Profile for RD > Reviews

I Am Sam [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Sean Penn
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars top class, 11 Nov. 2007
This review is from: I Am Sam [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I have watched this movie so many times and yet it always manages to bring a tear to my eye. The acting is brilliant and one really grows attached to the characters, especially Sean Penn as Sam. A wonderful movie in all aspects. Definitely worth watching but don't forget the tissues.

Tango [DVD] [1993]
Tango [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Philippe Noiret
Offered by Qoolist

4.0 out of 5 stars Tango, 11 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Tango [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
The movie begins with Vincent killing his wife and her lover after finding out about the affair. Although it probably shouldn't be the manner in which he does so is rather funny.
Some time later we come across Paul who's wife, Marie, has gotten fed up of his affairs and leaves him. Unfortunately he finds that he is incapable of enjoying his new found freedom as he cannot stop thinking about her.
The two men are connected through Paul's uncle who was the judge in Vincent's murder trial. Turns out he played the jury to ensure a not guilty verdict and now he wants payment - Marie's death.
What ensues is a road trip of sorts as the three men head off to find and kill Marie. Along the way they discuss the merits and pitfalls of women and why it's best never to get attached. They also meet various characters having their own relationship issues which further strengthens their case.
I'm not sure if any comedy value is lost in the subtitles but I still managed to enjoy this film thoroughly. It's not at all serious and should be taken with a pinch of salt. I dare say feminists out there probably won't take too kindly to much of the dialog!

The Interesting Bits: The History You Might Have Missed
The Interesting Bits: The History You Might Have Missed
by Justin Pollard

4.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, 27 Oct. 2007
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great collection of little tidbits of information, mostly useless in everyday life (unless you want to impress with a witty tale!) but worth reading nonetheless.
Justin Pollard as accumulated lots of 'interesting bits' of history that are for the most part fascinating and do, in some ways, have relevance in our everyday lives to this day. For example, the origin of the phrase 'Bob's your uncle' or why we refer to the President of America as 'Uncle Sam'. I found those type of tales to be the best ones and luckily there are quite a few.

As with any history book of course not all the stories will be to ones taste and will in essence be a little dull to the individual. The positive side is that all of them are pretty short and easily glossed over. There is also a 'contents' section for easy reference if you need proof of your statements in a hurry! (though he does say some things may not be entirely accurate as it's a bit of folklore mixed in with documented events!)

If you set pub quizzes I dare say you might find this one rather handy.... :)

Greatest Hits - The Road Less Traveled
Greatest Hits - The Road Less Traveled

4.0 out of 5 stars The hits, 27 Oct. 2007
How nice to have so many of Melissa Etheridge's best tunes on one album. Obviously, fans will disagree on exactly which tracks should/shouldn't have been included and to some extent even I feel that way (hence the 4 stars), but you can't please everyone/ put every song on it!
I do think it is a good mix of songs ranging from her oldest to newest (obv not 'The awakening') albums. Plus there are 5 new songs which are great.

'I run for life' is so inspiring especially since I first heard it after spending a couple of months attached to a Breast Care Clinic. A very meaningful song that anyone who has been affected by this cancer in some way will be touched by.

'This is not goodbye' is on the sad side but thats not unsurprising as she wrote it about her time undergoing chemotherapy. I don't like this quite as much, the melody just doesn't seem right.

'Christmas in America' is a classic ME in terms of content. She goes for the jugular in the most roundabout ways. The lyrics appear to be about someone who's loved one is away in the war during xmas time and asks for them to be brought back home. Something I believe many American and British families are now saying. I must say I wish this was the last song on the album so it would be easy to skip. I feel rather silly listening to xmas songs in the middle of the year!!!!

'Piece of my heart' is a rendition of the famous Janis Joplin song. I think its a 'love it or hate it' song which may depend on how you feel about the original/other versions.

'Refugee' is the opening track and also a newbie. More of the typical ME in terms of music and lyrics. A good track to start off with.

The other songs on the album are oldies so I won't go into it!
Not a bad album to get if you don't have any others as it actually is a good snapshot view of what she's all about, might inspire you to get the others too!

The Cottage
The Cottage
by Gerri Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars so-so, 23 Oct. 2007
This review is from: The Cottage (Paperback)
I agree with the previous reviewers this is below par for Gerri Hill. I still managed to enjoy the book because there was strong emotion between the characters and also in the protagonists own life struggles. Plus there were moments of Ms Hills usual brilliance.
The big problem I had with it is how cheesy some bits were! ...They were just drawn to each other and when their eyes met felt they'd met before (probably in a past life)... *eye rolling*. Definitely expected more from Gerri Hill but I guess it might appeal to some.
The plot itself is quite heartbreaking as it is begins with Jill attending Carries funeral from afar. There she meets a perfect stranger and begins to tell their story, that of 2 married women who fell in love.

To be honest I probably wouldn't recommend you buy this (borrow from a friend or library if at all possible) , especially if you haven't read a book by this author before - it may put you off for life. .. but really, she is generally on the ball!

The Lives of Others [DVD] [2006]
The Lives of Others [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Martina Gedeck
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars East germany, 23 Oct. 2007
Imagine the big brother world we worry about becoming your reality. The government intelligence groups aimed not at your country's enemies but at you. That was the reality in East Germany as The Stasi made it there mission 'to know everything'.
'The lives of others' follows the tale of one such investigation from its conception to where the key players ended up years later. It is brilliantly filmed as we get the story from the side of the Stasi operator (weisler) doing the monitoring and the writer (dreyman) he is listening to. Soon Weisler realises that the reasons of his mission are not National Security but for the personal gains of a Minister. Embittered in what the service has come to stand for and taken in by Dreyman and his girlfriend he begins to do little things to keep them safe and together, even though it means risking his life.

The story is heavy, the characters played to perfection but the movie never strays into the land of melodrama and unlike Hollywood films doesn't need guns, bombs and people busting down doors to keep the suspence alive.

The Awakening
The Awakening
Offered by beaches_music_canada

4.0 out of 5 stars The awakening, 17 Oct. 2007
This review is from: The Awakening (Audio CD)
I agree with the previous reviewer in that this might not be for all her old fans. I myself have pretty much all her other albums and found this one hard to like at first. I was rather disappointed as she's strayed away from the rock-chick songs of loving, longing and hurt.
There are a few music clips which are just a minute or two long. At first this annoyed me because it meant less music and that I wasn't really paying for 16 songs! I've grown used to them as little interludes which set the scene.

`Threesome' and `Message to myself' are more upbeat/pop themed tunes which have grown on me. They are good sing-along additions to the album and provide a playful balance to the more serious songs on there.

That is essentially the main difference in this album compared to old - the meaning of the songs. These are more serious, political and based on what is happening in the world. `heroes and friends', `the kingdom of heaven', `open your mind', `the universe listened' and `imagine that' all fall into this category.
I think `imagine that' is incredible but the others are so-so. `The kingdom' of heaven reminds me of guns and roses with the harsh guitar that dominates it. Powerful words on all but generally not quite my thing.

`california', `an unexpected rain' and `map of the stars' are more personal songs which I think are brilliant. The first two talk about how she left home to search for fame and the cost of it on people she hurt along the way. The latter deals with how far she (and others) will go to achieve it and the aftermath - stop eating, start smoking and drinking... Well written song with a rather catchy tune too.

`I've loved you before' is the love song of the album and the first track I fell in love with instantly. It is the Melissa Etheridge of old who manages to pick the strangest and yet most meaningful way of conveying depth of emotion.

The final song is also one of my favourites and encompasses what to me the whole album is about. `What happens tomorrow' asks the question `if not now, when?'. If we keep saying USA isn't ready for a female president or we'll change tomorrow when will it happen, when will we be ready? A brilliant piece of work that makes a good close to `The awakening'.

Kissing the Witch
Kissing the Witch
by Emma Donoghue
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars modern day classics, 3 Oct. 2007
An impressive book on the whole. It is comprised of several short stories but each one is linked so that one story leads to the next. It is made even more unique by the use of characters of classic childrens stories to give them a new meaning/view/ even ending. If you don't know the stories you'll probably miss the relation as it can be subtle at times but I think it's a brilliant touch.

Worth a read if you're just looking for something out of the box or short but interesting.

The Sleeping Doll: Kathryn Dance Book 1
The Sleeping Doll: Kathryn Dance Book 1
by Jeffery Deaver

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars if it were possible!, 1 Oct. 2007
Too much of anything is good for nothing... something my mother always told me as a child and how right she was. I have a fear I may have read far too mcuh Deaver for my own good leading to 'The sleeping doll' being unbelievably predictable! I won't lie and say I figured out all the twists (some of them just blew me away) but quite a lot of it seemed rather obvious to me. This may prove to be a similar problem for other Deaver fans and seeing as his brilliance lies in the amazing, unpredictable twists and turns of his books it might cause some serious disappointment.
The other thing that bugged me was how perfect everyone seemed. Other than the fact that Ms Dance is a widow everything seems right as rain. Her kids are wonderful and so talented they can't decide what sport/intrument to play, she's not only a cop but runs a successful online music site, she's had about 3 different careers (all which went wonderfully till she got tired)etc.. I mean, come on!

I certainly wasn't as impressed with this as his other works. I have however given it 3.5 because I like that he's exploring a new avenue of police work - kinesics. A lot of people have done general police work, criminalistics and pathology etc... so this is kinda fun. I hope he does give us more of Kathryn Dance but with a bit more clout.

For One More Day
For One More Day
by Mitch Albom

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 1 Oct. 2007
This review is from: For One More Day (Hardcover)
Mitch Albom has this knack for writing short books that say so very much.

In 'For one more day' the story revolves around 'Chick' and his relationship with his mother.
Upon coming to the conclusion he has reached rock bottom in life he decides to commit suicide which results in him being united with his dead mother 'for one more day'. It is a very emotional reunion as it causes Chick to think about all the times he'd let her down and picked to stand up for (and please) the father who was never there over the mother who never let him down. He also finds out things about her that he never knew before, the sacrifices she made for him and the reason his parents got divorced....

A lovely book that made me think about all the ways I've let my mom down and taken for granted that she'll always be here. I imagine it will provoke that feeling in a lot of you. This is a great book and I will be recommending it to just about everyone I know!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20