Profile for Anne Ward > Reviews

Content by Anne Ward

Anne Ward (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Two People (Capuchin Classics)
Two People (Capuchin Classics)
by A. A. Milne

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, and a timeless gem, 19 Jun 2013
I adored this book, and it left me wondering what might have happened if Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends hadn't been such an enormous success. Not that I would wish that to be the case, but Mr Milne might have had the time to have written more novels aimed at slightly older people. It is a witty and very wise insight into the rambling thoughts of the central character, and most particularly concerning his relationship with his wife. There are beautiful descriptions of the home and garden that he loves, and although there is a certain serenity to the passages that solely involve the two main characters, there are plenty of other interesting individuals sprinkled throughout the plot. I certainly plan to read it again.

Capital Letters: The Best Of Ruefrex
Capital Letters: The Best Of Ruefrex
Price: 9.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic memories, 9 May 2009
I grew up loving this music, and it's great to have all these totally under-exposed songs in one place to listen to again. Anyone who knows and likes them will tell you that the Belfast music scene of the late 70s and early 80s was far more than just SLF. Rudi, The Outcasts, Ruefrex... and later Big Self (whose line up included Gordy Blair of Ruefrex and various other bands as well, including Rudi!). This is *real* music, real passion, very incisive, intelligent lyrics that weren't afraid to really hit the spot, where others may have danced around the point a bit. Singer has a great, strong voice, and you have to hear it if you think you love SLF - these guys can show them a trick or two! I used to hang out with Big Self for a while years ago, so if any of you guys are reading this, a big "hi"!! Hope you're all doing well, whatever you're up to...

Welcome to the Real World
Welcome to the Real World
by Carole Matthews

3.0 out of 5 stars it grew on me, but..., 25 Oct 2007
I've not read any of Carole Matthews' other books - I just bought this by chance for a holiday read on the basis of the summary on the back cover. However, it took me quite a while to warm to the main character (never a good start!) and I have to echo another reviewer's comment that it was irritating the way it was contrived that such misunderstandings between characters occurred and persisted. In fact, I found most of these misunderstandings a little unrealistic, but less unrealistic than the main thread of the story, which was the instant and deep love (not just attraction) between two people who hardly knew each other. I hate giving up on a book, but several times I was tempted. Having said that, I persisted and did gradually warm a bit to the characters, which is why I think it probably deserves 3 stars.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
by Susanna Clarke
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss out!, 28 Sep 2007
Firstly, to those last two reviewers who gave up only part way through this book, I have to say you've missed something; in the sense that I mean I'm sorry that you decided not to persist because I truly believe it would have been worth it. To other potential readers of the book, please do not be put off, unless you seriously think from what you've read from a consensus of reviews that this book won't be your thing. Yes, it's very long, yes, there are lots of footnotes, but to me it was an absolutely magical experience all the way through. Admittedly, you do need to have a little bit of time on your hands to keep the momentum of reading going (it's great occupation if you suffer insomnia!) The book has incredible atmosphere - I read it more than 18 months ago and found it a wonderful winter read, because it lends itself more to dark skies and bare trees, in my mind, than sunshine and warm days (not that we saw much of that this summer, of course!!) I was thrilled when the author's later book was published, The Ladies of Grace Adieu, in which Jonathan Strange briefly appears, but have to say, much as I adored JS&MrN, I was hugely disappointed when I read this later short story collection and cannot necessarily recommend that. However, I'm sure one day I'll re-read Jonathan Strange - all 1000 pages of it! The fact that I'm looking forward to that has to justify my 5-star rating on its own, I think.

999/Separates
999/Separates
Price: 7.33

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love 999, buy this!, 28 Sep 2007
This review is from: 999/Separates (Audio CD)
How this takes me back! As a childhood punk (well, lifetime punk in spirit!) I used to listen to both these albums endlessly. As happens to us old punks, we have to give in and buy our beloved vinyl treasures on cd or other digital means these days to keep up with the times;-) This cd is amazing value, and, unlike some other old favourites, the songs appear to have stood the test of time. Homicide and Emergency are two of the greatest songs of their era and still sound brilliant in 2007. If you don't know 999 (maybe too young to remember them) they were hard to classify. If you look at the covers and the very strange dress sense, you might wonder why people refer to them as a punk band. They're not in the mould of the Pistols, SLF, Clash etc, but they have their own sound that endures. Not sure about some of their later albums, though... don't think I'll be buying them again on cd... but this bargain compilation of 2 of their best albums is a must-have.

Stitch 'n Bitch Nation
Stitch 'n Bitch Nation
by Debbie Stoller
Price: 10.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation?, 28 Sep 2007
This review is from: Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (Paperback)
I am a keen knitter, having started as a small child in 1970s darkest Sussex, where there wasn't much else to do ;-) Suffice to say I have quite a bit of experience in knitting. I was recently given this book as a present. There are some lovely designs in this book and some less lovely, but the crucial thing for me that can spoil this book as a UK-based knitter is the US terminology. It's not just the needle sizes; it's the differing abbreviations and yarn weights/types etc, and I do find this gets in the way sometimes. As other reviewers have stated, if the author had at least given a generic yarn type throughout for the US yarns so that we could attempt to substitute them, it would have made such a difference. Some patterns do benefit from a better description of yarn type than others - again, as other reviewers have said, this suggests sloppy editing in that the book lacks consistency in this regard. I thought it was just me when I read through a pattern several times very carefully and still couldn't understand it. Now I realise that it was probably just one of the mistakes that have been identified by other reviewers. Another minor point is that several patterns use circular needles, which I personally detest, but of course other knitters may not. In summary, if as a UK knitter you can get past the semantic obstacles, there are some great patterns, but do watch out for errors and be careful/lucky when choosing your yarn!

Why The Long Face
Why The Long Face
Offered by slcmusic
Price: 35.90

3.0 out of 5 stars bought on the strength of amazon reviews!, 4 April 2007
This review is from: Why The Long Face (Audio CD)
Here's a strange one... I am a longtime Stuart Adamson fan, being of the right age to have adored The Skids when they were first around. As happens to us non-teenagers, we get the urge to revisit the music we loved then and perhaps fill some gaps concerning bands we stopped listening to. Big Country was a case in point for me - I wanted to replace some vinyl classics with cds and during that process on Amazon I stumbled upon reviews for this later cd I'd never bought. The comments convinced me to buy, but I have to say, on first listen I thought I'd never listen to it again. I was about to write a review, and then I read again the comment that said this was one that grew on you, and so thought it only fair to give it another go. Second time around it wasn't as bad - in fact parts of it are good and probably indeed will grow more on me - but it is essentially soft rock and a bit samey. Not Stuart's greatest achievement, but if your taste is less towards The Skids and Big Country's early career and more towards that kind of music, you may adore it. It still has that unmistakable Adamson stamp on it, which for those of us that loved his music really gets you in the heart, and I'd never want to say a bad thing about the guy or his music. Hope this helps other potential buyers, and I wish peace to his soul.

The Black Parade
The Black Parade
Price: 6.03

5.0 out of 5 stars the best album of 2006, 30 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
I'm old enough to remember punk [and I don't mean the tame, ironed-over version of it that we've been treated to by some 'punk' bands in the last 10 years] and grew up listening to the Clash, SLF etc. MCR are unique - I like the description 'emo punk titans' used on this page, because they really do have a lot of strings to their bow. They embody everything that's good about guitar music from so many genres - some definite thanks owed to Thin Lizzy in Ray Toro's guitar - yet they add their own totally contemporary and individual brilliance to everything they do. On this new album, there is the growing trademark MCR sound, which really is unmistakeable - in itself the sign of a great band. Yes, you can hear shades of many 70s, and some 80s, bands in this album: pre-Ure Ultravox, The Sweet even, and on the brilliant 'Mama', I am thinking there might be a son of Nick Cave somewhere in MCR, but essentially these guys stand alone as having a very definite and unique sound. In a time when we have a lot of lame, over-hyped 80s clone bands cluttering up the airwaves, MCR are a shining, huge talent. And amazingly, they're even getting played on Radio 1 now!

They have, as has been said elsewhere, matured amazingly quickly. The excellent 'Three Cheers...' was a distinct improvement on the 1st album, and I thought was going to be very hard to beat, but the Black Parade is just one level above, quite clearly. They've always written witty lyrics and had great song titles, but they're clearly just surpassing themselves with each album. We've had new albums from Muse, Placebo etc this year, but I've got to say the Black Parade is the best of them all in a good year. Downside is, we'll never see them play a small club again! If you love good music and appreciate genuine talent, buy this fantastic album. And I'm not one of their mums, I promise!!

Meds [CD + DVD]
Meds [CD + DVD]
Offered by langton_info_england
Price: 51.23

5.0 out of 5 stars love it more each time I listen to it, 3 April 2006
This review is from: Meds [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I don't think I'm the 'typical Placebo fan' as I know virtually nothing about the band themselves, but ever since I heard Nancy Boy all those years ago, I've loved their music and of course bought every album as it came out. This new one's a stunner - the first 4 tracks are amazing, and another highlight is One of a Kind - what a great sound! I think I've become addicted to these 'Meds' - get some yourself and see what effect they have!! Every time I hear it I love it more and want to hear it again.

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, 12 Oct 2004
I have to admit that I feel very mixed about this book. I would agree with another of the reviewers wholeheartedly that the style of the book suggests that the author is just waiting for someone to turn his book into a film! It was an entertaining enough holiday read, though, although I have to admit that what I found most consistently irritating about it was the rather patronising tone often used. Clearly, it's written by an American who primarily intended it for an American audience without much knowledge of Europe - he bizarrely describes the Champs-Elysees as "often described as Paris' version of Fifth Avenue", or some such line. Really?!! Seems a little implausible to me. And then of course there's the predictable choice of nationality for the 'baddie' :-) Yes, it's very Hollywood. And there are times when you're frustrated with how long it takes the so called code-breaking expert characters to crack the various problems. But overall, it's fun, if you're not expecting it to be the best book you've ever read.

Page: 1 | 2