Profile for Mrs. S. Jones > Reviews

Content by Mrs. S. Jones

Mrs. S. Jones "Sophie Hannah" (Cambridge, UK)

You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know
You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know
by Heather Sellers
Price: 15.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning. Life Changing. A Rare and Wonderful Book., 14 Oct 2011
I cannot BELIEVE the previous reviewer gave this only 2 stars. This is one of the best, most honest, most searingly effective biographies I have ever read. I loved every word of it, and am recommending it to everybody. It's a close-up, in-depth look at not only an incredibly dysfunctional family but also the rare and frightening condition of face-blindness. There is no other book like it - I recommend it to everybody who is interested in human beings and the way they behave.

In Office Hours
In Office Hours
by Lucy Kellaway
Price: 5.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, clever, loved every word of it, 1 Feb 2011
This review is from: In Office Hours (Paperback)
This is a fantastic novel about relationships. It's wise and funny and moving, and every word of it rings true. I couldn't put it down.

Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanasi
Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanasi
by Geoff Dyer
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most brilliant books I've ever read, 21 July 2010
I loved everything about this book, which makes trying to describe its brilliance a little tricky - I hardly know where to begin. The 'Jeff in Venice' part of the book is linked to the 'Death in Varanasi' part in the most amazing way - so that each section is thoroughly and intrinsically imprinted upon the other, so that it's impossible to define the exact relationship between the two, and yet impossible to deny that there is one. Some reviewers here have said that the two parts are separate pieces randomly stitched together, but that wasn't the feeling I had as I was reading. I had a sense of peeling back layers and finding connections everywhere. And, incidentally, if I were to find out that the two parts were written separately and then randomly joined for commercial reasons, that wouldn't in any way detract from my appreciation of the whole that those two pieces became. In some ways, given the subject matter of the novel, that would make it even more perfect. What else did I love about the book? Jeff is a brilliant character, and the 'Jeff in Venice' section is brimming with comic genius of the most serious kind. There's a scene in which Jeff meets someone at a party, and says to him, 'What have you been up to, very briefly?' The man regales Jeff with a catalogue of miseries and tragedies, and, instead of expressing sympathy, Jeff responds by saying, 'Nothing bad will ever happen to me, will it, Charles?' That has to be one of the best moments in the whole history of fiction. And there are many others in this stunningly brilliant novel.

Until it's Over
Until it's Over
by Nicci French

5.0 out of 5 stars No one writes thrillers like Nicci French - brilliant!, 29 Mar 2008
This review is from: Until it's Over (Hardcover)
Nicci French's novels are unusual in that they are not only extremely clever, psychologically astute thrillers, but they are also strong, atmospheric stories about contemporary women's lives. This one is about Astrid, a bicycle courier in London, who starts to worry when she realises someone is deliberately killing people she knows - either to scare her or to implicate her, she thinks. Like French's other novels, this one feels horribly, chillingly plausible - you can actually imagine it happening to you, or someone you know. The structure of this book, without wanting to give anything away, is very clever and surprising - almost a little shocking, even, but it certainly works. The best thing about French's novels, though, is that the voice and atmosphere are absolutely unique and recognisable as 'Nicci French World', and linger in your mind long after you've finished reading. French's crime novels also have a refreshingly humane feel to them - the writer(s), one senses, have a real faith in human nature, so that the books are always uplifting, despite the murders they contain. The villains aren't frothing-at-the-mouth psychos, they're flawed, damaged people that it's hard not to identify with to a certain extent, whatever they've done. Last but not least, this novel, like French's entire oeuvre, is absolutely gripping and impossible to put down, and leaves you desperately keen to get your hands on the next one.

Temptation
Temptation
by Douglas Kennedy
Price: 6.62

5.0 out of 5 stars The most gripping book I've read in ages, 5 Sep 2007
This review is from: Temptation (Paperback)
This book is addictive - I couldn't put it down, and stayed up until 2 am last night to finish it. It's totally excellent from start to finish, a flawless novel, and I am baffled by the number of previous reviewers who have critized it. I've read a couple of other books by Douglas Kennedy - A Special Relationship and The Big Picture - and found them extremely gripping too. This one I started, and after three lines, I couldn't be dragged away. It is that rare-thing: an exquisitely-written pageturner. By exquisite I don't mean poetic and flowery; I simply mean that the writing flows, the rhythm of the prose is good, the characters are vivid and plausible. Douglas Kennedy is a novelist of extremes, and he pulls it off brilliantly: his characters and his stories are vast, not little and modest. Incredible things happen; his stories are ambitious, exuberant, almost larger than life, but he gets away with it. His goodies are more likeable than those of most writers (eg Alison the agent) and his baddies more awful (eg the ruthless Sally). Most of all, Kennedy is a fantastic storyteller - his stories make most peoples' seem colourless and tepid. I am now going to read all his books that I haven't already read.

Hidden
Hidden
by Katy Gardner

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best psychological thrillers I've read for ages, 4 Oct 2006
This review is from: Hidden (Paperback)
I had high hopes for this book as soon as I spotted it in the shop, and it totally lived up to my expectations. It's brilliantly structured, immaculately plotted, and the heroine is a compelling, flawed, sympathetic and well-realised character who really draws us into her mind and heart so that we identify with her completely. The setting is brilliantly realised, and the feeling of fear, of the ground constantly shifting, of creeping uncertainty being everywhere, is skilfully evoked. There's a great twist at the end (which I must admit I guessed), and, even more impressively, there's a brilliant final section from the point of view of the policeman which is the perfect end to the book, and which made me realise how many books have disappointing endings. Utterly gripping from start to finish.