Profile for Patrick McHugh > Reviews

Extraordinary Golf (Perigee)
Extraordinary Golf (Perigee)
by SHOEMAKER

5.0 out of 5 stars Rotella does not even come close..., 10 Jun. 2007
What a fantastic book. The first time I read it I was so intrigued by the club throwing exercise that I missed most of the other messages that Fred was writing about.

Having now read the book several times, it is now all the other stuff he talks about that intrigues me. Thanks to Gallwey and Murphy, I had already started to play the game with more joy, but Fred has helped bring me to a new level.

I am also a golf coach and, like Fred, have been searching for a better way to coach my students.

It's a pity I didn't come accross this book sooner as I would have coached myself and others much better and we could all have played in a more peacefull state.

Thanks Fred.

Buy it, read it, try it.

It is just fantastic, natural, and extraordinary.

Golf in the Kingdom
Golf in the Kingdom
by Murphy Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Shivas Irons, 13 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
I am often caught reading Michael Murphy's adventures with Shivas Irons in this book, 'Golf in the Kingdom'. In it Shivas had a 'list of people who knew'. What it is they knew he unfortunately doesn't say but I like to think that he was referring to their capability to activate positive inner energy.

As I mention in the title, I love Shivas Irons. He is in my top ten of people I would most like to meet. Along with him are Mozart, Victor Hugo, Joan of Arc, Jesus of Nazareth, Gandi, Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Sherlock Holmes and Michaelangelo.

My wife can't understand why I read this book so often and she asks me, "What is so important about that damn book?"

To which I always reply, "My quest to find 'true gravity'."

So what is 'true gravity'?

It's sometimes described as 'feeling force', 'heart power', 'adrenelin rush', 'consciousness-force', 'gravity-with-loving-eyes' or my own personal explanation ' the energy dam'.

I open my dam and let the warm syrupy energy flow out during my down swing.

Bobby Jones called it adding 5-10 mph to the force of gravity. I know what he meant.

As Shivas Irons describes it, it's not difficult to achieve. We used to drop into this state in battle. These days we use it to swat flies or throw a stick for our dog. It is there. You just have to know how to activate it.

I see the top sportsmen doing it all the time. It needs a little focus and then when its activated, you just have to let it flow.

What is it then?

For me it's a warm feeling that runs from my throat down through my core to my naval. Or what the orientals describe as using their 'Chi' or 'Ki'.

I have days when this syrup is so rich that I just know I'm am going to hit the ball well and other days where I have a mellower syrup which creates less impressive results. I turn my thoughts to some of Shivas Irons words and the richness soon returns, or 'retoorns' as he would say it.

I do fortunately summon the rich syrupy feeling more often these days and enjoy miracles and great pleasure on the golf course.

Imagine you are going to swat a fly, kiss a beautiful girl, or you have won the lottery. It doesn't matter what does it for you it is important that you feel it and when you do, receate it again seconds before you swing and you'll hit great shots.

Read about it in this wonderful book and then try it out on the course. I am sure it will work for you every bit as good as it works for me.

Sandy MacDuff