Profile for Rock Dinosaur > Reviews

Content by Rock Dinosaur

Rock Dinosaur "Rock Dinosaur" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
If You Want Blood, You've Got It
If You Want Blood, You've Got It
Price: 6.16

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only True AC/DC Line Up, 5 May 2011
Whenever I hear the first notes of Riff Raff I'm transported back to 1979 when I first bought this and even now that intro fires me up. I wore out that album pretty quickly and am now onto my 2nd CD version. At the time it was applauded for being a single album but they could have easily made it a double with the great material they played live at the time. If you are not familair with Bon Scott (surely not!!) then buy this now as this is the closest you'll get to the original sweaty, raw, electrically charged pub atmosphere of Angus and Bon running into the crowds, around the balconies and down the aisles of the smaller theatres they played. This was a great era for classic live albums (Unleashed/Quo Live/Live & Dangerous) and IYWB was certainly an 11 on Angus' Marshall stack. No doubt if it was released now, some PC jobsworth would ban it for the cover but not in 1979. Ahh-those halcyon days.

Good To Be Bad
Good To Be Bad
Price: 8.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A Return to the Good Old Days, 4 May 2011
This review is from: Good To Be Bad (Audio CD)
I gave up on Whitesnake in the early/mid eighties when Coverdale went all MTV/big hair and even Sykes & Vandenberg couldn't convince me to give them another try. So, it was with some surprise about 2 years ago when I heard a track on a freebie Classic Rock CD that blew me away and made me shell out for this gem. There are plenty of reviews previously that detail the quality of each song so I'll stick to the basic facts. He still has a great voice, he has found 2 superb guitarists in Reb Beach and Doug Aldrich (who is easily the best guitarist I've heard in years), and the material is at least as good as the Lovehunter/Ready and Willing era. If you are a rock dinosuar or a newer convert to Whitesnake then this should be in your CD collection. Buy it and I guarantee it will not be off your iPod or CD player. Then get yourself a ticket to catch them live this summer.

Somewhere In Time
Somewhere In Time
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.73

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Barry Classic, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
If you only know John Barry as the Bond theme man then it's time you expanded your horizons. This is a relatively short CD, around 35 minutes, centering around a couple of themes that repeat at various stages throughout the tracks. The swirling, haunting main melody is a wonderful piece of composing that is stunningly simple yet stirring and emotive. Another superb piece of work from the master of modern soundtracks.

Headhunter
Headhunter
by Michael Slade

5.0 out of 5 stars Horror With A Twist, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Headhunter (Paperback)
I first read this book around 1988, not long after it's original release, and was taken aback by the quality of the writing, the characterisation, the twists and turns and the wonderful surprise ending. Why the writer(s) (3 people actually writing under the name of Michael Slade) have not achieved the same stature as King, Koontz and that ilk is baffling. This book started my love affair with Slade's writtng style; intelligent, textured, layered, thought provoking, and over the past 20 years I've read all but about 3 that I am about to rectify as I've just ordered them through Amazon. If you like horror that isn't written to appeal to the lowest common denominator of readers then you won't be dissapointed in this. Follow it up with Ghoul, Zombie, Ripper and Swastika to really appreciate the nuances of how this trio write. Wonderful stuff.

Runnin Wild
Runnin Wild
Price: 8.30

5.0 out of 5 stars BON SCOTT IS SMILING, 27 Sep 2008
This review is from: Runnin Wild (Audio CD)
An AC/DC soundalike, similar hooks and riffs with familiar and comfy chord changes but so what. After having to endure crap like Kasabian, Ferdinand Franz and Biffy Clyro being punted by music stations as rock this is a very refreshing change and whisked me back to the halcyon days of 78-81. All the previous reviews have already went into enough detail on the music. Suffice to say-buy, play and enjoy.

Status Quo Live
Status Quo Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Get That Balcony Movin', 21 May 2007
This review is from: Status Quo Live (Audio CD)
I was 13 and this was my first ever concert. Little was I too know how it would affect me even 30 odd years later when I only need to hear Jackie Lynton's intro to send shivers down my back. When it was first released in February 77 it wasn't off the turntable for months. From Junior's Wailing through to the classic version of 4500 times the album just oozes out classic Quo when they were at the height of their popularity. Every track is superb and the album just crackles with energy. If you don't own this-why not? I challenge anyone to listen to this without searching for their cardboard Telecaster.

Warrior on the Edge of Time
Warrior on the Edge of Time

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia on the Edge of Time, 21 May 2007
I first heard this at my older cousins when I was about 13/14 and was immediately entranced by it. Up till then I had been raised on a staple diet of Quo/Kiss/Rush/Lizzy and the layered production was, at that time, stunning. I bought the album a couple of years later with the superb gatefold sleeve (something that CD's will never be able to imitate) and have since replaced it on CD. From the first notes of Assault and Battery the album takes you through sci-fi babblings, straight ahead rock, prog rock and a bit of everything in between. Purists may disagree but this is a great introduction to a much under rated band.

Nothing But Trouble
Nothing But Trouble
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 21.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Do Better, 19 Aug 2006
This review is from: Nothing But Trouble (Audio CD)
Compered to their debut 'Blue Murder' this can only be considered as average. Even then, it still has the trademark Sykes solos and Lizzy influenced riffs. Worth buying as a taster for his debut CD Blue Murder.

Lettin Loose
Lettin Loose
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone but not forgotten, 9 Feb 2006
This review is from: Lettin Loose (Audio CD)
I knew this album inside out by the time it was released as I used to watch them play the pubs and clubs in Glasgow. The songs had the raw energy of youth but were polished and melodic-definite influences of Lizzy and Kiss shine through. Wonderful guitarwork, solid bass and powerful drumming throughout make this a great debut album. Having just found it on CD it's not been of out the car in about 2 weeks. Just listening to 'Roll the Dice', 'Love x's Love' and 'Hell is Beautiful' will take you back to the 'good old days' when of NWOBHM. Buy it and you won't be dissapointed-guaranteed. It's a real pity that they never received the recognition they deserved.

Don't They Know It's Friday? Cross-Cultural Considerations for Business and Life in the Gulf
by Jeremy Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Effective, 27 Jan 2006
I first read this book when it was originally published in Dubai 1998 and it provided me with an insight into some of the more confusing practices and customs of the Middle East. It won't help you walk straight into a joint venture with a local, set up a business or remove the frustrating and infuriating bureaucracy of the region but it will at least make you aware of the potential pitfalls and how to avoid them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3