Profile for N. M. Heavisides > Reviews

Content by N. M. Heavisides

N. M. Heavisides "pulgogi" (bournemouth)

Japanese Movie - Eki Station (Limited Low-Priced Edition) [Japan DVD] TDV-24019D
Offered by uniqueplace-uk
Price: 17.27

1.0 out of 5 stars no english subtitles, 18 Mar 2014
This is a rating of the dvd for those who do not speak Japanese, NOT the film.
I bought this dvd, assuming that as it was on sale with amazonUK (NOT amazonJP) there would be english subtitles. I couldn't understand most of the dialogue, so cannot accurately review the film.

La Dolce Vita (CE) (2 Dvd) [Italian Edition]
La Dolce Vita (CE) (2 Dvd) [Italian Edition]
Dvd ~ Anouk Aimee
Offered by VECOSELL
Price: 13.36

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent quality, 22 Jan 2014
This is a short review on the DVD, not the film itself, which has many well written reviews. I chose this DVD after reading various reviews as at the time of writing the Italian edition has the highest recommendation.

The Italian edition of La Dolce Vita has 2 DVDs, one with the film and one with the extras. This version lasts 167' (according to IMDB there are other versions of varying lengths). I don't know why it says on the back of the case, "Durata:178'".
The picture quality is excellent, beautifully clear in black and white with easy to read english subtitles.

Sadly the extras DVD has no english subtitles, but if u speak Italian (sadly I don't), u will not be disappointed.
The DVD contains:

Presentazione di Maurio Porro: 5'42
I ritratti di Enzio Biagi: Federico Fellini: 43'09
Caleidoscopo: 1'08

plus written information about the film, cast and crew.

Fallen Angels [Blu-ray]
Fallen Angels [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Leon Lai
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars artificial eye blu-ray, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: Fallen Angels [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As there have been so many reviews of the actual film, I wanted to write about specifically the copy of the artificial eye blu-ray I bought. While the picture quality of the film (that I have grown to really like and enjoy more with every viewing) is excellent, sometimes the non-speaking audio is a bit off. The closest I can describe it is to a plane passing overhead in the distance. Almost like the audio is blurred. eg. when its raining, when the mute shuts up Midnight Express, even when he's being beaten up by a group of men in a cafe. I have a DVD of Fallen Angels and the audio never does this at any point.
I am very happy there is a 23min interview with Chris Doyle.
Has anyone else noticed these issues on their blu-ray copy, or is it just on mine?

The Amazing Spider-Man (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
The Amazing Spider-Man (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Andrew Garfield
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 4.85

2.0 out of 5 stars The UN amazing spiderman, 4 Jan 2013
If this film had been made in 1999 it would have been memorable simply for its CGI, but in 2013 it just doesn't cut it. Its ok if u just want to pass 2 hours and have nothing else to do. Otherwise its dull, unengrossing and the characters are all underdeveloped meaning u don't care if any of them die. I'm giving mine away after watching it just once (waste of 10). I rated the Tobey Maguire Spiderman trilogy 5 stars as I loved the action AND the human side that went so much deeper than this film. And if it hadn't been for passable CGI I would have only given this film one star. The story and background is just lame. I'm getting bored writing about it now...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 11:55 AM BST

After Life (Wanda Furu Raifu) [DVD]
After Life (Wanda Furu Raifu) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Takashi Mochizuki
Price: 8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars unin, 4 Jun 2012
I expected 'After Life' to portray a range of emotions, considering its subject. Numerous people are interviewed by the guides, but all seem to have very similar 'emotions' or 'reactions', to my mind, indifference as they all speak in the same tone of voice. There are no pivotal moments in the film; no particularly appealing use of the camera; no scenes or dialogue which stand out.
The concept of a 'way station between heaven and earth' is definitely creative, and an interesting idea to explore, but sadly these are the only positive points I can make.

Cloverfield [DVD]
Cloverfield [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lizzy Caplan
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.00

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 out of 10, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cloverfield [DVD] (DVD)
I love hand held camera in films eg. Husbands and Wives, Chungking Express, but in Cloverfield this effect was so overused and not used well either. After 5 mins I was starting to feel dizzy. As I recorded it off the TV I kept forwarding it 5 mins at a time hoping to find a part where the camera didn't shake so much or where I would find some meaningful dialogue with a bit of information in it. I didn't. The one time I came across a still shot it was totally boring to look at, turning out to be a close up of a kind of backpack. Total rubbish.

Hot Fuzz [DVD]
Hot Fuzz [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Hot Fuzz made me laugh one time, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: Hot Fuzz [DVD] (DVD)
As Hot Fuzz is advertised as a comedy and only made me laugh one time, I gave it one star. Nearly all the 'jokes' are crude, rude and uncreative. I may have found it fun to watch with friends when I was 11 or 12. Everything else I think about Hot Fuzz has been written in other one star reviews.
However, if u really want this DVD there are over 200 used copies available starting at 1p plus postage, so if u find that when the F word is added in dialogue funny, or blood, death and gore comparable with a slasher film funny, then this film will have you rolling on the floor.

Wings of Peace
Wings of Peace
by Udo Lindenberg

1.0 out of 5 stars don't let the kids look, 3 Aug 2011
This review is from: Wings of Peace (Hardcover)
I was very disappointed. From the description and the cover, I thought it would be predominantly landscapes. It isn't. There are a lot of shots that show only the people. There are some very sweet ones of kids, but there are also far too many nude ones. Some I found very offensive. I don't want to see mens genitalia. When they are wearing white angels wings, it just makes it even more offensive; sacreligious too. My copy went straight in the bin.

NY Export: Opus Jazz (New York City Ballet/Jerome Robbins) [DVD] [2010]
NY Export: Opus Jazz (New York City Ballet/Jerome Robbins) [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Henry Joost
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A visual treat, 22 July 2011
This film is beautifully shot and the choreography is innovative and fascinating. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. It begins with several shots of different locations leading into the dancing, which I felt was beautifully complemented by the film angles and enhanced by the musical score. I didn't want it to finish. However, it ends with a lovely mosaic of locations and people in New York.
The film and dance combined with the music results in a captivating performance. I would highly recommend this DVD for anyone with an interest in contemporary dance or film. (my main interest is in film)

Comedy Classics Collection Vol.2 [DVD]
Comedy Classics Collection Vol.2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eddie Byrne

1.0 out of 5 stars take care when buying, 25 Feb 2009
I can't believe that any company would try to pull one like this. I haven't bought this set thanks to the reviews, but I agree with them. I bought Miss Robin Hood and it is thoroughly enjoyable, so definitely buy the box-set or individual films if u need them but make sure u dont buy both sets!