Profile for C. North > Reviews

Content by C. North

C. North "CCN" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Merrell Chameleon 5 Gore-Tex®, Men's Trekking and Hiking Shoes, J39921, Brown (Boulder), 9.5 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Had to choose a half-size larger, 19 Jan. 2015
Returned a UK size 9 (my usual size) which fit well side-to-side but were too short. Size 9.5 was perfect in all dimensions. Haven't taken them on the trail yet but they look good, feel well made, and are very comfortbale.

Blue Foam Roller 90cm x 15cm
Blue Foam Roller 90cm x 15cm
Offered by IrishFit

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine if you're going to lie length-wise with the roller ..., 15 Jan. 2015
Reasonable value, but too soft for my purposes. Fine if you're going to lie length-wise with the roller against your spine, but if you want to roll out still muscles / IT band, this is just too soft.

Merrell Moab Ventilator, Men's Trekking And Hiking Shoes, Brown (Earth), 9 UK (43 1/2 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Too small, but otherwise very nice, 15 Jan. 2015
I was disappointed that the size 9 was too small -- actually, too short (toe pushed against of boot), as they were otherwise very nice hiking shoes for the price.

Plenty
Plenty
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success from the Ottolenghi team, 10 May 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
My wife and I were already fanatical fans of Ottlenghi (the shop -- surely one of the world's greatest purveyor of fresh prepared salads and baked goods), and of Ottlenghi (the book), a cookbook we keep returning to for ideas. So we were delighted to see a new book from the same author/team. We've already sampled a half-dozen recipes from the new book and each one was a success. The new book is more approachable than the first, with a clean, elegant design -- and some recipes which are very straightforward in preparation lead to a transcendent result, like the Jersey Royal potato salad with pesto or the spinach pancakes. We've bookmarked the next half-dozen we want to try and will be tackling them this week!

We actually completely failed to notice that the book was a "vegetarian" book, at least in the narrow sense that it doesn't have recipes for meat. We are avowed carnivores; but the dishes are so inspiring that you might well forget meat for a meal!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2013 5:18 PM GMT

Top-Flite XL Straight Golf Balls - 15pk
Top-Flite XL Straight Golf Balls - 15pk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, good everyday golf balls, 8 May 2010
I'm a high-handicapper (high 20s) who loses enough golf balls on any challenging course to want good value. These do the trick. I don't think I sacrifice any distance (regularly drive 220-230 and I haven't noticed a real difference between these and more "premium" balls). I can't say they make my shots any straighter -- I still get more than my fair share of violent slices -- but then anyone who looks to their kit to straighten out their shots is looking in the wrong place. Just placed my 4th order for these (thank you Amazon Prime)!

KitchenAid Artisan 5KTT890BPM 4 Slice Toaster Grey
KitchenAid Artisan 5KTT890BPM 4 Slice Toaster Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, but expensive, 4 Nov. 2009
We've been going through toasters at the rate of one every 12-24 months, and I was determined to find a toaster that would last.

What we like about this toaster:
- Feels very solid
- Looks great
- Toasts 4 slices at once
- Left 2 and right 2 slots can be controlled separately -- important because my wife likes her toast cooked more than I do
- Levers allow you to lift toast out to check on doneness
- Even browning -- consistently good results (though as with any toaster, the timing needs to be adjusted to the type and freshness of the bread)

What we don't like:
- The price
- The amount of space it uses on the counter

Faringdon 300G Ceramic Pie Weights In Reusable Container
Faringdon 300G Ceramic Pie Weights In Reusable Container

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 27 Jun. 2009
Pluses: Exactly as described. Works. Inexpensive.
Minuses: Not quite as heavy as I expected (I know, I know -- 300g is 300g -- I mean each ceramic bead). Two tins worth won't be enough unless it's quite a small pie -- more like 3-4 needed to really weight down puff pastry.

I bought more ...

Faringdon Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl, 2.0 L
Faringdon Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl, 2.0 L
Offered by Harts Of Stur

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly flimsy, 22 Nov. 2008
Feels light & flimsy. Bottom of bowl flexes. You can find much better stainless steel bowls than this. 2 stars instead of 1 only because it's inexpensive and good enough for a lot of uses; but not at all satisfying for a demanding home cook.

Swift Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl, 1.0 L
Swift Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl, 1.0 L

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly flimsy, 22 Nov. 2008

Pat the Bunny: Touch n Feel (Golden Touch and Feel Book)
Pat the Bunny: Touch n Feel (Golden Touch and Feel Book)
by Dorothy Kunhardt
Edition: Plastic Comb

2.0 out of 5 stars 'Comb' edition is small and flimsy, 22 Nov. 2008
Love the book; but the 'comb' edition is very small and quite flimsy. Not a nice gift.

Page: 1 | 2