Profile for Severian > Reviews

Content by Severian

Severian "Severian" (Oxfordshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Tech21 T21-1158 Impact Flip Case with D3O for iPhone 4 - Black
Tech21 T21-1158 Impact Flip Case with D3O for iPhone 4 - Black
Offered by Hale Communications

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality phone case, 24 May 2014
I have rated Tech21 cases since I first saw them. I had one of these in brown but after 2 years of solid use it got a bit worn and battered, so I replaced it with the same item in black and bought one for my wife too. These are really great quality, fit my iPhone 4s perfectly and look very classy. These ones cost less than a tenner which is fantastic, considering my original brown one cost £35 from John Lewis 2 years ago.

Kingston Technology 32 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive with Metal Casing

5.0 out of 5 stars Big quality, small cost, 24 May 2014
This memory stick is cut from a nice piece of aluminium and is very robust. Only problem is this thing is TINY so you will need to put it on a key ring or holder of some sort. Seems to be very fast and brilliant value for the money.

Buxton Red Leather Heiress Double Zip-Around Indexer Wallet
Buxton Red Leather Heiress Double Zip-Around Indexer Wallet
Offered by Silverhooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little purse (as we call these in England), 24 May 2014
Bought this for Mrs Severian to replace one of these she had in pink which got old and worn out. This is a quality wallet, made of excellent material with lots of useful pockets for credit cards and small change, notes etc. This is so good it was worth paying the extra $15 to have this shipped to the UK.

The Seven Crystal Balls (The Adventures of Tintin)
The Seven Crystal Balls (The Adventures of Tintin)
by Hergé

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Herge's best, 30 Mar 2014
Nothing much actually happens in this book - it's mostly designed to set the scene for the following.

If (like me) you're collecting an entire set of TinTin hardbacks this is a must. If you're only reading the occasional one, or buying as a gift I suggest you give this a miss.

HOW ABOUT NOW
HOW ABOUT NOW

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album - a must for your collection, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: HOW ABOUT NOW (Audio CD)
This is a great album if you like Country music, or even if you just like some good meaningful vocals.

Ags Connolly has a great talent for writing and singing, with all of the songs on this album being his own.

Super to listen to in the car, but much better if you're in a real bar, or having a glass of whiskey in your own lounge.

OCZ OCZSSDUPGDKIT1 Solid State Drive Upgrade Kit
OCZ OCZSSDUPGDKIT1 Solid State Drive Upgrade Kit

1.0 out of 5 stars Why can't I give this zero stars?, 28 Nov 2013
Bought one of these kits a few months ago (not from Amazon I have to admit), but only got round to using it over the past couple of weeks.

The thing was completely useless - as an external SSD my disk wouldn't read at all.

In effect you are paying for an SSD mounting tray and an SSD power lead and connector. The SSD external enclosure box just didn't work. I threw it in the bin this morning.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 5:30 PM BST

Am-Tech 3-inch Offset SDS Chisel
Am-Tech 3-inch Offset SDS Chisel

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough for serious work, 18 Aug 2013
I bought this to remove floor tiles in my kitchen, and the thick set below it. Even with my 2.2Joule SDS drill this chisel simply wasn't good enough to take off the thick set tile adhesive. I don't know if that is because you need a REALLY powerful chisel drill, or because the blade isn't sharp enough.

I bought a separate narrower (1.5") chisel to remove most of the old tile adhesive, then used this chisel to smooth off the remainder, for which it is fine.

It's also good for removing wall tiles and skirting boards - just not up to the task of clearing up floor tiles.

Makita BHP456RFWX 2-Speed 18V Li-ion Combi Drill with Battery Anniversary Edition - White
Offered by GM Suppliers

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant drill for the money, 31 July 2013
This is a great drill - very well built and a very comfortable size, making it a joy to use. Battery charges very quickly and lasts for ages.

The amount of torque this produces is scary - no way could you get that much power into a screw by hand!

The case looks very smart, but is perhaps a bit cheap. Fine for keeping in my cupboards in the house, but probably not sturdy enough for use on site. The internal foam fittings are great and hold the drill and charger very snugly. (EDIT - Dec2013 - now I've used this drill for a few months the case has proven to be much more sturdy than I first thought. VERY impressed overall.)

£140 might seem a bit steep for a drill, but believe me this is worth every penny.

Invision® TV Wall Mount Bracket - New Slim Line Design With Cantilever Arm Tilt & Swivel Feature For Most 26" - 42" TV Screens, Fits LED, LCD & Plasma, Max VESA 200mm x 200mm (Please Check TV VESA Mounting Holes Before Purchase)
Offered by Invision Technology (UK) Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality kit, very well made., 31 May 2013
I bought this for my son's bedroom to hold a 24" TV. It is made from very solid and heavy metal, with three removable plastic sleeves that clip over the arms to run cables through. There is a removable plastic sleeve (which splits into two halves) that covers the bracket where it mounts on the wall. The bracket that attaches to the TV is removable (via two nuts) so it can be fixed to the TV, and then easily re-attached to the main bracket once you have screwed it to the wall.

When I first unpacked this the joints were very very stiff, so I loosened off the nuts very slightly with an Allen key and it moves more freely now. The two bolts at the wall end though need a very big allen key to undo, so I left those alone.

It comes supplied with a range of different fixings including bolts and big rawlplugs for the wall, plus bolts and collars to be used in fixing the bracket to the TV. I didn't use any of these, I used my TV supplied bolts (only a 100mm connection on the TV), and I used 6mm Rigifix (see my separate review) bolts to fix this to the wall. Using those anchors (which are fantastic!) this is absolutely solid, with very little vertical/rotational play in the arms.

If you do find that your wall mounting is not perfectly vertical this is not a problem because there are two nuts that can be undone to allow some rotational movement to align horizontally. The TV attached plate is also tiltable up to about 15 degrees (downwards only).

It took me about an hour to install, much of which was spent drilling holes and getting the alignment perfect, but the end result is lovely. The TV sits close to the wall, can swivel out up to about 50cm and around 180 degrees.

Overall this is a brilliant piece of kit for the money, solidly made and well designed.

VonHaus by Designer Habitat 2x Floating Black Glass Shelves Mount Bracket for DVD/Blu-Ray Player, Satellite/Cable Box, Games Console
Offered by Designer Habitat

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly build but great in the end, 31 May 2013
This is a relatively basic product - two glass shelves held together with extruded aluminium spacers/wall mount. All the parts are held together by two vertical steel rods which are threaded at each end.

The assembly instructions are almost risible. There are 4 steps - Step 1 shows an expanded picture of all the parts. And that is it! Step 2 shows how the wall bracket attaches to the stand.

Having said that it's a relatively simple build - just slot all the pieces on the rods and tighten the screw caps on each end using the (supplied) Allen key. This is very fiddly so best to do this with all the pieces horizontal and the two shelves vertically on the front edge, fitting the rods horizontally. Better still get someone to hold the shelves for you.

Once assembled and tightened I found I had to loosen off the screws to get the plastic spacers all aligned nicely, then re-tightened them.

The shelf attaches at the top to a back-plate which it hangs on and is held by two screws, so the bottom part is not connected to the wall in any way. Given the weight of this unit make sure the back plate is very tightly secured - we have "dot and dab" plaster walls, so I used Rigifix 6mm bolts (see my separate review) to make the back plate absolutely rock solid.

There is enough room in the channel behind the unit to run cables up/down out of sight, and you get a spare plastic blanking cap to cover one of the holes if you aren't using it.

Although the shelf unit is quite deep my son's PS3 unit overhangs the front edge slightly, because all of the cable connections at the rear go through the one hole. The other shelf is great for holding game boxes, hand controllers etc.

Overall, and considering what we paid for it, this is a great product that I would recommend to anyone. Just make sure your wall fixings are tight.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4