Profile for Zoe > Reviews

Fantastic Storytelling
Fantastic Storytelling
Offered by Wikoda Productions

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Party Game, 8 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Fantastic Storytelling (Toy)
My partner and I are big fans of MikeJ's videos and we were more than happy to back this Kickstarter project. When the parcel arrived we were very pleased to see how the design and quality of the cards and packaging has improved since the prototype. Beautifully presented, very tasteful design and informative packaging. The cards themselves are very good quality too, looking sturdy and with a nice feel to them.

We played between the two of us and it was great fun, but I must say it becomes even more side-splittingly hilarious when played in a group/party situation. The rules are easy to pick up and the variety of card categories is oddly satisfying to us. You pick a story card, it tells you which category cards may be laid down to start, then you use the cards in your hand to make a coherent story out of the cards in play. Each card from your hand added to the story allows you to draw a card of your choice from the category decks, which must be added to the story. If you can't add it and have the story make sense, another player may steal your points and add their own cards til it makes sense.

I highly recommend this game if you are a fan of Cards Against Humanity or Gibberish, but unlike the former you may play this version of Fantastic Storytelling with children or those who may take offence at the ruder cards available to buy in a separate over-18s "Party Pack" which we have had even more fun with. I never felt comfortable sharing Cards Against Humanity with my parents and younger brother and am thrilled to have a similarly funny game (without obscenity) to play with them when I visit. Christmas is coming up and I definitely recommend Fantastic Storytelling as a superb Christmas present for a household, ideal for the family to play. I know I'll be buying a few as presents.

The 18+ party pack is also easy to separate from the clean game so you don't have to worry about that if you want to play either version in different situations.

As well as being a fun game, this is also a great tool for anyone looking to enhance their creativity and imagination. May also be great as an aid for literacy learning, I could see Fantastic Storytelling going down well in a classroom setting. We used to play Countdown is class sometimes, so it's plausible that this game would work too. Getting kids to pick a story card and the corresponding category cards, then getting them to go away and make up a story using those things, would be a fabulous way to make creative writing classes and homework more enjoyable for students (and those who mark their work!). Fantastic Storytelling may also work well for those who enjoy acting out adlib/improv scenes; this could work for drama class but is also a way to jazz up the game at home.

Good Beer Guide 2012
Good Beer Guide 2012
by Roger Protz

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Beer Guide 2012, 11 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2012 (Paperback)
Bought as a gift, but it was very well received and is used regularly.

It looks well organised and I appreciate the handy key symbols.

Saints Row The Third: The Full Package (Xbox 360)
Saints Row The Third: The Full Package (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Saints Row The Third: The Full Package (Xbox 360), 11 Feb. 2013
I bought this as a gift, but he seems to love it and from what I've seen it looks fun. Once I get to play it I will write a more in-depth review.

I particularly appreciate the inclusion of all the DLC!

Gypsy Boy
Gypsy Boy
by Mikey Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Gypsy Boy, 25 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Gypsy Boy (Paperback)
This can make for quite a difficult read at times - it is quite shocking and sad in places, so people who are after something light-hearted should probably look elsewhere. Those who are expecting a Big Fat Gypsy Wedding sort of book will probably be disappointed too.

Although tear jerking, it also has some genuinely funny bits and is a well-told story - I was gripped and couldn't put it down!

Looking forward to getting the next one.

The Psychology of Prejudice and Discrimination
The Psychology of Prejudice and Discrimination
by Mary E. Kite

5.0 out of 5 stars The Psychology of Prejudice and Discrimination, 25 Nov. 2012
This book proved to be so very helpful for my Stereotyping and Prejudice module when I was studying Psychology, though I imagine it is good for other modules too.

Academic use aside, I find it a very interesting, thought-provoking and enjoyable read. More of a book to dip in and out of than read front to back in one go though.

Smarter Student Planner 2011-2012 (Smarter Study Skills)
Smarter Student Planner 2011-2012 (Smarter Study Skills)
by Dr Jonathan Weyers
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Smarter Student Planner 2011-2012 (Smarter Study Skills), 28 Oct. 2011
Wonderful for getting organised, I especially like the month pages in addition to weekly pages.

Indispensable tool for a student.

The Bucket List [DVD] [2008]
The Bucket List [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Jack Nicholson
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bucket List, 16 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Bucket List [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Bargain price, bought as a present which was very happily received.

I'm quite fond of this film, it's both funny and tragic, and the chemistry of these two fine actors is a sight to behold.

No complaints!

As Good as It Gets [DVD] (1997)
As Good as It Gets [DVD] (1997)
Dvd ~ Jack Nicholson
Offered by joe4books

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good As It Gets, 16 Jun. 2011
Brilliant feel-good film, bought as a present for my Dad.

He was very happy with it.

Bargain price too!

Braun Silk-épil 7 7681 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Attachments
Braun Silk-épil 7 7681 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Attachments
Offered by Zeetek

4.0 out of 5 stars Braun Silk-épil Xpressive Pro Wet & Dry 7681 Rechargeable Epilator, 26 April 2011
For the first time epilator, I advise both bravery and perseverance!

Quite painful on first use, but the pain does get less each time you use it.

As others have said, it does not catch the very short hairs, which would be fine if my hair was a bit softer. So I epilate as best I can and use the shaver attachment to get the pesky remaining hairs. On the plus side, my legs do feel smoother for longer and regrowth is slow.

Using the epilator on certain areas (the back of the thighs, for instance) is quite impossible, unless you have an extra pair of hands to keep skin taut for you. Having said that, even when these areas are kept taut it is still painful.

Perhaps one day I'll be able to do my underarms and thighs, but for now it's the most horrible burning sensation.

All in all, great first epilator and the progress I'm making is good.

Surfin' Bird
Surfin' Bird

4.0 out of 5 stars Surfin Bird, 7 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Surfin' Bird (MP3 Download)
Shame that most people only like the song cause of Family Guy.

It got to number 3 on the Christmas charts in 2010 thanks to a Facebook campaign, pretty good.

Page: 1 | 2