Profile for JESB > Reviews

Content by JESB

JESB "JESB" (Portsmouth UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Agora Ballroom 1978 (3cd)
Agora Ballroom 1978 (3cd)

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Man! Assist me please!, 14 Nov 2014
So, why are you reading this and not popping it in your basket? You're worried about the sound right? Have no fear, this is cool. Sure, it sounds like a radio show, everything is close miked and clear, the mix goes off on occasion (maybe the tech on the night was an organ player) but nothing too much to worry about. This is scorching, glorious stuff, Bruce and the band were real real good and around about now they get to know it, and sound like they know it.

If you came to Bruce late and have only seen the football stadium shows, this here is why we all turn up. In the (vain) hope that nights like this will be recreated. Music written and arranged for Bruce and the E street band, played by Bruce and the E street band, rough, ready, sweaty, up close and personal. Not by what looks like the cast of Le Mis on two tiny screens three quarters of a mile away where all the "redemptive power of rock and roll" dies out with the sound around the half way line.

Worthy of note is that a local US station was broadcasting 3 hours of Bruce while Rockin' Radio 1 in the 2nd year of punk was forcing The Smurf song and Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs down the nations throats!! Jesus how crap was/is radio in this country (here I will unashamedly plug the "bone conduction radio show" Google that or Thayrone x, listen and weep.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2014 3:25 PM GMT

Led Zeppelin IV [Deluxe Remastered CD]
Led Zeppelin IV [Deluxe Remastered CD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Earth Shaking, ground breaking but still a bit of a Led Down, 12 Nov 2014
Zep 4 all remastered and sounding lovely. Legend is that p*ssed off trying to nail four sticks Bonzo started the intro to rock 'n' roll and 10 minutes later they had a song. This remaster suggests bonzo was still a little nutsed off with something when it came to recording the track as it's a pretty pugilistic performance, wonderfully captured. Before that jimmy page shows what effective lead guitar playing sounds like on the outro to Black Dog, unlike his live work, here he displays an economy and lazer sighted delivery, my personal favourite of his up tempo solos.
Stairway sounds beautiful, it's funny, after all the naff cover versions and the overblown self indulgent live releases to hear the source code version dragged from her hedgerow and given a rainwater wash down. This was what all the fuss was about. Misty mountain is magnificent, this is why the french can't do rock, you have to eat meat and potatoes to knock this kind of stuff out. I could waffle on but you probably know all about this stuff.
I guess what you want to know is, is it worth shelling out for the deluxe edition? For me this is the better of the 5 so far relased by virtue of the fact that 6 of the 8 tracks are at least virtually complete (no lead guitar on black dog) and therefore of some abiding interest to me at least. Most revelatory is maybe 4 sticks which seems to have better dynamics, I maybe prefer this to the released version, the others are pretty close to the originals and you can at least play spot the difference.
My whinge is as always with these remasters why not release complete alternative versions. Mr Page is always telling us how he "keeps everything" so why not an alternative lead track on Black dog, how about a Robert Plant guide track on battle of evermore instead of an instrumental, ditto going to california. I can't comprehend that such versions don't exist, in fact I know a lot of us have heard 'em on dodgy bootlegs.
Finally the booklet. I ask again, how old does Mr Page think we all are? How interested are we in seeing another 16 pages of photos of the boys in front of non descript crowds at mega gigs? He may be endlessy fascinated in this stuff, due no doubt in part to the fact there's not much else going on? but given a lot of us have been buying this stuff for 40 years does he not think we have enough? What would have been great would have been a good informative booklet, some memories anecdotes etc. Here we have after all, a genre defining, earth shaking, ground breaking album, considered by many as the greatest rock album ever, by some as one of the greatest albums ever. It's treatment (and that of the fans) here is shoddy compared to the back catalogue of much much lesser artists which is a real shame
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2014 5:34 AM GMT

Houses Of The Holy [Deluxe CD Edition]
Houses Of The Holy [Deluxe CD Edition]
Offered by MediaMine

2.0 out of 5 stars Five star music shoddy package, 6 Nov 2014
The remastered album sounds just great. Like the previous re-releases the scrub up applied really does display what a powerful rhythm section Bonzo and JPJ were. The kit in particular to my ears sounds wonderful throughout the album and the bass playing a revelation. This probably marks a sea change in the way Zep albums were produced, it's a very clean, dry sound it has non of the density of it's immediate predecessor and not so much of a sense of a band playing in a room, the little timing glitches on Black Dog and Misty Mountain Hop would have stood out like sore thumbs treated in this way.

I remember listening nonplussed the day this was originally released; having doted on zep 4, and seen them début numbers from this at blitzkrieg volumes at the Southampton Gaumont I simply couldn't understand what the Crunge and Dyer Maker and the sped up vocals were all about. I was still mystified having heard the session out-takes subsequently released on Physical Graffiti as to why these tracks got the nod; what were they thinking? Why the sped up vocals on the title track? a metaphor for the pace and momentum of the subject matter or a pitching issue?. Conspiracy theories? last track on Vol 4 Plants vocal is the only thing not slowed down in order to give the rhythm track added weight, and then first track Vol-5 Planty is the only thing sped up! Wouldn't it have been great to have a booklet that was informative?? Have you seen the way Deep Purple and Jethro Tull treat their legacy and fan base? Complete alternate versions, wonderfully informative booklets full of anecdotes, memories etc. I've made the point before that if Page could have nicked just one (more?) Idea from Randy California's Spirit he could have looked at the excellent re-releases of their classic albums and used them as a great model as to how to make re-releases, (particularly as we've now paid for most of this at least 3 or 4 times) worthwhile and good value for fans

The extras here I find laughable and the booklet pointless, like a lot of Zep fans I'm not bloody nine, and don't need a bunch minuscule photos of them with their tits out etc. I've played the 7 cuts (actually I got bored during the instrumental no quarter and skipped ahead) and doubt I ever will again, really why bother with an additional CD? everything of interest here could have gone on a single CD.
I've made the point on the other remasters that we know there was loads of stuff from 1,2 and 3 which has since found it's way onto box sets to snare completists. It would have been a deserved treat for fans to have seen these included on the companion discs as appropriate, the obvious inference is that in order to shift units of the execrable Coda when they get to it, they'll bung them on that as a kind of Odds and Sods exercise. I appreciate that Graffiti used everything from the HOTH sessions but given the obvious rehearsal that went into these numbers I don't believe that there aren't "really" alternative takes of these numbers somewhere.

So the cash harvest goes on for Mr Page and Co. I really really recommend you buy the remastered disc, don't bother with the deluxe edition
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2014 9:03 PM GMT

Planet Waves Drill Bit Peg Winder
Planet Waves Drill Bit Peg Winder

5.0 out of 5 stars A real time saver, 5 Aug 2014
Christ! I wish I'd found this years ago. I don't gig like I used to but still recall needing to string 4 guitars and how I'd look to put it off as long as possible. I just do the odd acoustic set now and to be honest this weedy little gizmo has taken all of the misery out of the process.

Potato Land
Potato Land
Offered by jim-exselecky

3.0 out of 5 stars Badge Holders Only, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Potato Land (Audio CD)
Ok First up be careful. This is probably for fans only. To be honest on first play I wasn't sure I was enough of a fan to overlook the sonic issues with this collection....Hi Fi it aint!! On repeated plays however I have come to appreciate the wackiness of the concept and the breadth of material here. The "live" and in studio jams won't take up too much of your time but the Potato Land concept and most of the other material here is a hoot. Most of the things you probably love about Spirit (if you're considering this) are all present and correct but this is definately not for the "merely interested or uncommitted". For you folks I suggest the 12 dreams of Doctor S or maybe some of the Sprit albums from the 70s, then call back to this one.

Ingarden Cantilever Garden Parasol. 3 M Tilt And 360 Degree Rotating Cantilevered Parasol-Beige
Offered by Ingarden

5.0 out of 5 stars Reccomended, 5 Aug 2014
A good product which does exactly what it says on the tin. Easy to put together and apparently robust and stylish, it looks and works just fine. I spent a lot of time researching for a tilt/rotate parasol and so far I'm extremely happy to have gone for this Ingarden product, it's superior in every way to a number of alternatives I looked at. I'd certainly reccomend it to any one

Terence Trent D'arby's Vibrator
Terence Trent D'arby's Vibrator

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So, 5 Aug 2014
Just caught up with this in 2014. It sounds a little dated what with the processed guitars and trilled scales which TDD uses in what used to pass for soulfulness in those days. That said there are some great moments when the man relaxes and lets that wonderful voice just do its' work without the effectedness and mannerisms that plague some of the songs here. I suppose there's a lack of true spark and originality which makes this a worthy each way bet but ultimately condemns this to also ran.

Official XHose 50ft Bundle - XHose & Holder & Water Jet & 8 Speed Nozzle
Official XHose 50ft Bundle - XHose & Holder & Water Jet & 8 Speed Nozzle
Offered by High Street TV

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of cr*p, 10 July 2014
Hose expands alright and doesn't kink just like it says on the tin. However the end fixtures simply aren't man enough for the job, they constantly leak and slip off the threads and I've lost count of the number of times we've been soaked. There's an on line video review which shows exactly this happening (google where to buy xhose)Today less than a year after buying it the inner hose has split! Just bought a regular hoselock hose and fixtures which works great, I'd not reccomend anyone else do different. To paraphrase Neil Young "Saw it on the tube, bought it on the phone when I got it home....it was a piece of crap"

Led Zeppelin [Deluxe CD Edition]
Led Zeppelin [Deluxe CD Edition]

3.0 out of 5 stars How Many More Times????, 10 July 2014
At the off I just want to admit I saw ledZeppelin in 1973 (cost £1) was already a fan and have been ever since, but really, how many more times are we going to have to pay for this stuff before they do the job right? and this goes for all 3 currently available deluxe editions.

The music's peerless of course and the re-master sounds good to my ears. My problem is with the companion discs and packaging. There's really not a lot here, I mean, how many times can you listen to a vocal-less backing track?? Once out of interest?

When you consider we've all bought this stuff 4 maybe 5 times now, isn't about time the band thought about the fans before their own over-stuffed bank accounts? Frankly it's cobblers for Page et-al to say there's nothing else, we all know there is. Please, please tell me that even renowned money snatcher Page isn't going to suggest we pay out for a re-master of the excreable cash grab exercise that was Coda!! or that he's going to re-re-remaster the box sets in order to really fleece the completists amongst his fan base. Poor tom/we're gonna groove/baby come on home/hey hey what can I do, could all have found their way onto single disc releases of these three and still leave room for the truly interesting tracks here.

It's a bit poetic in that these are released in the month that Randy California's estate is suing for a credit on Stairway to Heaven, when all Page had to do was to check out the excellent Spirit remasters and nick another idea. Single discs, beautifully mastered complete with alternative versions and added extras and an informative and entertaining booklet. It pains me to say that in comparison this seems a shoddy exercise in fleecing the long suffering fan. My advice would be to avouid these deluxe editions I doubt you'll be playing half of them much.

Ernie Ball 2008 10-52 Rock and Blues Earthwood 80/20 Bronze String Set
Ernie Ball 2008 10-52 Rock and Blues Earthwood 80/20 Bronze String Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Thin, reedy and weedy, 28 May 2014
If you're a guitar player considering switching (or choosing) your string product what you need to know is these are very light and have an un-wound 3rd (like electric guitar strings) If you're new to acoustic guitar you'll maybe get on with these OK but I'd warn you that you're unlikely to hear the sound of your instrument. The trade off is these are pretty easy to play with if you're used to an E guitar or just starting out. However they have a very thin and to my ears harsh sound which tends to dominate particularly if you use them live (through pickup or undersaddle and PA/Amp) Trying to get a balance between the bass strings and top 3 proved virtually impossible. I felt they just weren't resonating the soundboard enough to deliver the "sound" of the guitar and rather you end up with a fairly generic jingle with no real presence or identity. I absolutley appreciate it's horses for courses and you (along with all the other earthwood users) may well love 'em but I whipped these off after 1 rehearsal and went back to a wound 3rd set of elixir lights and the difference was huge and I mean HUGE! I'll not buy these again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3