Profile for Ian Marriott > Reviews

Content by Ian Marriott

Ian Marriott

The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy 3)
The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy 3)
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory ending to a brilliant series, 16 May 2014
I was recommended this book series by my son and had previously never heard of Peter May. I started reading the first book and immediately knew I was going to enjoy the whole series. I have spent some time in the outer Hebrides so I know the landscape of both Harris and Lewis and this series transported me back there very successfully. The characters are people you want to get to know better and their personal journeys back into their own childhood and the history of the island life is fascinating. Parts of the story takes place in Edinburgh, in particular Dean village, which is now a beautifully picturesque part of the city, and an orphanage which is now the Dean Gallery, part of the National Gallery of Modern Art. I have rcently visited the city and done the tour of the places where many of the events told in the story took place. Sounds sad, I know, but it just goes to show what effect the books had on me and how very real the story was to me.

I would highly recommend the series.

Earth Abides (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Earth Abides (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by George.R. Stewart
Price: 7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Best post-apocalyptic fiction ever, 26 July 2012
Quite simply the best post-apocalyptic fiction, ever. Some say 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' is better, but in my opinion they are wrong. Compared to 'Earth Abides', 'The Road' is dreary. The only problem with Earth Abides is that they should have made a film of it years ago. My only hope is that someone does do the film one day but please don't leave it too long. I read Earth Abides for the first time over 30 years ago and every 5 or 10 years I feel the need to reread it. Some say it is dated but I think not. Unlike a lot of science fiction the 'science' has been lost to humanity and man must continue without it. Because of this simple fact it cannot date. Earth Abides and so does this book.

Draper 63470 125 mm Hook-and-Loop Lambswool Polishing Bonnet for 63124 Random Orbital Sander
Price: 3.38

1.0 out of 5 stars Draper 125mm Hook and Loop Lambswool Polishing Bonnet, 1 Jun 2012
I must admit that I may have made a mistake purchasing this item. I wanted a replacement bonnet for my Silverline sander/polisher which has a 125mm head for easier control in addition to the larger one supplied with it. The original bonnet was a silverline one which I used very successfully to compound the hull of my boat. (I used 3m Imperial Compound for best results). I saw the Draper bonnet was cheaper than the silverline one so I thought I would try it out. The first thing I noticed when it arrived was that it was very thin ( no more than half the weight of the SIlverline product). In use it is not very good. It didn't properly cover the head so you were in constant danger of catching the surface being polished with the edge of the head. Secondly it didn't do a very good job and didn't last very long. I gave up in the end and ordered another one by Silverline . To be fair I now see that it is described as being for a random orbital polisher. The silverline polisher is not an orbital but a rotary so that may have been the reason for it not performing very well.