Profile for Ms. E. Arkady > Reviews

Content by Ms. E. Arkady

Ms. E. Arkady "Arkady" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Diary from Dixie
Diary from Dixie
by Mary Chestnut

5.0 out of 5 stars The real side of Dixie, 18 April 2015
This review is from: Diary from Dixie (Hardcover)
I first came across Mary Chesnut in Ken Burns' documentary about the American Civil War. Her diary was quoted extensively in that great film. This book is the full collection of diaries she wrote during the war, and how grateful we should be for them having survived. They are both witty and desperately sad, illuminating and yet at times confusing. Despite all that, they left a profound impression on me, especially towards the end when Sherman marched to the sea despoiling everything in his path. It puts the lie to the idea that the Yankees were somehow on the side of right, they were in their way, as bad as the Confederates. As a friend said, there are no winners in any war! Read and be moved

Henry Plantagenet
Henry Plantagenet
by Richard W. Barber

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and accessible biography of King Henry II, 18 April 2015
This review is from: Henry Plantagenet (Hardcover)
I'd been desperately searching for an accessible biography of Henry II for ages, I'd found lots of great books on Beckett, William Marshal, Eleanor of Aquitaine, the Plantagenets etc, but nothing really about King Henry II in his own right. I'm not an academic, just a general reader of history and the two books I found on him on Amazon that I bought were both so heavy and dense as to be off-putting. I returned one of them as it was mis-descrfibed and gave the other to a charity shop. Trouble is, this book doesn't include his full name in the title, I'd been searching on Henry II and of course it never showed up. In the end I found this book on Abe books due to a helpful bookseller adding Henry II to the title.

Anyway, to the point: This is an excellent and accessible book about Henry II which covers his entire life without major digressions and is great for a non-expert like me. Having said that, its not so simple as to be shallow, all the major events and characters of his life are covered and I ended up feeling as if I knew him so much better.

Thanks to Richard Barber for writing such a great book :-)

Duracell Halogen lamp, Globe, E14, 230 V, 42 W, 2700 K, 630 lm, Dimmable
Duracell Halogen lamp, Globe, E14, 230 V, 42 W, 2700 K, 630 lm, Dimmable
Offered by ECOTRONICS

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 25 Mar. 2015
I really like these bulbs, they give a bright white light and are lower energy, not quite low energy, but the quality of the light is so much better than low energy bulbs. The picture on Amazon doesn't show it, but they are branded Duracell and come in the original boxes. I use them for illuminating my paperweight collection and for this they are just perfect :-)

The Battle of Flodden Field: The Defeat of the Scots by the English, 1513
The Battle of Flodden Field: The Defeat of the Scots by the English, 1513
by Robert Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointingly slim volume, 11 Jan. 2015
This book is definitely not worth the money, being slim in the extreme. It is hardback, but thats about all it has going for it. After 50 brief pages about the battle, there another 30 pages of notes and references, which are annoying to have to keep cross referring to, then to cap it all off, another 18 pages of adverts by the publisher! Not recommended

The Norman Conquest
The Norman Conquest
by Marc Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars Rivetting, 12 July 2014
This review is from: The Norman Conquest (Hardcover)
Utterly fascinating history book, lucidly written and covers not only the Norman Conquest itself but the events leading up to it and its ramifications afterwards. 10/10 and totally recommended

A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain
A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain
by Marc Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the hardback, 12 July 2014
I bought this as the paperback and was very disappointed as the print was so tiny it was very hard to read. I struggled on for a while but eventually gave up and donated it to our local charity shop. HOWEVER, what I did read was very interesting so what I did was order the hardback, which was a fabulous improvement and it is a gripping tale of one of our greatest kings. Amazon list the hardback but at the time of ordering it wasn't expected in stock until 2015! So I bought it from ABE books instead. If you have good eye sight its brilliant as a paperback and very good value, but if like me you need clear print, get the hardback.

Western Digital WDBBXV0010BBK HD Passport MAC 1000 GB External
Western Digital WDBBXV0010BBK HD Passport MAC 1000 GB External

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute but a bit slow, 9 Sept. 2012
I bought this drive to replace a G drive that I'd had which kept freezing Time Machine, and sometime other applications too. I looked at a comparable G Drive products but the one I was most interested in had reviews which kept referring to the fact that the drive de-mounted for no apparent reason, I finally settled on this drive based on the reviews and the fact that it was USB 2 and Mac compatible (I'm running Snow Leopard).

Anyway, first impressions are excellent, its really cute to look at and matches the black and silver of my Mac perfectly, the cable is perhaps a littler short but that wouldn't cost much to rectify. It worked straight out of the box as promised and I set Time Machine on its merry way. It took ages though to back up 220Gb of data and applications, having said that, it wasn't a problem, I just left it to its own devices and watched a movie. Once the Time Machine backup was complete subsequent back ups were very quick, I wouldn't want to be transferring such large volumes of data on a regular basis to this drive though. The G Drive I had previously was connected via Firewire 800 which seemed much quicker, but the faults of the G Drives already referred to count them out for me.

A word of warning though. If you enable the security function which requires a password to mount, it doesn't look as if you will be able to access this from a clean hard drive (I had a hard drive fail on me and the Time Machine backup from the G Drive worked like a dream, but this had no security on it). The reason for this is that to enter the password you need to do it though the My Passport security software, which of course you wouldn't have access to from a clean hard drive. I chose to risk it and not password protect the drive, instead protecting individual files with a password.

In the end I'm very satisfied with this small but powerful 1 Tb drive but my reservations about speed and security just prevent me from giving it a 5 start review

Janacek String Quartets
Janacek String Quartets

5.0 out of 5 stars Very special and a generous coupling, 30 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Janacek String Quartets (Audio CD)
I first came across Janacek's haunting chamber music in the film The Unbearable Lightness of being, it took me a while to track down the exact works being performed but when I did, I turned up these gems. I can't speak highly enough of this music and this recording in particular, a view shared by none other than the BBC Radio 3's CD Review who said "This is something very special, an outstanding release!" It was also HiFi world's Record of the Month, and the Sunday Times' Record of the Year. In essence the Lindsay's play with style and finesse and to me, sound to be well in tune with the idiom of Czech music, they make an especially excellent rendition of the "sul ponticello" (on the bridge) passages. I've subsequently heard the second string quartet performed live but it was nothing like as good as this.

The coupling is Dvorak's Cypresses for string quartet, which coupled with the Janacek gives a total running time of just short of 75 minutes, brilliant value.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this interpretation of these mysterious works.

Pugin's Gothic Ornament: The Classic Sourcebook of Decorative Motifs with 100 Plates (Dover Pictorial Archive)
by Augustus Pugin

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful source book from A W N Pugin's father, 8 Feb. 2012
This book is giving me great pleasure, it is a treasure trove of gothic design from England and France drawn with affection by Augustus Charles Pugin, the father of the rather more famous Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin of House of Commons fame. It contains 100 plates, all in black and grey and white, from a variety of locations, all of which have their source location credited. It's interesting that some of the sources are from objects in Pugin's own collection; the Pugin's were avid collectors of architectural relics in the days when such things could be bought for very little or even acquired from rubbish bins. I digress, if you are a fan of Pugin (either of them) you will love this book, there is very little text but a feast of gothic ornament, a real treat for the eyes and it makes an excellent compliment to the early chapters of Rosemary Hill's "Pugin and the Building of Romantic Britain". Purchase both and be amazed.

Best Movies of the 70s (Taschen 25)
Best Movies of the 70s (Taschen 25)
by Jurgen Muller

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy NEW to avoid finger prints, 3 Jan. 2012
I absolutely love this book, which contains some of my fave movies such as Death In Venice, Klute, Annie Hall and Cabaret. The text is fascinating and the illustrations just superb.

One warning though, the text is printed white on black glossy paper, which apart from being hard to read, picks up finger prints something rotten, I had to wash my hands every time I came to it to avoid marking it. Its OK though with new books as they come protected by shrink warp so avoiding anyone else's prints, I wouldn't buy one used though, no matter how good the seller says they are then you know that the prints are entirely your own. This proviso applies to the 80s and 90s editions of this book too

Having said all this, I wouldn't let the prints issue put you off because it is an absolutely superb book, and reasonably priced, which gave me much pleasure and encouraged me to buy lots of DVDs from Amazon!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3