Profile for Subtle Sensor Photography > Reviews

Content by Subtle Sensor ...

Subtle Sensor Photography

Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It Means for Modern Relationships
by Christopher Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowing!, 18 May 2014
They've really 'done a Dawkins' with this book.

And by that I mean, they've taken a lot of complex theory and presented it in a way that is witty and engaging from start to finish. Not only that but this book will have you questioning everything you think you know about yourself in the same way The Selfish Gene did - and much like that book, it has a controversial title to hook you in in the first place.

This is easily the best non-fiction book I've read since The Selfish Gene and the scope of modern tropes decimated by the theories within is simply mind blowing.

Hey you, yes, you! Read this book then share it with your friends!

Do My Thing (Feat. Janelle MonŠe)
Do My Thing (Feat. Janelle MonŠe)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 18 May 2014
Up beat and positive vibes - makes for a great alarm tone =D)

Quality track though - i don't mean to cheapen it by setting it as my alarm - it means it's a track I can stand to listen to every day =D)

The Chimp Paradox: The Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness
by Prof Steve Peters

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly good., 18 May 2014
as a model, the chimp paradox is incredibly useful - a simple, guilt free way of understanding ourselves.

There's a lot of useful information and useful practices outlined in this book and I wish everyone would read it!

It suffers from being a little too repetitive and simplistic at times but I guess some people really do need the points hammered home, so it's just something to be aware of.

Discussing the way this model works with female friends has lead me to believe that men will relate better to this - men are much happier to see their emotions as a separate being than some of my female friends are! But keep in mind that this is just a model to help deal with real life but not strictly real - and anyone can get on board with this.

Cloak of Magic (Shaihen Heritage Book 1)
Cloak of Magic (Shaihen Heritage Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Rich, 20 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book. Mostly because the characters are so three dimensional and have just as rich inner lives as they have plot driven adventures. Not one of them is purely good or bad.

This book was a real page turner, the action builds nicely and the intrigue plays out with enough suspense to keep the reader engaged. Even though this is the first of a trilogy, it doesn't leave you on a cliff hangar; so you can take it or leave the next book. I for one enjoyed this so much I'm off to buy the 2nd one now.

A Short History of the World
A Short History of the World

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction to global history., 29 Aug. 2013
This is a thoroughly engaging read. I've never had much interest in history but often wondered how it all fits together, and this - relatively short - book serves as a perfect overview.

It's well written, easy to read and was so interesting I didn't want it to end! There were a few parts, particularly when dealing with non-European events, where I felt it would have helped to go into more detail but nothing that marred my enjoyment.

The addition of the maps of ancient territories as they changed hands was a big help in helping to get everything to sit right in my head.

I would recommend this to anyone who has a passing interest in/curiosity about our history.

Hama Lens Cap Supersnap 46mm
Hama Lens Cap Supersnap 46mm
Offered by DiscountDiscs

4.0 out of 5 stars Legendary Hama Quality for bargain basement prices., 8 Jan. 2013
I just love january sales, don't you? I remember when this lens cap was £99,595 and now look! I picked up this gem for a third of it's full retail price and I'm pleased to say, this deal was well worth it.

The legendary Hama quality can't be faulted, this item works as a coffee coaster, a mini frisbee and can even be used in place of a ball-gag. Unfortunately, I spent my life savings on this, so I can't yet use it as a lens cap because I need to save up to buy the lens first!