Profile for MJ > Reviews

Content by MJ

MJ (London)

Page: 1 | 2
50s VINTAGE ROCKABILLY NET PETTICOAT SKIRT,26" Length (10, black)
50s VINTAGE ROCKABILLY NET PETTICOAT SKIRT,26" Length (10, black)
Offered by LuyanBoutique

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits well, does the job, 14 July 2014
Snug and seamless at the top and only starts to flare out below the widest point of the hips. The bottom layer of the petticoat is smooth and protects you from the scratchy net. Doesn't take long to fluff it up - I didn't bother to iron it because I was going to take it on a plane anyway, and it still looks great and has plenty of volume.

Lindy Bop 'Lana' Classic Elegant Vintage 1950's Prom Dress Ball Gown (14, Red)
Lindy Bop 'Lana' Classic Elegant Vintage 1950's Prom Dress Ball Gown (14, Red)
Offered by Lindy Bop

5.0 out of 5 stars Very flattering shape, 14 July 2014
I love this dress! (I went for the green, which is a flattering shade that isn't too bright.) I had to go down a size because the shoulders and bust were a bit big on me, and I've moved the buttons on the sash, but now it fits beautifully and really accentuates the waist. It's a proper 1950s tea length, but I wanted a slightly more modern look, so I took it up an inch or so at the bottom too (I am 5'4), although I might let it down again if I go to a vintage-themed evening. It looks good both with and without a petticoat. I bought it for a wedding and it's great for dancing in - the fabric has a good weight to it so it flares out nicely if you turn.

Roch Valley Lara Ladies Ballroom Shoe
Roch Valley Lara Ladies Ballroom Shoe
Price: £26.50 - £38.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, 14 Oct 2013
I'm a ballroom beginner who never wears heels in everyday life. These are light and flexible, and incredibly comfortable - not at all like 'real' high-heeled shoes! The small heel helps with my posture and footwork, the sole is suede, so you can spin but you don't slip, and the buckle is quick fastening. They've been much admired in dance class too.

A Boy at the Hogarth Press
A Boy at the Hogarth Press
by Richard Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny, 14 Sep 2012
If you work in publishing, are a budding writer, or are interested in the Bloomsbury Group or either of the Woolfs, you must read this little book. It's so funny and delightful, and completely punctures the myth of glamour that surrounds Bloomsbury (and, for some unknown reason, publishing).

The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas and Sweet Accompaniments
The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas and Sweet Accompaniments
by David Lebovitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and knowledgeable, 14 Sep 2012
I absolutely love this book, and I'm very demanding when it comes to recipe books. Not for me are books that contain lots of photos but not much in the way of recipes, or those that sell a lifestyle without actually giving you authoritative advice on cooking techniques. But this one is just brilliant. As well as providing hundreds upon hundreds of carefully worked-out, utterly reliable recipes (have a look at the Index in Search Inside if you don't believe me), Lebovitz is extremely good at explaining technique and showing you exactly what to do. The book is really quite comprehensive - as well as the obvious variants like gelato, Philadelphia-style, sorbet and granita, it also tells you how to make other bases, for example with soured cream or condensed milk, and gives recipes for sauces, mix-ins - such as candied nuts - and even 'vessels', like cones.

Also, I love the slightly goofy picture of Lebovitz holding an ice cream cone on the back flap. You can see it in his eyes that he loves ice cream as much as I do!

Presumed Innocent
Presumed Innocent
by Scott Turow

3.0 out of 5 stars Overwritten but pacey, 10 Nov 2011
This review is from: Presumed Innocent (Paperback)
Ooh, I thought. A courtroom drama about a glamorous babe who's been the victim of a nasty murder. My mum, a lawyer who knows a good cross-examination when she reads one, said this book was totally gripping. (And revealed the corruption of the US legal system, where judges and prosecutors have to campaign for election.)
Well, she wasn't wrong. But here's what IS wrong with Presumed Innocent. The author, along with being a lawyer, taught Creative Writing at Stanford. It shows - but not in a good way.
He can't resist a nifty adjective here, a few superflous words there (some of them clangers). Wherever possible he plunges into the psyche of the narrator, Rusty Sabich, spending a few paragraphs telling you about his deepest feelings. This slows down the pace and also makes it obvious that Sabich knows more than he lets on. Turow drops some heavy hints, so much so that the ending is completely guessable, as are pretty much all of the twists and turns of the book. I don't think I was ever surprised by anything that happened. That pesky foreshadowing, eh.
In addition, no one in the book is likeable. I don't generally mind this, but when you have to plough through pages of soul searching by an unlikeable narrator, you start asking yourself if you care. The book also suffers from its misogynism; fundamentally, although the women in it are thrown a few token scraps of motivation, character etc., they don't really ring true. They're fundamentally only objects for the use of men, or mirrors in which men can see themselves reflected.
It's gripping, and I read through to the end. But I won't be reading the sequel.

That Touch of Mink [DVD]
That Touch of Mink [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cary Grant

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic battle-of-the-sexes comedy, 10 Nov 2011
This review is from: That Touch of Mink [DVD] (DVD)
She's an unemployed computer operative - he's a rich businessman. She wants marriage - he wants an affair. Prepare yourself for a classic 1960s battle of the sexes comedy.

Doris Day is her usual adorable self as the good girl who has come from a small town to make something of herself in New York, and Cary Grant is suave and debonair. But the real joy of this film is not in the characters, or even the jokes (some of which are a little thin), but in the detail. The depictions of early 1960s New York are fabulous, and so are the cars and the clothes. Doris flies on a plane; she eats lunch at an automat; she's taken to Bergdorf Goodman for a new wardrobe; she works with a hilarious vision of a 1960s computer complete with flashing lights. How much more modern could you get in 1962? This is a wonderful view of glamour and modernity, 1960s-style, and a classic depiction of a girl Having It All in the city.

Draper Expert 44984 Stainless Steel Patio Weeder with FSC-Certified Ash Handle
Draper Expert 44984 Stainless Steel Patio Weeder with FSC-Certified Ash Handle
Offered by tools247

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and quick to use, 31 Aug 2011
Each of the three edges of this patio weeder is sharp, so you can scrape along or hook between slabs depending on how deep the roots of the weeds there are. It makes really fast work of the job and is thorough too - because of the hook, you don't have to worry about leaving roots in that will spring up again. I definitely think having the version with the longer pole makes the job easier as you don't have to bend and can do a lot at once.

Rolson 10675 1kg Stoning Hammer
Rolson 10675 1kg Stoning Hammer

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully wieldy, 16 Feb 2011
I'm using this to break up some concrete posts in our garden, together with a chisel thing. It's an ideal weight for this because it gives your hammering plenty of power, but it's still easy to direct, which is useful if you're not working on something horizontal.

Mooncup Model A Menstrual Cup
Mooncup Model A Menstrual Cup
Offered by Purely Health

5.0 out of 5 stars No more rubbish!, 14 Feb 2011
I remember when I switched from towels to tampons at about the age of 15 and the feeling of liberation it gave me. The mooncup has given me even more freedom than before. It's not perfect, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. It doesn't leak - I don't have to wear a pantyliner in the first couple of days. I can't feel it at all. My bathroom bin is empty - everything just washes away and it feels so much cleaner and tidier, especially when you go to the toilet with no string in the way. Best of all, because of its capacity, I don't have to count the hours since the last change or run to the loo at work all the time with my telltale handbag - I just change it when I get up, once at lunchtime, once when I get in from work and lastly at bedtime. It's actually easy to forget you have your period. I'm not squeamish but I admit it can be messy, especially if your basin or water source is some distance from the loo, and although I found it easy to use from the start some people report teething problems with technique of insertion etc. But I'm definitely a convert.

Page: 1 | 2