Profile for David Lazzari > Reviews

Dvd ~ Marton Csokas
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 14.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Falcón - DVD, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Falcon [DVD] (DVD)
Have not read any of the books [yet] but very impressed by the two two-part and interconnected stories here.

I thought the acting was good, convincing at all times, eminently believable.

Lead Martón Csokas is very impressive as the flawed detective with the right intentions.

The other actors add to the story. I particularly liked the less familiar actors [less well known to me, that is] and the better-known ones, Bernard Hill, Robert Lindsay to name but two are impressively good as well.
Bill Patterson was convincingly loathsome.
Bloody & grisly but a very well put together couple of movies.

Highly recommended

Once Upon a Worm
Once Upon a Worm
by Roger Hargreaves

5.0 out of 5 stars Once upon a worm - Roger Hargreaves, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Once Upon a Worm (Hardcover)
Our son and daughter are in their mid-twenties.
We had this book when they were very small - pre-kindy and they always loved it.
We always got real enjoyment from reading it to them usually while they were in bed.
It's an excellent fun book to read; extremely rhythmical and amusing.
I'm certain it contributed to both kids' become early competent readers - both could read well before school started - as well as ensuring a continued enthusiasm and enjoyment of books in general.
Really worth getting hold of a copy.
Wish we had not given our copy away when the kids grew-up... :(

"I am a worm of humble means;
I live in a hole and eat baked beans.
Beans for supper and beans for tea; that's all we eat, my tail and me."

Brilliant!

Urban Sea Shanties [Explicit]
Urban Sea Shanties [Explicit]
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Urban Sea Shanties, 19 July 2013
Fred Smith [...], part-time folkie, part-time diplomat, full time brilliant songwriter has teamed up with The Spooky Men's Chorale [...] ably lead by Stephen Taberner [himself a performer and songwriter of high talent] in a collection termed "A Thinking man's drinking songs".
Some have already been released on Fred's other albums [for example, "Mr. Circle" and "Say a prayer" from "Bagarap Empires"] and all have been tried and tested in live performances. Each one is a gem in its own right. As with Fred's other songs they can be excruciatingly funny and punny or heart-breakingly poignant. The Spooks bring a real depth to the arrangements. Seen as The Chorale they're an excellent bunch of singers - Stephen Taberner knows how to get them going. They can also be both funny and sad. To be able to bring out these different emotions by voice and tunes is remarkable. Definitely an album worth buying and singing along to with an accompanying ale or two

Dancing With A Dead Man
Dancing With A Dead Man
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Calling All Cars - Dancing with a dead man, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Dancing With A Dead Man (Audio CD)
Second album from the Melbourne trio.
Over the last few years they've built an increasingly solid reputation. Melodic & rhythmic not always mainstream playlist music but a good band doesn't need to or have to be. Good live band. I saw them supporting Cog [another excellent Aussie trio] a couple of years ago and they're good on stage for a three piece.
Quality music; singing is excellent; harmonies excellent; never less than quality musicianship all through.
Really good collection of quality R'n'R.
Stand out tracks abound.In particular: Reptile; No sleep; and my favourite Dancing with a dead man.

Worth the money? Without a doubt

Dust of Uruzgan
Dust of Uruzgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Dust of Uruzgan, 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: Dust of Uruzgan (Audio CD)
The new album of poignant, funny, sad and sometimes naughty songs from part-time diplomat and Canberra boy Fred Smith accompanied by singer and double-bassist Liz Frencham and other quality performers. This latest set of songs from Fred were inspired by his 18-month posting to Afghanistan as part of the Mentoring Task Force. Like Fred's other songs they are basically simple tales of his experiences albeit with his own humour and emotions plastered on. The songs range from the somewhat risqué "Niet swaffelen.." about which I'll say no more; wink, wink, nudge, nudge. To the heart-rending "Trembling Sky" and "A Thousand splendid suns".
Fred has the skill to make the simple tunes wonderful and simple lyrics memorable. An album to make you cry, laugh and think.
An exceptional talent and a great album. If you know Eric Bogle's "and the band played Waltzing Matilda" or John Schumann's "I was only nineteen" you'll know how good this album is.
Catch a performance is you can

Bagarap Empires
Bagarap Empires
Offered by booklore
Price: 9.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Bagarup Empires, 1 July 2011
This review is from: Bagarap Empires (Audio CD)
Iain Campbell-Smith who performs and records under the name of Fred Smith is a Canberra-based singer-songwriter, sometime Australian Public Servant and troop entertainer with a couple of Afghanistan trips under his plectrum.
Bagarup Empires is a collection of songs all with Fred's thoughts about Papua New Guinea following his involvement with the peace force in PNG following the attempted secession troubles during the 80s. Without getting into the complex politics the troubles began when some of the former Panguna mine employees of Rio Tinto subsidiary company Bougainville Copper became convinced the mine was not good for PNG its people or the environment.
Fred's songs, some in Pidgin, are searingly beautiful and emotional. Fred's voice and guitar perfectly suit the simple melodies. The words explain the plight of the native peoples who were the pawns of other governments and companies and crooked local politicians. Stand-out songs in a lovely album are the achingly sorrowful 'Kusi and you', Bagarup Empires and 'When she cries'. However the album is not all sorrowful and lachrymose. There's a few laughs with 'You and me'.
A really nice album from a guy who's really worth listening to even if there are one or two references which will not mean much to non-Aussies
Bagarup is a pidgin term for something that's no longer functioning - you work it out.
Very highly recommended

Imperial Bedroom
Imperial Bedroom

5.0 out of 5 stars Imperial Bedroom - Elvis Costello and the Attractions, 19 Nov 2008
This review is from: Imperial Bedroom (Audio CD)
Elvis Costello and the Attractions had been at the top of the pop hierarchy for many years for obvious reasons and this album cemented that position. With Imperial Bedroom, Costello sealed himself in my mind as the best lyricist in popular music. The tunes aren't bad either. Combined, what's offered here is the supreme pop album.
The lyrics are of high quality; they can be tender, playful and sometime searing with emotion. They are always clever in the use of English and that type of word interplay's always appealed to me. The music covers ballads, rockers; the playing is tight and arrangements excellent. No collection would be complete without this excellent album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2011 10:33 AM BST

Grave New World
Grave New World
Price: 6.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Grave New World - The Strawbs, 11 Nov 2008
This review is from: Grave New World (Audio CD)
You could argue this is a pretentious waffle of an album but I don't. I can honestly say I'm not a big fan of the Strawbs. I have only one other album of theirs [Bursting at the seams] but Grave New World was a revelation when I first heard it when it came out. So much so that I carefully copied the Strawbs logo complete with fruit and painted it on to my bedroom wall - my dad wasn't too chuffed!
I still play this regularly, whereas BATS gets played for "Part of the Union" and not much else.
GNW's outstanding opening piece - Benedictus - has always been special for me - no particularly esoteric or theological reason other than it's a great tune with wonderful lyrics and for me sums up how you live your life. The rest of the album has some smashing songs that complement each other: some jolly and sing-along, other's thoughtful and reflective, some full of venom. I've always liked the keyboards on this album - they fit in. I was not enough of a Strawbs fan to know how they were with Wakeman instead of Blue Weaver [great name].
Like all stuff from your past it now has an accretion of memories - in this case of a mate who has long since passed away. So, as it was Terry who brought this album to my attention in the first place, I can listen to it, enjoy it and remember him [and his incredibly boring dietary habits] with fondness. For everyone else this is a really good album with which you can sit back and relax.

Lifemask
Lifemask

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifemask - Roy Harper, 11 Nov 2008
This review is from: Lifemask (Audio CD)
For over 30 years I've enjoyed Roy Harper's music. Each album different but similar. Each album containing soaring music, fabulous vocals and thought provoking lyrics - if you want to think about them.
I can still recite swathes of Lifemask - not sure what it says about me as I also used to recite sketches from Monty Python albums as well. However I've retained the words of Lifemask because they made such impression. The recitation is brilliant - as Roy's said the word "relish" should always be pronounced as he does it here. The music, once it starts, swirls and is glorious and it's always revived me. One of my very favourite RH pieces
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2011 10:28 PM BST

War Music: an account of Books 1-4 and 16-19 of Homer's Iliad
War Music: an account of Books 1-4 and 16-19 of Homer's Iliad
by Christopher Logue
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars War Music, 12 Oct 2008
I was aware of Christopher Logue long before I became aware of War Music from his contributions to Private Eye and strangely I first became aware of War Music in [I assume] a BBC radio production. I'm not sure of the date but I think it was early in '79 but I could be totally mistaken. It was not a full cast production - I think I remember only a single narrator with impressive sound effects.
It was brilliant and made a big impression so much so that I listened to it again when it was rebroadcast some time later. I've never been able to track down details of this production.

When I saw War Music in print for I immediately obtained it and I've re-read regularly since then - a period of over 25 years.
Each time it produces the same feelings that others have described. I've read various "translations" of Homer's "original" and this while never a strict translation in the usually accepted term outshines them all in it's use of language. Logue's descriptive ability is amazing. It's has been and always will be one of my very favourite books
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2010 6:14 PM BST