ARRAY(0xadbfe5ac)

Profile for Rock Dinosaur > Reviews

Content by Rock Dinosaur

Rock Dinosaur "Rock Dinosaur" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Stagg SG50BK Tripod Guitar Stand - Black
Stagg SG50BK Tripod Guitar Stand - Black
Offered by RayGar
Price: 6.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap And Cheerful, 21 Feb 2014
Bought this as a lightweight stand for going to the studio. Easy to erect, light and simple to stow away after. For 7, it's a no-brainer. Having said that, if you intend putting a decent guitar on it long term, buy the a Hercules stand as they are far more robust and sturdy.

Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Offered by Jb's Music Store
Price: 59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Tuner Needed, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Boss have always made the best pedals; loads of choice, vast range, great durability and easy to see in the dark. I've tried other tuners but this is the most reliable. At 59, a snip if you don't want to sound like an injured cat.

Stagg SSL1 Straplocks in Gold
Stagg SSL1 Straplocks in Gold
Offered by RST Music
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably Priced Quality Product, 21 Feb 2014
I've tried various strap lock systems; Fenders for my Strats and Tele, Schaller style for SG's and others but wanted something ornate that would suit the gold hardware on my LP. Looked up various sites and they all wanted 20 plus but these Stagg locks fitted the bill. No problem fitting, nice and tight when on and just look as if they came with the guitar. Other patterns available as well so ov erall a great bargain.

Somethings Dripping
Somethings Dripping
Price: 11.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Debut, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Somethings Dripping (Audio CD)
I saw Bonafide about 2 years ago and bought the CD "Fill Your Head With Rock" on the back of that. It was good but not a patch on this. I defy anyone not to jump out their seat at the main riff of the first track "Dirt Bound". The same also applies to most of the tracks with catchy riffs, infectious and memorable lyrics, great vocals and excellent guitar work. I've had it for about three weeks now and it hasn't been off the iPod since. They, along with Airbourne and 77, may receive criticism for sounding like AC/DC but they mix that element up with a far rawer and harder edge than Angus and Bon ever managed. To top it all off there are no space wasting, vomit inducing ballads that rock bands seem to sprinkle their CD's with these days so order it now and make sure you see them this autumn.

21St Century Rock
21St Century Rock
Price: 14.43

3.0 out of 5 stars The Spanish AC/DC, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: 21St Century Rock (Audio CD)
After having listened to High Decibels, their last album, on constant repeat, this is a bit of a disappointment. I know the riffs will be straight out of the "Let There Be Rock" and "High Voltage" era albums and I can live with that but too many songs on here are nothing more than basic bedroom riffs on repeat that don't stretch the musical boundary very far. Having said that, it's still better than the majority of dross that masquerades as rock music these days so worth listening to before buying High Decibels.

Jesus Christ Superstar - Live Arena Tour 2012 [Blu-ray]
Jesus Christ Superstar - Live Arena Tour 2012 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Tim Minchin
Price: 9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars No Superstars But Still A Super Show, 22 Dec 2012
I've always loved this musical primarily because of its rock roots and the fact that not one song within could be considered a filler. So, I was exceptionally cynical when the usual "Let's Find A Third Rate No Talent X Factor" format was applied to find a lead for the arena tour. Similarly, on discovering that stage luminaries such as Chris Moyles and Mel C would also be part of the show I didn't buy tickets. However, my wife and friends did and I was subjected to weeks of chiding as I had missed "the best performance she had ever seen of JCS". With this constant chirruping in my ears I had no choice but to buy her it on Blue Ray DVD as soon as it was released.

Having just watched it I will now live to regret that I didn't buy a ticket as the full show is stunning. The stage set is simple but varied, the musicianship from the band is excellent and the cast are all fantastic. Tim Minchin in particualr steals the show for me as his acting and vocal performances are jaw dropping. Where has he been hiding for the last couple of years? Even my initial cynicsm over the appointment of Ben Forster as JC has been washed away as he is outstanding as demonstrated by his strong performance of Gethsemane-stunning to watch and very emotive. Mel C also acquits herself well as do the secondary cast members playing Herod, Pilate and the Apostles. The disc also has behind the scenes extras that are quite interesting and give an insight into the whole set up, lighting, design etc.

Grudgingly, I can't recommend it enough and will bite my tongue next time a "Let's Find A Third Rate No Talent X Factor" show is on as the result for this stage show has definitely been a triumph.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2014 4:09 AM GMT

Digitech Screamin' Blues Overdrive/Distortion Guitar Pedal
Digitech Screamin' Blues Overdrive/Distortion Guitar Pedal
Price: 23.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sounding Pedal In A Sturdy Stomp Box, 29 Nov 2012
I almost bought this 3 times through Ebay for about 30 and missed out each time but then saw it on Amazon for the knock down price of 37 (incl P&P) so decided to puhs the boat out and buy new. I have about 10 different distortion/overdrive pedals from Vox Satchurator, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Bad Monkey, DS1 and Marshall Guvnor and Jackhammer pedals so have a wide array to use as a comparison. Whilst the pedal is not suitable for full team ahead hard rock/metal it is perfect for a raunchy classic rock tone. Played with a Fender Strat it really bring sout the single coil tones perfectly. Run it with humbuckers and you have an almost ZZ Top tone. Run it in tandem with the Bad Monkey or the Guvnor and you end up with a wild beast of a tone that is fantastic for screaming leads. A brand new pedal for 37 with a wide range of sounds and tones is one that really can't be overlooked.

Bag Of Bones
Bag Of Bones
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 4.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Overdue Rock Classic, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Bag Of Bones (Audio CD)
I bought this on the basis of hearing "Doghouse" on a free Classic Rock CD but had also read positive reviews about it. It was also only 5 so it was a no-brainer. If you still think of Europe as being a "Final Countdown" and "Carrie" big hair band then don't buy this. The musicianship is superb with John Norum finally managing to show off his talent as a top notch guitarist. His solo albums have always attracted me more than Europe's but on this album his Schenker influences are really noticeable in his mazy lead runs and rhythmn style and acclaim is well overdue. Joey Tempest still looks like Peter Pan and it's hard to believe he's 50. He still has a fantastic voice and his lyrics really hit a chord on some of the numbers. I'm hard pressed to point out any bad songs as they are all excellent. They really do rock right through the full album with the exception of the ubiquitous slower numbers, "Drink And A Smile" and "Bring It all Home" but the highlights are "Demon Head", "Firebox" and "Doghouse". It's a pity they didn't stick to this formula 25 years ago as they would be arena superstars now. At such a giveaway price you have to try it out. Alternatively, catch them on tour this November 2012, you will not be disappointed.

British Lion
British Lion
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak Insipid Offering, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: British Lion (Audio CD)
Having followed Maiden since 79 and knowing Steve Harris to be the driving force behind Maiden this was one release I had been drooling over for some time. I fully expected his varied musical tastes (UFO/Priest/Genesis/etc) to shine through and eagerly anticipated a high end, tour de force of musicianship and songwriting. What you get, however, is a tired collection of third rate songs that he, more than likely, would have rejected for Maiden, even though they are not strictly in the same musical style. It all starts off well enough with "This Is My God" and a raunchy wah wah guitar riff tinged with a bit of Zep. However, only two songs, "Us Against The World" and "Judas", really merit regular playing and the remainder sound like fillers. When you research the history of the "backing band" and the time it has taken for these songs to come to fruition it becomes clearer where this has gone wrong. What really lets the whole record down is the weak, uninspired and insipid singing. You keep waiting for a Bruce Dickinson style scream or a change in tempo, pace or something, but it never comes. Another major issue is the production, with the vocals seeming, to my aging ears, to be low in the mix (maybe a blessing given the bland quality of the singing). The drums also need cleaned up as there is a regular clicking throughout the album that has either been overlooked in the mix or is due to poor bad stickmanship. Overall, it's a really disappointing effort, given the pedigree of the main man. Maybe a couple more spins will help me pick out some high points but I've heard enough rock music since the mid 70's to know an average album so sorry Steve-you're my all time bass hero but you've let youself down with this one.

Live Dates, Vol.2
Live Dates, Vol.2
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 13.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Absence Makes The Music Grow Better, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: Live Dates, Vol.2 (Audio CD)
It was October 1980 and I had just bought Live Dates 2, Stage Struck by Rory Gallagher and Ace of Spades by Motorhead from Glasgow's Listen record shop. Flash forward a generation and I've replaced them all on CD bar Live Dates 2. Not because I didn't like the album-it was never off my record player when I was in my formative years, and became one of my favourite live albumns along with the Priest/Lizzy/Quo/Rush/ACDC standards of the time. For years I hummed and hawed about buying this 2 album version as a Japanese import and always baulked at the price. On some sites it was being sold for up to 60!!! I even complained to the Ash contingent at the Glasgow Ferry the last time I went to see them there about the ridiculous situation that it hadn't been released on CD in it's full, glory. After all, it's been around in some shape or form since its' orignal release in 1980. Then 2 weeks ago, I see it for the measly price of 7 on Amazon in the 2 album format. Before you can say FUBB me, I've ordered and paid for it.

It arrived today and as one of the other reviewers mentioned, I had reservations that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered as a youthful, fresh faced, hairy oik. Not a chance and nothing to worry about. It has lost none of its initial impact and the fact that I've not heard the 2nd album in over 20 years only makes it better. Superb playing, great songs and wonderful production. Listening to Lorelei and Persephone nearly made me shed a tear with the subtle strat tones of Laurie Wisefield's under rated playing and the Turner's tasteful polyfilla bass lines.

Real Gone Music and Amazon-you have made a rock dinosaur very, very happy and taken me back to the great days of rock music in the 70/80's. If you are of a certain vintage dig out your credit card and buy it now before they delete it again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2013 4:27 PM BST