Profile for Natasha Holme > Reviews

Hush
Hush
by Sara Marshall-Ball

4.0 out of 5 stars What happened in the woods that night?, 8 July 2015
This review is from: Hush (Paperback)
Two young girls are bullied mercilessly at school for their involvement in their friend Billy's death. The younger of the two, Lily, just eight years old, refuses to speak.

The narrative alternates between slim sections, simply entitled 'now' and 'then,' that take the reader on a journey, similar to Lily's own, as she struggles to piece together a picture, from disparate fragments, of what happened in the woods that night.

I felt teased throughout by the sinister undercurrent that might become dominant at any point. And the use of language is delightful.

The clues that emerged towards the end were quite thrilling as my mind raced in an attempt to beat the author to the ultimate revelation, a denouement that was both surprising and satisfying.

Sun Dragon
Sun Dragon

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected and satisfying, 14 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Sun Dragon (Kindle Edition)
The beginning of this book bowled me over with TWO female astronauts on the first page. Way to go!

I then spent a good chunk of the book wishing that Michael Brookes and Andy Weir would go for coffee and get their stories straight about what's happening on Mars because, having spent some time with Mark Watney, I felt I already knew, and was now completely disorientated :-)

This might be the third sci-fi book I've read (after an Arthur C Clarke I found on holiday in 2006, and The Martian), so I don't know the genre. But I found the ambitious storyline a wacky, fun read. The ending was unexpected and satisfying.

My Madder Fatter Diary
My Madder Fatter Diary
by Rae Earl

5.0 out of 5 stars God is after me, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: My Madder Fatter Diary (Paperback)
I love Rae Earl. Well, she's shared three years of her intimate thoughts, passions, and fears with us. I have so enjoyed learning them, rooting for her all the way.

In this second volume of Rae's diaries, once again, the skillful editing of the adult author carries us fluently through her mind and story whilst perfectly preserving the feel of the angst-ridden scribblings of a sex-starved, obese teenager struggling with her mental health.

Somehow volume 2 of Rae's diaries is even more engaging and laugh-out-loud-funnier than volume 1. And this second volume brings us much more insight into the history and day-to-day experience of Rae's mental condition.

"God is after me and will kill me if I don't close the door 36 times."
... Wow.

Don't burn your diaries, Rae. You'll want those when you're eighty.

Double Six
Double Six

4.0 out of 5 stars When?, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Double Six (Kindle Edition)
This is a piece of YA Science Fiction written for NaNoWriMo.org (National Novel Writing Month. Participants write 50,000 words during November. Quite a feat). As such, to my tastes, it needs some polishing and characterisation.

The author clearly had fun writing this book. ... Or is it several books? Were several books thrown up in the air and this one landed? ... but only in *this* timeline? ... or is it 1990? ... or 1987? ... I'm not sure when we are. But maybe that's the point? If you don't mind how linear your stories are, when you are, what actually happened, or what drugs the author was on, then maybe this is the timeline for you?

The Diary of a Nobody
The Diary of a Nobody

4.0 out of 5 stars Quaint hopelessness, 6 Feb. 2014
First published in 1892, this is the diary of Charles Pooter, a dull, reserved, middle-class, English nobody. Pooter's descriptions of events and everyday situations serve to underline his quaint hopelessness.

The book is delightful, and surprisingly funny (laugh-out-loud at times). I love the way Charles Pooter expresses himself, completely unaware of what an object of ridicule he is. On failing to find a witty retort to an insult, for example:
"I left the room with silent dignity, but caught my foot in the mat."

Natasha Holme
Author of 'Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder'

Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless
Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless

4.0 out of 5 stars Boo to woo too, 27 Jan. 2014
I only learnt a year or so ago (I'm forty-four) that Americans actually believe in God. I find this fascinating and perplexing and scary. Christianity's a bit of a fringe interest here in the UK. You would have to 'come out' as Christian and open yourself up to ridicule. So, I felt like I was in the audience while I was reading this book. Greta was talking to Americans, not to me.

However, I was brought up by one of the few remaining Christians here, telling me that I would burn for eternity if I didn't believe a story that seemed incredible to me at the age of five.

The ninety-nine incitements to atheist anger are powerful stuff and should indeed serve as embarrassment and "deconversion" fodder for the religious.

Greta makes interesting arguments that even following a spiritual path is a damaging choice. I am atheist. I am not spiritual (i.e. I am not into "woo"). But I do practise Reiki. Reiki is **physically** tangible spiritual energy that one is attuned to channel. I would really like to know what Greta would make of this if she experienced it?

I love listening to Greta Christina speak. Check her out on YouTube. She rocks.

Curious Wine
Curious Wine

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and dated, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Curious Wine (Kindle Edition)
A sweet and unusual lesbian romance. Set in 1978 it is definitely dated, quite amusingly so. Gentle all the way, and subtly gripping, it left me keen throughout to learn how events would unfold.

God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of The Bible
God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of The Bible

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing accomplishment, 17 Jan. 2014
This might be the best ever title for a book. I took 17,814 words of notes (copying and pasting from Kindle). It is packed with hilariously presented, bulletproof facts to keep the godly at bay.

I was brought up by a Bible-bashing father, and am an ex-Christian atheist myself. It would break my Dad's heart if he knew I had read this. I wish he would read it.

As Werleman points out: most Christians will have heard only the hand-picked verses preached in church. "Sound-bites sell because most people don't have time to drill deep into the heart of the issues." Well, Werleman has drilled deep. He lays bare the lies of a loving God and of gentle Jesus. We see the vengefulness, genocide, racism, homophobia, misogyny, ethnic cleansing, infanticide, and the support of slavery.

As well as the wickedness contained in the Bible, Werleman highlights the large number of contradictions and fallacies. He combs mercilessly through every book of the Old and New Testaments. This is an amazing accomplishment, one for which I am extremely grateful.

Notes From A Small Island
Notes From A Small Island

4.0 out of 5 stars Observational and linguistic genius, 4 Jan. 2014
Bill Bryson visited the UK in 1973 and loved it so much that he stayed for twenty years. I have lived in the UK all my life, and I love it too, so this book was precious to me. I found myself wondering often how it would be understood by readers who are not familiar with this country.

There is much to laugh out loud about here. He had me rolling around at times. Bryson is an observational and linguistic genius. We, the British, are all wearing Marks and Spencer cardigans, so apologetic and easily pleased that we find exquisite pleasure in the most tasteless of biscuits, and take elaborate precautions for a cross-country excursion of the equivalent distance an American would drive to get a taco.

According to Bryson, there is no American term for the English 'taking the p*ss.' He has learnt to do it exceedingly well.

Two Boys Kissing
Two Boys Kissing
by David Levithan
Edition: Library Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 20 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Two Boys Kissing (Library Binding)
Warm, delightful. So enjoyed this book. A beautiful message to homophobes to back off. I was positively struck by the balanced gender representation too in a book where all the main characters were boys.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8