 5 stars SAS Rules, 31 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Vengeance Man (Kindle Edition)
Love this stuff as good as McNab and the other writers of ex SAS men stories.
Reminded me of the TV series Spooks a little, with a vigilante thrown into the mix.
Ticked all the boxes.
Great read.

Alias the Lone Wolf
Alias the Lone Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes looking back is not worth it., 31 Oct. 2012
When I was young I loved stuff like this and all the golden oldies who chase the written word of their youth will understand this: sometimes it's better to leave memories behind and to try and recreate them only tarnishes them.
As I read this great story I realised it had dated and I had lost iris flavour somewhere in the past.
Not the books fault cos other books from the past still remain good to me as I re read them 40 years or so later.
So please give it a chance I liked it once, and so might you.

Sensei (Connor Burke Martial Arts Book 1)
Sensei (Connor Burke Martial Arts Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Dragon stamping my authority, 31 Oct. 2012
Ok I liked this book, I liked the characters and the interactions especially those moments between Burke and his Sensei. The story flowed and was a good idea. But not enough action for me not enough martial arts! I realise the subtlety of it all but I needed a bit more slam bang action as in those 70's Kung fu thrillers.
Still a very good read by an author who knows his stuff and its place today's world.

Blood & Tacos #1
Blood & Tacos #1

4.0 out of 5 stars Revenge & Kebabs, 31 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Blood & Tacos #1 (Kindle Edition)
This is another guilty pleasure. I spend so much time hunting those books I read as a teen/young man.
Stuff like the Revenger,the Executioner and all the series spin offs and copycats.
I love this stuff even though it is now dated.
This anthology took me back to those days of the anti heroes who used tit for tat methods on those who had wronged them and their loved ones.
Also who can resist a character called The Albino Wino!!!
Great stuff

Pulp Heroes - More Than Mortal
Pulp Heroes - More Than Mortal

5.0 out of 5 stars Saturdays long ago, 11 May 2012
A long time ago in a galaxy not so far away, i was a child. I was mad about Superheroes and devoured every thing i could. Comics and books, old black and white serials at the cinema in the Saturday club. One old shilling to get in and this included a ginger beer ice lolly!Lasted all afternoon.
In those days i read a lot of the pulps and its these heroes that these books invoke the spirit of. Wayne Reinagel has captured all my childhood Saturdays and put them in a series of books. Each pulp hero is someone we have read about and this he sprinkles with nostalgia and a dash of history plus a homage to the comic characters we all grew up with. I would definitely recommend this book for those with a love of high adventure, mystery and superheroes!
Bring back Saturdays! The author has!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3