Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (London, UK)

Karneval, Vol. 1
Karneval, Vol. 1
by Touya Mikanagi

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this story for such a long time and glad ..., 23 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Karneval, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
Loved this story for such a long time and glad they have translated it. Though re-reading it has made me see that the panels don't flow as well, a few speeling mistakes (as with many mangas) and the story is really far-fetched, but I love the story line and the art. I think it's classed a 'Josei' which is manga for order girls/women (18-35 respectfully) so it's not overly shoujo-ish but the characters are showy... very showy. If you can look pass the dress code of some of this characters then it's worth reading.

Also this manga has two volumes, which is a design I'm starting to appreciate..

Pride and Premiership
Pride and Premiership

1.0 out of 5 stars Too annoying to get to the end of part one!, 8 July 2011
I was going to buy this book until I saw the free download, and, my God, did it save me a bit of money. This diary-styled novel... if you'd call it that, doesn't deliver. It lacks everything that a book needs. Characters are shallow and stereotypical, the authour doesn't try to write about a new type of wag, you don't know anything about who the char.s are or the club they are in. In Remy's words the VIP lougne looks like 'money'! Huh! You don't really learn anything of value other then she wants a footballer. Fair even, just make it a decent read. Half decent even!

I tried to be optimistic with this one but it's really weak and I can't see the need for it.

I don't like to use this for of description, as I use the website for my own pleasure and creative flow, but this is really like a bad fanfic... :(

I am a glutton for punishment and this read beat me with it's poorly delivered narrative. Serves my right! But with that said, I will try and finished part one. I'm on page 12, wish me luck...

...tbc...

07-Ghost 02
07-Ghost 02
by Yukino Ichihara

5.0 out of 5 stars It's in German... huh?!, 26 Feb. 2011
This review is from: 07-Ghost 02 (Paperback)
I just thought I'd let people know that I ordered this manga, and although I love the art and the story line and everything else, the copy that Amazon is handing out is in German. Can't fathom it but it's in German... I'm not going to give it a bad review because I enjoy reading it. If you have the first vol. I recommend continue reading, just get it in English. (-.-)

Creating Characters: A Writer's Reference to the Personality Traits That Bring Fictional People to Life
by Howard Lauther

4.0 out of 5 stars Indepth beyond understanding, 2 Jan. 2010
This book is amazing. I was dubious about it because the price didn't really correlate with the size of the book, but the amount of detail inside is more then what I ever expected it. In truth it might even be too much (235pages).

The book looks at everything you would need to consider when developing a character, and I mean everything. For example, right from chapter one you realise just how deep this book is:

Chapter one looks at a characters internal traits: Is your char. good, evil, reputable, disreputable, honest, dishonest, just, unjust, etc. (You can see a pattern of a negative and positive traits) under each heading it lists words that relate to that trait: Impractical - daydreaming/fanciful/moonstruck etc and it then gives examples how other characters in your book could view an impractical person - "Prone to taking risks, to jump without first looking."

Chapter two looks at eternal traits in the same fashion.

I did a character profile the first day I got it and it ended up being 8pages long even though I cut most suggestions out in the book.

I was going to give the book Five stars but I decided on four because, although I know it to be the best how-to-book that I've bought on character development (and I'm able to compare it with Victoria Schmidt's 45 master characters), if you don't know or have a fair idea of who your character is and what you want from them in your planned novel, you can and will get lost and fall into the trap of contradicting your character's personality just because the book gives you so much to consider. Mind you, Lauther does mention that you won't use everything, but after eight pages of planning you really want to tell the reader every fascinating thing you planned! Alas.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who is serious about writing and wants their reading to, not identify with the character but understands why a character is doing something without telling, but showing, whether the character is portrayed as a 'good/hero' character or a 'evil/villain' character.

Best of luck if you buy it, but read it slowly don't jump in!

Creating Character Emotions
Creating Character Emotions
by Ann Hood

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough..., 21 May 2009
I found this book to be very useful in the beginning stages of my writing. It highlights thirty-six emotions in total and in each chapter Hood provides good and bad examples of these as well as exercises for you to try out.

The only negative point I can highlight about the book is that it is repetitive in its structure. Hood will only show you three bad examples, explain why they are bad, show you three good examples and explain why they are good, and that is really the whole book.

In saying that, I would recommend at least reading it. It's like a dictionary: you'll only use it when you need to remind yourself to 'show and not tell' the emotion. It has definitely helped me in the past when I have had writers' block, but be aware that it is not a 'how-to-book' that walks you through the motions, you have to do all the thinking - but that's a good thing, right!