Profile for baker1920 > Reviews

Content by baker1920

baker1920 "i live for books" (Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2
Decowall, HPG-31822, 100cm X 1m, Leaves Frosted Window Film (privacy, decorative glass film)
Offered by Fixpix-Decowall

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Oct. 2014
Easy to put up and my kitchen window looks amazing, now have light and privacy. Highly recommended.

Paul Hollywood's British Baking
Paul Hollywood's British Baking
by Paul Hollywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the other useful reveiew I have all of Mr ..., 11 Oct. 2014
Like the other useful reveiew I have all of Mr Hollywood's books, use How to Bake and Bread all the time and the recipes all work, have great results. Only got this book yesterday and sat and read it with a coffee. As usual you have concise, clear instructions, and lovely pictures. I can't wait to start cooking as there are lots in there that I hadn't seen before. My advice is to ignore the first review and if you love great recipe books then I think you will be very happy with this one.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2014 4:15 PM BST

Made in India: Cooked in Britain: Recipes from an Indian Family Kitchen
Made in India: Cooked in Britain: Recipes from an Indian Family Kitchen
by Meera Sodha

5.0 out of 5 stars Best curry book ever!, 13 Aug. 2014
I am a great collector of cookery books and this one has gone to the top of the pile. Brilliantly laid out
with great instructions and lovely picture. Got it saturday and have already 4 dishes, has the pistachio
and yoghurt chicken curry, was gorgeous. My husband made the chicken livers and had a go at masala
chai. I tweeted the author praising her for this book and she kindly said that I could ask her anything
If I got stuck. Buy this book, you won't be disappointed. Can't believe that there are a couple of bad reviews
for this.

Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter Book 1)
Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars unputdownable!, 3 Aug. 2014
Lost 2 days reading this as I couldn't put it down. Loved the style of writing and the characters. Can understand why some reviewers are making comparisons to Jack Reacher, has that same easy style. Just downloaded the short story and waiting for the next one. Highly recommended.

Snap on 1-4 (Quarter Inch) Quilting /Patchwork Foot with Edge Guide for low shank domestic sewing machine by 60°®
Offered by c9store

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic service, great product., 10 Aug. 2012
I ordered this yesterday as having problems with my seams on patchwork. I am yet to use this but wanted to give a review already as it has arrived this morning and is perfect. The company have delivered very quickly and also included some printed leaflets on patchwork and sewing. Highly recommended.

The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking
The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking
by Hairy Bikers

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but check the recipes!, 26 Mar. 2012
I bought this as I had watched the first episode of the series and had to have the recipes. I rushed out and bought all the ingredients to make the lemon and cardamon biscuits and the jarlsberg cheese and ham pies. Made the pies first as the recipe seemed to take a while. It was totally wrong and as a slightly inexperienced baker I didn't realise till near the end. 1025ml of liquid to 950g flour!!!!I ended up with a lumpy mess which went in the bin, total waste of time and money. Will try again but amend the dough part so it should work out ok. I then made the lemon and cardamon biscuits which were absolutely gorgeous! So far 1 recipe is great and 1 isn't, hence why this gets 3 stars only. For looks etc the book gets 5, just let down by what is clearly either a typo or someone not checking properly. Would I recommend this book? Yes I think I would but I would double check the recipes and I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2012 4:29 PM GMT

Kenwood kMix Stand Mixer - Raspberry Red
Kenwood kMix Stand Mixer - Raspberry Red

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this machine!, 15 Mar. 2012
I already had a stand mixer which was perfectly adequate but incredibly noisy so didn't use it much, just for dough really, but had always coverted either a Kmix or kitchen aid and would spend hours reading reviews. I finally settle on this one and then set about saving for it. However, I got a bit of money given so bit the bullet and placed the order. Delivery was next day and I was like a kid at Christmas. Got it out of the box, read the instructions and then set about making pizza dough for that nights supper. It was much better than in my previous mixer! I must admit I found it hard to believe some of the reviews that people had posted saying how much better their cooking was but now I totally believe them! Made some biscuits at the weekend and creaming the butter and sugar was easy. And have I mentioned how quiet it is? Am super impressed with this machine and would urge anyone sitting on the fence undecided to jump off with both feet and order one, you won't be disappointed. So far I have only really made bread in it but even this was a lot lighter than previous attempts. Looking forward to many years of brilliant baking.

Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts
Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts
by Pam Lintott

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, I love it!!!, 22 Nov. 2011
I have Jelly Roll Quilts and am currently making a quilt from it but couldn't wait to finish that one before getting more inspiration for my next one. Ordered this book after seeing it in her shop, (I am lucky to live near) and am so please with it. The designs are great and my only advice is to not be limited by the fabric she has chosen. The quilt I am making is blue and white in the first book but I am using Kaffe Fassett fabric and it looks fantastic. The books are great to inspire you and you will be spoilt for choice on which to pick first. Definitely one for the collection.

Fabric Flowers (Twenty to Make)
Fabric Flowers (Twenty to Make)
by Kate Haxell

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 22 Nov. 2011
I having been crocheting roses for a while and wanted to try some fabric flowers. Having found a pattern on the internet that was very successful, I want more so ordered this. On the whole it is very good although I would only make 3 or 4 of the flowers included, one of which was the pattern I got from the internet. A well laid out book with good photos, this is good value for anyone looking to make some flowers but doesn't want to spend a lot on an expensive book.

Patch!
Patch!
by Cath Kidston

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book from Ms Kidston, 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Patch! (Paperback)
I have all of Cath Kidstons books and whilst I love to look at them I have yet to make anything from them. This book is of the same high standard and I am sure that one day I will get round to making something. Patchwork is a new craft to me and I am currently making a large quilt but these projects are smaller and would be more useful to practise on. A good book for those who love Cath and patchwork, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2